Hey buddy, can you let me hold a Scamp? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-19-2013, 11:51 AM   #15

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnKK View Post
As I understand right now the Scamp is 7ft 10 inches, I would need to lower it by 11 inches. So if it has 13inch wheels and tires and I put 8 inch wheels only I think I would still come up short. But since I have airbags on my truck could I fill them up to lower the back end of the Scamp go about half way then lower the truck air bags to fit? Sound good?

Shawn I am assuming you measured yours to come up with 7' 10" exterior height? The outside height is different on all of them - depends on whats been added on top - different AC's and TV antenna's, hatch covers etc. are all game changers.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:58 AM   #16

British Columbia
Registry
This is a popular type of trailer dolly a number of people use for moving their trailers around when unhooked from the tug but I dont think it would help much in lifting the front end of the trailer up high.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:17 PM   #17

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
The following long ongoing thread posted by a member about renovations to his 1991 Scamp 16 may interest you- lots of pictures and ideas: Preparing a 1991 Scamp 16

Per your seven foot garage door:

Would resting the trailer on its drums actually lower it by eleven inches? You might measure that distance with the tires still on it before going down that road!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:26 PM   #18

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
Knowles! Wonder if your a long lost sister of mine? My family is from NC but I see your in WA. Never know. I don't have the answer if it would lower it enough by resting it on the drums. I see the only thing on top is a roof vent. But if I let it rest on the drums I would think I could get another 9 inches or so and if I am only 2 inches off I would think using the truck air bags I could get the rear in then lower the truck to get the front down. Maybe, maybe not. If I had to rent a storage space I will but only if all else fails. Thanks for the link I will ck it out now :P
Old 04-19-2013, 12:40 PM   #19

Registry
Knowles is my married name- I don't know of any NC connection in my husband's family, but as you said- one never knows! He did spend most of his youth in the South- New Orleans specifically, with a stint in Wa. D.C.- his Dad was in the Coast Guard.

Per using the truck to lower the front:

Maybe I don't understand the physics here, but I don't see how that gets the tallest point at the hubs/wheels through the door, especially since it's a (fixed) pivot point...or is the tallest point elsewhere (air conditioner up front etc)?

Francesca
Old 04-19-2013, 12:47 PM   #20

Florida
Yap, your right, I guess it was a wishful thought. I am not sure just riding on the drums would give me enough room.
I have no idea what I was thinking. Riding on the hubs should only give me maybe 4 to 5 inches. Not enough. So much for that. But thanks everyone!
Old 04-19-2013, 12:58 PM   #21

Registry
An inch may as well be a mile... I s'pose there's no chance of enlarging the door opening?

Francesca
Old 04-19-2013, 01:21 PM   #22

Florida
The only reason I would have to put it in the garage is because of HOA. I live on the beach in Florida and we cant even have a boat in the driveway. I guess if I want the Scamp bad enough I will have to get storage but we plan on moving soon so maybe our next house if we can find one without a HOA will work. Seems like in Forida all the homes are in HOA areas. I have till Sunday to think of something! Thanks again...
Old 04-19-2013, 01:35 PM   #23

Registry
Oh, yeah- the dread HOA rules...

Since you're moving anyway, short term offsite storage sounds like a good solution...if you're committed to buying a trailer and this one's a good deal it'd be a shame to let it slip away.

And hopefully you'll find a new house with either taller garage doors or no HOA rules against parking the trailer outside!

Best of luck to you...

Francesca
Old 04-19-2013, 01:40 PM   #24

British Columbia
Registry
Shawn the over all outside height of a basic Scamp 16' trailer from the factory (taken from a 1991 form that came with my trailer) would have been 7' 6". Thats only with the big escape hatch they had on the roof. Adding AC or an TV antenna will change that. I added a Fantastic Fan to mine and that takes it up about an 1" due to its cover being more dome shaped than the flat cover on the escape hatch. If someone has added a rain protection cover over the fan then that again raises the height up - but that can be removed.

The HOA issues is pretty common to developed neighbourhoods. Have some rules re how long and when boats and trailers can be in front facing driveways here as well. But it is across the whole city.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:52 PM   #25

Florida
7 ft 6 you say is better than what I was told of 7 ft 10. It only has the vent on top which I would have no problem to remove it has needed if I had to. So if I ride the drums and it would get me 4 to 5 more inches I would still be short by 2 inches. I just called storage and it is 60 a month and if that is what I have to do, so be it. I want to take my kids camping. I always look back as a kid thining of the days of camping......... Great times.....
Old 04-19-2013, 01:59 PM   #26

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnKK View Post
........ I would still be short by 2 inches...........
You can also load it with sand bags and compress the suspension 2 to 4 inches - I'd guess.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:04 PM   #27

Registry
That's the spirit, Shawn- my favorite trips with my Trillium have ALL been with the Grandkids....

Keep us posted!

Francesca

P.S.

Here's one more peabrained thought: This would be a radical solution, but if you can't go "up" with the opening, can you then perhaps go down?

It occurs to my remodeler's soul that if one were to bust out the concrete directly beneath the door and dig down a ways, a "trough" might be formed that for everyday purposes could be bridged with, say, composite decking or some other attractive but relatively light material. But when moving the trailer in/out of the space the decking piece could be removed, allowing the wheels to drop down and ride through the low spot.

Simpler still would be to do something similar, but just for the footprint of the Scamp wheels...a couple of strategically placed foot wide "troughs" perpendicular to the door and through that stretch would do the trick.

Just a thought from Make-it-Fit Central!

Francesca
Old 04-19-2013, 02:22 PM   #28

Florida
Again WOW, So stupid but yet so smart. And to think I am a Prototype Mech. I never even thought of that. And it is cheaper! Dig out two grooves a couple of inches and fill it in a the level you need. Gd I could kiss you. You my lady have won the sweet heart of the day award. And to think all I need was a kick in the a$$.
A hammer drill should do the trick. Now you have me thinking of ideas for the ground level and not the top. Wonder how thick the pad is on the garage floor. Bet I will find out. Thank you Thank YOu Thank You. And it is cheaper than a storage unit. Has anyone done this before??

Tags
scamp