Hey buddy, can you let me hold a Scamp? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-21-2013, 11:04 AM   #41

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnKK View Post
Update, I went to see the Scamp early. This deal was too good to be true. Has anyone ever washed a Scamp with Ajax and a Scotch Brite pad? Has anyone bought a re-glassed Scamp floor but still you can see grass thur the floor? It didnt get any better. This was a total re-do project. He did lower the price to 3 grand so if anyone is looking for a wreck let me know and I will send you his link for the Scamp. Good thing I left the money in the back till after I saw it.

I am still looking for my Scamp.
Oh, well- there'll be another one!

FYI:
Not sure if you mean you could see "grass" or "glass" through the "reglassed Scamp floor", but Scamps came/come with wood (usually osb) floors that have a clear coat of fiberglass resin on them- no glass fiber is used there. The molded shell is top/sides only, and it's attached to the deck at the edges.

But if you could actually see GRASS through that floor, please do clarify that point!

Good luck with the search...

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:24 AM   #42

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Hmmmm.... You might want to rethink your decision.....

1. $3000 is dirt cheap for a 1990 16' Scamp that has an intact shell, most of the interior, appliances that work, and a clear title. By June a turn-key version of that Scamp will be selling for close to $8-10K in CA or FL, it will be HOT....
2. Cleaning the outside with Ajax (or BarTenders Friend) and a scrub pad, is about the best way to clean an aged gelcoat and make it ready for 4-5 coats of ZEP Wet-Look wax. For another $30 and 4 hours work, it will come out looking like new gelcoat.

IF (big if) I wanted a 16' Scamp project, I would be giving it a very close look.

However, considering your garage/storage issue, it might not have bbeen a good deal at any price it if won't fit.... You might try looking for a garage friendly FGRV like a Hunter Compact or a Campster.

Here's my Hunter Compact-II: http://s363.photobucket.com/user/adv...28590359987084

Good Luck Huntering.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #43

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
I did mean grass. He didnt re-glass the bottom. Just one of many lies he had in his ad. He told me it would float,lol. I am not sure anything workd in it. I asked about everything then had to see for myself. The only thing I saw that did work is most of the lights. AT 3 grand it would be a total strip down to rebuild it.
If I had the room I would love to do a total remake but I have no room. The only thing that comes to mind that could be saved was all the windows but the big one in front. It was cracked and the seals show signs of water coming in. What I wanted was one I could use this summer and by then we would be moved into our house then I would have the time and room to do a project like that.
I was told he re-glassed the bottom and it was perfect. Nothing was needed. My wife wouldnt even go in it. I found signs of mice droppings. Like I said , if I had the room I would have made him a offer. I was pissed that I spent my time and gas just to go see it. The frame looked like it was in very bad shape. He lived on the beach and you know what the salt water does to metal. I was adding up the cost to place parts and I couldnt see it but my wife knew I wanted it for a rebuild. Anyone want the link?
ShawnKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:38 PM   #44

Registry
Sure- we'd all love to see the ad if you'd like to share it, Shawn.

Sorry it turned out to be such a dog...

Francesca
Old 04-21-2013, 01:01 PM   #45

Florida
I just pulled up his ad to share with everyone and he dropped the pric to 3500, it did say 4 grand and he told me he would take 3 grand as I walked away.....
1990 SCAMP CAMPER 16 footer
Old 04-21-2013, 01:18 PM   #46

Registry
Thanks, Shawn

Are you 100% firm that you're out of the picture there? I ask 'cause we have a referral section here and I'll post the ad for the Scamp there if you're throwing in the towel. Could still be a deal for someone that wants to do the work!

Just don't want to "broaden the crowd" if you're still thinking of buying......

Francesca
Old 04-21-2013, 01:21 PM   #47

Florida
Yap, I am out. Do what you will. It would cost way too much for me to get it in shape. It is a total loss for me.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #48

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnKK View Post
Update, I went to see the Scamp early. This deal was too good to be true. Has anyone ever washed a Scamp with Ajax and a Scotch Brite pad? Has anyone bought a re-glassed Scamp floor but still you can see grass thur the floor? It didnt get any better. This was a total re-do project. He did lower the price to 3 grand so if anyone is looking for a wreck let me know and I will send you his link for the Scamp. Good thing I left the money in the back till after I saw it.

I am still looking for my Scamp.
SORRY to hear Shawn it didnt work out for you

Unfortunately the answer is yes in regards to the practice of washing a Scamp with scotch brite pads and Ajax - actually Bar Keepers Friend is the current fav here. Its growing trend in the fiberglass trailer community. Been the topic of many a good debate here and a wee bit of a head scratcher for me for some time now.

So I take it the floor was shoot due to leakage? from what?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:50 PM   #49

Florida
I understand if one would wash the gel coat with Ajax if they plan to re coat it. Everything about it was shot. Water heaer water lines floor the crapper front window it would be better to tell you what was good about it. And as soon as I can figure it out I will tell you. Read the ad and talk on the phone with the owner and he will tell you what you want to hear. I should do a post on his ad about it isnt what he says it is. He sounds like my ex wife. All lies. The wheels and tires didnt even match up. All seals and tires are dry rot and the inside is a total re do. The good part is the stove is worth saving. Read his ad and then think being in a junk yard. Lord, tell me the truth. I would have made a offer if he told me the truth but it would be alot less than what he wanted. Notice the pics, why are they so small that you cant see?????
Old 04-21-2013, 08:12 PM   #50

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
And the pic are side ways too I'd be ticked off after making a trip to find that too.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:33 AM   #51

Florida
He has changed his ad 3 times since I looked at it. Now he says it is 1990 so it is not perfect! lol
I just wanted to use it this summer and this winter fix what needs to be fixed. None of the water lines work without leaking. It did have the bunks in the front but they couldnt be use because they ripped away from the wall. I asked about the bathroom and he said it never had a potty in it , that it was made for a port a potty. Not true, he had tape over the area where the potty once was. If I was to give him 3 grand for it I would have to spend more than that to fix it up. And if I spend that much I rather buy on in good working order in the first place. Now if I could get it at a grand and put about 3 or 4 more grand in it I would have something after a year or so. So no, it was not worth the 4 grand he had on his ad last week. I think he used it to store crap in. From what I seen he never did any thing to keep it up. I mean how long does it take to plug the leaks. The seals around the windows was shot and letting water in and the smell......
Bottom line he said it was in good shape ready to hit the road camping. Which is what I wanted. I asked him to open the awning and he acted like he didnt know how. I had to show him. The camper jst sat and rot for the whole time he owned it and to tell others how wonderful and great shape it is in?
I dealt with Craigs List people before and for the most part good. I sold a dog crate to a lady for 25 bucks. After she left I counted 15 bucks. I never emailed her back just put it to learning how some are.
I dont understand why people lie like that. If your selling a red object and when people get there it is blue WTF. I would rather buy a new one but I wont deal with a dealer. I just bought a new car but I went thru Costco. I did try to go thru Costco and Sams but they dont have RV sales no more. Maybe I will try my USAA credit union....
Old 04-22-2013, 02:04 PM   #52

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
I used USAA when I bought my 16 Delux Scamp. step #1 I called USAA, #2 I called Scamp and said what I wanted and floor plan. #3 sent check for $500 or so as down payment.. #4 waited 3-3 1/2 Mo. (was going to pick up in MN) delivery was a few days to late for me to make trip. had delivered to MM 10 in TN. #5 added it to my insurance policy thru USAA. Mines been good, I had one issue the water fill was broke when installed.. I replaced myself, It was not worth the time to go thru Scamp to fix ($12)
"I found out at a bad time that it was broke, when I needed to use water tank in 2010 in N AL."
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp