Hey buddy, can you let me hold a Scamp? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #1

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
Hey buddy, can you let me hold a Scamp?

Hello, Don't hit me too hard (being new). I think I just found a great deal on a used Scamp and since I know next to nothing about them I found myself here. Where can one find the old manuals to these campers? I call the Scamp peeps and I guess the fire did them in on all that info. I should be picking her up Sunday a 1990 16 ft Scamp. I am just going off the pics that was sent but it looks really good for that age. I think I am getting a great deal and hope I am not being roped in. I have read alot about them on this site and have being reading alot but, is anyone post any paper work on Scamps? I am not new to the RV life style but I am new to Scamp.
So if anyone has or knows of any info of a 1990 16 ft Scamp please point me where to find find any and all the info one would want.
I have my fingers crossed that Sunday is my lucky day!!!!
ShawnKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:20 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
There is a lot of information in the Document center including a Scamp manual.

Fiberglass RV - Document Center - Scamp
Old 04-18-2013, 05:12 PM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Time will tell. I hope you got one that needs very little. But if it needs a lot of TLC, you've found a good resource in this forum. Folks here have fixed just about anything that ever needed fixing on Scamps.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:19 PM   #4

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Welcome to the Forum Shawn and congratulations.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:24 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
to FiberglassRV Shawn. We're glad you're here!

And yes, we're all hoping the trailer is everything you need and want. Download the Buyers Check List, print it and take it with you. It will remind you of things to investigate.

Good luck!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:39 AM   #6

Florida
Thank You everyone for the nice welcome!
Can some one point me to someone that can give me a few tips on the 1990 16 ft Scamp? I called Scamp and they said they are all the same but a couple things has changed since the "FIRE".
#1: Did anyone come up with a great idea on getting this thing in a 7ft garage?
#2: I read where the height is 7ft 10? Would that be from the top of the vent?

Thanks goes out to Thomas G. for helping me find the
Fiberglass RV - Document Center - Scamp I wished it had the specs in it.
I pick the Scamp up this Sunday and would love to fit it in the garage before the HOA finds out and takes me back to court (again).

If anyone has around a 1990 16 ft Scamp with pics in your profile I would love to see them.
Once again Thanks everyone!
Old 04-19-2013, 09:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnKK View Post
I pick the Scamp up this Sunday and would love to fit it in the garage before the HOA finds out and takes me back to court (again).............
Lots of tricks to lower FG trailers. Use the Google search function to find many suggestions. Like these.

• Use 8" rims with no tires or use a car dolly to move it on hubs.
  • Take off the vent cover
  • Add weight inside like sandbags to lower it on its suspension.
Wheel Only 8 Inch 5 on 4-1/2 Inch Tires and Wheels | etrailer.com

Vehicle Dollies - 2 Piece, 1500 Lb. Capacity
Old 04-19-2013, 09:33 AM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Welcome Shawn.

I have a 92 16' and the owners manual that is on the Scamp website today is pretty much the same as what my manual reads as far as how items work and maintenance and specs etc. Just a bit more detail as to the how to's. There have been *very* few changes to the current Scamp 16' vs older ones. The real big one is they did sometime in the early 90's move the electrical and city water connection from the passenger side of the trailer to the drivers side ;-) The fixtures they used for those connections are still the same though. They also changed the hitch to except a 2" ball & the style of the rear lights. Some of the appliances such as the fridge & electrical convertor are different models though but wired up the same way. They also stopped offering the AC placed in the bottom of the tall closet at some point and offer it on the roof only now. Thats pretty well it as far as major :-)) changes that I am aware of or I have noticed when looking at new vs old. The inside layouts have remained pretty well unchanged on the 16' - hard to tell a new scamp from an older one inside - although there may be a layout or two they didn't offer before. About all they have really changed over the years inside is as said the make/model of fridge and the upholstery fabric and its not been many years that Scamp has actually started to give a few few options of colour choices in that regard so people often use the colour of the upholstery when looking at the inside of an older Scamps as a way to determine what decade it was built in. Even the door knobs on the cabinets & interior lights etc remained the same up until a couple of years ago when the companies who made them stopped making that style. There may have been a few other changes on the 16' but all pretty minor.

I don't recall ever hearing that any of the dimensions on the Scamp 16' changed after the fire which was in 2006. The Scamp 13' did though have a change in its interior height which was 6'1" until the fire & changed after the fire to match the interior height of the 16' which is/was 6'3".
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:51 AM   #9

Florida
As I understand right now the Scamp is 7ft 10 inches, I would need to lower it by 11 inches. So if it has 13inch wheels and tires and I put 8 inch wheels only I think I would still come up short. But since I have airbags on my truck could I fill them up to lower the back end of the Scamp go about half way then lower the truck air bags to fit? Sound good?
Old 04-19-2013, 10:31 AM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
As I understand right now the Scamp is 7ft 10 inches, I would need to lower it by 11 inches. So if it has 13inch wheels and tires and I put 8 inch wheels only I think I would still come up short. But since I have airbags on my truck could I fill them up to lower the back end of the Scamp go about half way then lower the truck air bags to fit? Sound good?
I could not keep our Scamp 13' connected to our tow vehicle to back it into our garage, even with the 8" wheels without tires. I made a small dolly like unit with a trailer ball on it, to connect our trailer to it, and use our Jeep's winch to pull the trailer into the garage.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:31 AM   #11

Florida
Tom could you just take the wheels off and put the drum on the wheel dollies?
Old 04-19-2013, 10:32 AM   #12

Florida
David, do you any a pic of that on this site? Thanks
Old 04-19-2013, 10:35 AM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
David, do you any a pic of that on this site? Thanks
No, but a furniture moving dolly modified to accept a trailer ball is what it looks like.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Tom could you just take the wheels off and put the drum on the wheel dollies?
Yes, that is the suggestion.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:51 AM   #15

Registry
Quote:

Shawn I am assuming you measured yours to come up with 7' 10" exterior height? The outside height is different on all of them - depends on whats been added on top - different AC's and TV antenna's, hatch covers etc. are all game changers.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:58 AM   #16

Registry
This is a popular type of trailer dolly a number of people use for moving their trailers around when unhooked from the tug but I dont think it would help much in lifting the front end of the trailer up high.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:17 AM   #17

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
The following long ongoing thread posted by a member about renovations to his 1991 Scamp 16 may interest you- lots of pictures and ideas: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...6-a-46387.html

Per your seven foot garage door:

Would resting the trailer on its drums actually lower it by eleven inches? You might measure that distance with the tires still on it before going down that road!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:26 AM   #18

Florida
Knowles! Wonder if your a long lost sister of mine? My family is from NC but I see your in WA. Never know. I don't have the answer if it would lower it enough by resting it on the drums. I see the only thing on top is a roof vent. But if I let it rest on the drums I would think I could get another 9 inches or so and if I am only 2 inches off I would think using the truck air bags I could get the rear in then lower the truck to get the front down. Maybe, maybe not. If I had to rent a storage space I will but only if all else fails. Thanks for the link I will ck it out now :P
Old 04-19-2013, 11:40 AM   #19

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Knowles is my married name- I don't know of any NC connection in my husband's family, but as you said- one never knows! He did spend most of his youth in the South- New Orleans specifically, with a stint in Wa. D.C.- his Dad was in the Coast Guard.

Per using the truck to lower the front:

Maybe I don't understand the physics here, but I don't see how that gets the tallest point at the hubs/wheels through the door, especially since it's a (fixed) pivot point...or is the tallest point elsewhere (air conditioner up front etc)?

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:47 AM   #20

Florida
Yap, your right, I guess it was a wishful thought. I am not sure just riding on the drums would give me enough room.
I have no idea what I was thinking. Riding on the hubs should only give me maybe 4 to 5 inches. Not enough. So much for that. But thanks everyone!

Tags
scamp