Hey gang!!! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2018, 06:48 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp
California
Hey gang!!!

Brand new to RV stuff and to forums. So excuse me if I make some dumb mistakes. My wife and I just bought a Scamp 19 5th wheel. It’s old, but I think it will be a fun project. We are looking forward to getting to know you as friends and hopefully meet some of you. We are in SoCal. We will likely have many questions and thank you in advance for any future wisdom you can share. So many trailers to choose from, but when the wife sits down inside and won’t get up to exit, you know it’s the one, no matter the condition. 😁 let me see if I can attach a photo of our new baby.
Attached Thumbnails
E6CFC6D7-56E0-4C3A-94D6-CF297344AED1.jpg  
Johnny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 10:36 PM   #2

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny G View Post
Brand new to RV stuff and to forums. So excuse me if I make some dumb mistakes. My wife and I just bought a Scamp 19 5th wheel. It’s old, but I think it will be a fun project. We are looking forward to getting to know you as friends and hopefully meet some of you. We are in SoCal. We will likely have many questions and thank you in advance for any future wisdom you can share. So many trailers to choose from, but when the wife sits down inside and won’t get up to exit, you know it’s the one, no matter the condition. 😁 let me see if I can attach a photo of our new baby.
Get it all polished up and ready to roll! You can meet lots of people in just a couple of more months at a big Scamp Rally gathering not all that far away from you. That will get you speaking the language and knowing the territory with an in person, close encounter.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...9-a-84504.html
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 11:16 PM   #3

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Congratulations, it looks in nice shape. What year, inside pictures?
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 01:10 AM   #4

California
My trailer

It’s a 1986 trailer. I haven’t taken any interior photos yet. Maybe tomorrow I will post some for you. The condition is pretty good inside. It’s the basic fiberglass interior. No fancy wood cabinets but I am good with the fiberglass. Very light. The bunk platform has some wood rot, so looks like I will need to replace some of the plywood in the front above the tongue. Small section of floor rot too. I just bought a tow vehicle and my hitch came from Scamp yesterday. I have spent hours perusing websites for info on wheel and tire sizes, how to do a frame lift, how to measure for a new axel, and placement of the hitch in the pickup bed. It is slowly starting to make sense. As much as I am excited to get it all done, patience and a lot of measuring at this stage will probably pay off. Thanks for the welcome.
Old 10-28-2018, 01:19 AM   #5

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Get it all polished up and ready to roll! You can meet lots of people in just a couple of more months at a big Scamp Rally gathering not all that far away from you. That will get you speaking the language and knowing the territory with an in person, close encounter.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...9-a-84504.html
Thanks for the heads up on this gathering. It’s good to have a goal date, so I don’t get lazy and slack off on the refurbishing. Haha.
Old 10-28-2018, 07:28 AM   #6
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Welcome John! Keep us posted with your progress and definitely post pictures!
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 08:21 AM   #7

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Get it all polished up and ready to roll! ...
With a very strong emphasis on the "ready to roll" and a very strong de-emphasis on the polish.

First: tires, bearings, brakes, axle, frame and hitch. Then running and signal lights. Sometime later polish and the fun "make it our own" projects.

It sounds like you have a handle on that.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 08:24 AM   #8

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Another Scamp19 (5th wheel) - welcome! I am glad to see more of them here. The bed is out of the way in the loft, more room, they tow rock solid, etc. What is your tow vehicle?
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 09:14 AM   #9

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Very nice
In case you’re not aware of it
There is a great fiberglass rally every year at lake casitas/Ojai area
Great folks I don’t have exact dates but it is usually around Halloween
Definitely try and make it
Lots of great folks/open house / wine tasting/pot luck etc
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 04:42 PM   #10

California
My Tow Vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
Another Scamp19 (5th wheel) - welcome! I am glad to see more of them here. The bed is out of the way in the loft, more room, they tow rock solid, etc. What is your tow vehicle?
Paul,
I bought a 2010 Dodge Dakota, Crew Cab, short bed. 6 cyl 3.7. I'm used to driving a small 4 cyl 1997 S10, so this Dakota feels big, but is nothing compared to the monster trucks I see on a daily basis. I like that this Dodge has what feels like a full back seat. It's like a car & a truck. I've spent a bit of time measuring for the 5th wheel location. Most sites recommend the pin over the axel, but I don't think it's that critical with this Scamp 19, which I think weighs around 1800 dry, with a tongue weight of 400? Plus, then I found out that if you take a sharp turn, or back up with the truck at a 90 degree angle to the trailer, the width of the trailer could hit the cab of the truck if you don't allow enough space from pin to the rear window. I put the hitch together on the floor last night, but not before smashing my pinky finger!! I'm gonna try and mount the hitch this afternoon. Photo of the truck attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Dakota.jpg  
Old 10-28-2018, 04:53 PM   #11

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post
Very nice
In case you’re not aware of it
There is a great fiberglass rally every year at lake casitas/Ojai area
Great folks I don’t have exact dates but it is usually around Halloween
Definitely try and make it
Lots of great folks/open house / wine tasting/pot luck etc
Hi Alan. That sounds like a lot of fun. Exactly what my wife and I are thinking when we look at the Scamp. I wish I was close to hitting the road with this thing, but as another poster suggested, emphasis on the wheels, tires, axel, brakes, hitch, etc. It's been sitting for a long time. Ironically, this thing was owned by a neighbor up the street and around the corner. I've eyed it for over 25 years. Since then I moved to another town and then came back last year and it was still there in the neighbors driveway. Then one day last month I noticed it was gone. I was thinking in my mind, "I wonder if they sold it? I should have made an inquiry." Then a few days later I was looking on Craigslist and found this Scamp in the same town I had moved back here from. Turns out it was being sold by the neighbor's relative. Same Scamp. So I guess it was mean to be ours!! I'm not that comfortable driving the freeways in SoCal even in a passenger vehicle. This trailer will get all that new stuff I'm afraid, before I would feel comfortable hauling it down the freeway.
Old 10-28-2018, 05:42 PM   #12

California
Photos

Trying to post interior photos. Gotta figure out how to compress the file, or reduce the size. Ugh!!!!
Old 10-28-2018, 06:26 PM   #13

Colorado
Quote:
Paul,
I bought a 2010 Dodge Dakota, Crew Cab, short bed. 6 cyl 3.7. I'm used to driving a small 4 cyl 1997 S10, so this Dakota feels big, but is nothing compared to the monster trucks I see on a daily basis. I like that this Dodge has what feels like a full back seat. It's like a car & a truck. I've spent a bit of time measuring for the 5th wheel location. Most sites recommend the pin over the axel, but I don't think it's that critical with this Scamp 19, which I think weighs around 1800 dry, with a tongue weight of 400? Plus, then I found out that if you take a sharp turn, or back up with the truck at a 90 degree angle to the trailer, the width of the trailer could hit the cab of the truck if you don't allow enough space from pin to the rear window. I put the hitch together on the floor last night, but not before smashing my pinky finger!! I'm gonna try and mount the hitch this afternoon. Photo of the truck attached.
The specifications of your Dakota sound similar to the 2013 Tacoma I have. We have been on all kinds of roads and mountain passes and put 50k+ miles on the rig. Very happy with it still. I mounted the Scamp hitch and rails and posted about it here. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post436185
The Tacoma has the sheet molding compound bed, which is unique, I think, so it may or may not be relevant. That thread has more related posts showing some other ideas.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:32 PM   #14

Colorado
Quote:
Trying to post interior photos. Gotta figure out how to compress the file, or reduce the size. Ugh!!!!
You should not have to reduce the file size manually. The upload process does it for you and the progress is shown in the small upload window. It takes a while to do it, so be patient.