hey . just saying hello - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2018, 05:58 PM   #1
mat

Name: Matt
Trailer: 73 Boler
Ontario
Registry
hey . just saying hello

Been here for a while just saying hi now. I bought a 73 boler about a year ago. Ive read a tonne of info here and feel i owe a debt of gratitude to all the members.

I have finally got the family boler ready to hit the road again. funny though... all that sweat and tears doing the reno and im kinda sad its over.

you know what id love to get my hands on is one of those uhaul campers. anyone ever see one in canada?
mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:01 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
There are some Canadian owners of Uhauls. You may not think they are so great if you owned one.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:19 PM   #3
mat

Ontario
Registry
what are the downsides? i like the idea of having smooth fiberglass on the inside of the trailer. and the added insulation i assume would help in the fall weather.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:02 PM   #4

New York
There is no insulation between the walls, but some owners have been able to slide that reflectix foil insulation in between. As with any old trailer there can be problems, or a previous owner may have corrected them. Windows typically leak, many parts are unique to the trailer and no longer available. Electric system is outdated. So if you get one that has been repaired and updated you are good to go. Otherwise they can be a project. The 13 CT's don't have brakes and require an axle replacement to install them. Not a bad little trailer when completed. There is a Facebook group with plenty of info for solving most any problem, and there is a list of the common problems available there.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:25 AM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
Welcome - 'Ontarioan'

Welcome Matt; Pleased to hear of yet another Boler owner in Ontario (where was yours built ?) There are numerous (over 200 !) small FGRV unit owners in this province; who frequent this FGRV site; and likely many more lurkers as well. Most are openly willing to help 'muster' this master crowd, by offering help - just ask !
Old 05-23-2018, 05:42 PM   #6
mat

Ontario
Registry
I really don't know where it was made. During my extensive Reno on it I was hoping to find something that would give me some clues. I don't even know if its actually a 1973. The seller said it was and it matches all the descriptions. No info posted inside or outside of the trailer and no markings on the frame.
Either way we feel lucky to have it. we looked for almost 2 years until we spotted this one. my wife sent me straight there with cash in hand. I don't know if she would allowed me back in the house without it.

I would be happy to talk to anyone about the work i did. i learnt a few lessons the hard way $$$, maybe i could help someone avoid my mistakes. Couple of things i would have done better too like sanding the body smoother.

I may give it an over haul in a couple years and i will be back to dig for more advice here. Ill try and post more pictures too... for the lurkers ;-)
Old 05-23-2018, 05:49 PM   #7

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
There is no insulation between the walls, but some owners have been able to slide that reflectix foil insulation in between.

Hmmm.... Probably a bad idea, (not my first) but what about injecting foam? You would want to make sure there is a gap everywhere, (inside shell not touching outside shell)
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:59 PM   #8

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Hmmm.... Probably a bad idea, (not my first) but what about injecting foam? You would want to make sure there is a gap everywhere, (inside shell not touching outside shell)
the gap is not uniform throughout the trailer, very little in many areas. Expanding foam would cause problems because both inner and outer shell are thin and flimsy. Foam would prevent any future wiring as it runs between the walls. Not something I would do.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:18 PM   #9

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Welcome, and congrats on finishing!

As for insulation, the gap between inner and outer walls is "dead air" and does act as some insulation all by itself, believe it or not. Also, unless the windows are double paned or otherwise insulated, they are going to be big holes in your overall "blanket."

No matter what, inside of trailers are warmer than inside of tents...in our experience. Never yet have we woken to a coating of ice on the inside--as we did in our tent-camping days.

I hear you about feeling a little sad the renovations are over...Paul wants that Scamp that was rear-ended and is available in Oregon (or was...) so badly he can hardly stand it!

I shake my head...dunno 'bout another project of that size!

Kai