Hi - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-17-2011, 06:43 PM   #15

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
What additions to an Outback make it capable of 3000 pounds?
Bigger engine in different models. 2.5 is a 4 cyl and the 3.6 is a 6 cyl

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:30 AM   #16

Name: Leonard
Trailer: not yet
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Bigger engine in different models. 2.5 is a 4 cyl and the 3.6 is a 6 cyl
Carol,

So, do you have the 3.6 liter in your Outback? Or the 2.5 liter? How's it towing your Scamp 16?

I'm actually thinking of trading in my second vehicle for an Outback...but at this time it is only it is thought. I know my 4 liter Ranger will pull a 16 ft FG...it just isn't as comfortable.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:05 AM   #17

Name: Brian
Trailer: Escape 13 ft 2010 ('Ladybug') / 2003 Subaru Forester/ 2012 Toyota Highlander
British Columbia
Registry
Towing with a 2010 Forester

LeonardS

We are towing a 13' trailer with a 2003 Forester which has only 2000 lb. towing capacity and the actual loaded towing weight of our trailer is also 2000 lb. as measured at the Oregon Gathering. Your 2010 Forester has 2400 lb. towing capacity as Carol says, not enough to handle a 16' trailer.

If you want to keep your Forester and tow with it the simplest solution is to get a 13' trailer and live with a porta potti. We use a Thetford 135 which has its own storage area under one of the front seats. We have not encountered any odour problem as long as we empty it and add chemicals every few days. While you may be able to get a 13' trailer with a toilet you lose the front seat / dinette which was more important to us than having a toilet.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brian_v...5603/lightbox/

If it is more important to you to have a larger trailer, then you should decide what trailer you want first then get a vehicle capable of towing it.

It is really a personal choice.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:23 AM   #18

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: LeonardS...Call Tammy at Escape Trailers as they just built a great looking 13'er for forum member reeves99 and he is towing it with a Hundai Santa fe. Great looking combo too!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 10-18-2011, 11:47 AM   #19

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonardS View Post
Carol,

So, do you have the 3.6 liter in your Outback? Or the 2.5 liter? How's it towing your Scamp 16?

I'm actually thinking of trading in my second vehicle for an Outback...but at this time it is only it is thought. I know my 4 liter Ranger will pull a 16 ft FG...it just isn't as comfortable.
I have been tow my 16' side bath with a 2.5 liter for four years and it is fine towing it but I really need to watch how I load the trailer and the tongue weight. I have an older Scamp with no AC so its possible to keep the tongue weight down close to Subarus specs and still have a solid stow. Fully loaded with 3 weeks worth of camping gear & clothing and food but without any water the trailer comes in on average about 2550 lbs. I normally dont carry anything for the trailer in the car other than the cooler so when I say loaded thats everything - bq, hoses, propane firepit, tool kit, leveling blocks, extention cords, chairs, tables etc.

I would not buy an Outback if I know I was going to own a 16' trailer - due to the tongue weight issue and many of the newer 13' & 14' would also be over its tongue weight limit. My Subaru was only a few weeks old when the trailer followed me home so it did not make sence to sell such a new car. Subaru does not support the use of weight distribution hitches so you are very limited as to what trailers you can tow safely with the Outback.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote