Hi - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2017, 12:59 PM   #1

Name: Lynn
Trailer: currently shopping
North Carolina
Hi

Hi I'm Lynn Hicks, I live in NC. I recently sold my old '83 Toyota Dolphin and am looking for a used small travel trailer. I'm particularly interested in fiberglass - Casita, Scamp or similar, or a fiberglass teardrop. Hoping to hear what others have to say about these choices and see if any good ones are listed for sale here. Look forward to seeing and hearing everything.
Lynn H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 01:36 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Lynn!

Molded fiberglass trailers run the gamut from small and simple to large and luxurious, and from vintage projects to brand spanking new. Let us know more about your needs, travel plans, budget range, and intended tow vehicle. Then I'm sure you'll get some great suggestions.

One thing they all seem to have in common is they don't linger long on the market. Prepare to act quickly when the right one comes along.

I also owned a Toyota motorhome at one time. I much prefer having a modern tow vehicle for safety and reliability, while enjoying the advantages of a molded fiberglass coach tagging along behind.

Best wishes in your "egg" hunt!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:26 AM   #3

North Carolina
Thank you Jon. The journey of searching has already been overwhelming! So many options.
I liked the little Toy RV a lot, the years I had it certainly taught me what I want and need in terms of a camper. I liked not having to tow but I really want a trailer so I can go exploring more easily. And I learned I don't really need that much camper. Never used the bathroom, luckily don't need at night (and there are options if I do). Made for great storage tho. I liked having all the other storage too, but know one has storage with the tow vehicle. Tending to leaks and caulking, eurobond and sealant required lots of attention, so think molded fiberglass would be better.

I like real camping, so only used the kitchen when raining - prefer cook, eat, wash dishes outside. I'm even inclined not to want plumbing, another fragile system with potential problems and hard to reach fixes.

I hope to be able to travel for relatively long periods, say 3-6 months at a time, mostly interested in national and state parks, hiking, natural wonders, etc. And visiting friends.

Since I'm going from small RV to trailer, I am also in the market for a tow vehicle. Want the smallest, most economical possible to tow small camper. Small truck or SUV, or even van. I have an old ('97) Nissan truck, but too old to even think about. Teardrops appeal because of aerodynamic aspects, but lack of storage??

Well that's a lot I know. Want to hear anything anyone has from experience that can help in making decision.

BTW, I'm in my 70s, still strong and able, with dyi knowledge and skills, but not too flexible. So not too much DYI!!

Thanks you, Lynn
Old 12-10-2017, 09:58 AM   #4

Arizona
Registry
Hi

I agree- I prefer simplicity. Minimal plumbing, no bathroom, cook and eat outside. I think if I were planning to take longer trips, I would at least want a porta-potty. There may be nights when a decent campground with bathrooms isn't available. A full bath/shower lets you stay off-grid longer, but it does bring more complexity and associated maintenance. A fridge that runs on propane and electric is also nice- keeping up with ice gets to be a nuisance on a longer trip. Last, I would want a trailer big enough to spend a rainy day inside.

I would recommend trying to visit one of the molded fiberglass rallies. There you will get a chance to see many different sizes, makes, and layouts. Many of the rallies have a time set aside for open house tours. Even if not, most owners are happy to give an informal tour. You could bring a tent or arrange a day visit. See the rally section for locations near you, and contact the event coordinator for advice about scheduling a visit.

Once you have a better idea of the trailer you want, then you can consider a tow vehicle to pull it.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:59 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
your camper

lynne we went from tenting to an A-Liner would probably still be using it but extreme back surgery forced me to a scamper 13f no b/r. I am like jon we don't pack much and we don't require much.

getting ready after Christmas for a month long trip with the scamper. we think in camping less is more!

be patient here there will be just the rig you want listed but be prepared to jump on it as soon as its listed!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 05:40 PM   #6

North Carolina
Jon, I agree fridge a must. Main 3 things I want graduating from tent camping: a bed, a fridge and a place to get in out of the rain.
Also need to stand up, only teardrops I've considered are the bigger ones. I've been very bold asking people about their campers whenever I'm out, but a rally would be great. I'll check them out. Thanks
Old 12-10-2017, 05:48 PM   #7

North Carolina
Bob,
Interesting you should mention A-liner. I've been intrigued by them, even went to see one today that was for sale near me. So you have experience with both, tell me what you think, how you would compare the 2. weight, towability, livability, durability, things other than the obvious shape, use of space, storage. (I know it's not fiberglass, I hope it's OK to discuss this here.<_<
Old 12-10-2017, 10:00 PM   #8

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
With any pop-up or A-liner, the setting up and taking down gets really old (especially in inclement weather) and if you start having problems with your hands, shoulders, or back, then that would really make it impossible to work for you. I know of two A-liner Club Presidents that now own Lil Snoozys because of various reasons, such as leaking after only a couple of years, and how wind (while set-up for camping) has been know to collaps the unit when the door was opened up during a storm. The noise of the canvas in the wind on our pop-up and our VW Westphalia would always keep me awake.
Best of luck with your search.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:59 AM   #9

North Carolina
Thanks David. I've wondered about the leaking issues and possibly winds blowing in at the joining points, but wow! collapsing! Even with those big clamps holding the roofs to the walls. That's scary!
Old 12-11-2017, 08:27 AM   #10

Missouri
our A-Liner

As I said we loved the A-Liner it was a basic one n/b no kitchen. it was roomier than the Scamper 13f. It went up in 30s if need be we put it up took it down in snow and rain.

We put it up in high winds by being careful once the winds out in Ks were so high I put a rope over it as I raised it. I had wife letting slack out as it was raised I also didn't park it as to where the wind was blowing in it but through it.

Once in Ks. again high winds and snow we parked by a semi-truck in order to get it down. Was it drafty to a point yes but with our Wave 3 we kept warm. We spent 4 weeks in it ranging from Texas, New Mexico and Ks. temps from below 20d to high of 96 in Texas no a/c needed!

The A-Liner was much easier to tow and every time we raised it or lowered it we drew a crowd of people were just fascinated by it. As with everything a person can go deluxe or simple I choose simple because after tenting 41 years it was just perfect for us.

As I said if I hadn't had to have my extensive back surgery done I would still be an A-Liner owner but we cant always have what we want. Late Jan. we will be taking another 1 mo. trip out about the same areas but Az. this time and we will see.

I cannot think of one single thing I didn't like about our A-Liner Scout!

bob
Old 12-11-2017, 08:33 AM   #11

Arizona
Registry
Hi

One consideration as you look at different types of trailers is resale value. Molded fiberglass, in large part due to the durable, leak-resistant fiberglass shell, has among the lowest depreciation rates of any build type.

Of course, your actual experience will depend on the timing of buying and selling, how good a deal you find, the presence or absence of hidden damage, boom-bust cycles in the overall RV industry, and how well you keep up routine maintenance, but my Scamp has actually appreciated more than 50% in the 5 years I have owned it.

I thought I was paying a lot for my Scamp at the time (compared to small tent trailers), but it has proven to be a solid financial choice as well as a very snug refuge in wind and rain. No set-up required, and usable during a lunch stop en route.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:28 AM   #12

Missouri
sale on our A-Liner

I was worried about selling the A-Liner at the end of the season I had it listed for 6 weeks. I would get a nibble once awhile one guy came wanted to steal it for a hunting cabin.

then after the 6 week calls started pouring in I had it on craigslist the first guy was in Dallaas Tx 800m away. he said he would send a deposit and have cash with him when he came to pick it up.

one other guy said he could be here in 2 hours but I already had the sale sewed up. We sold our A-Liner for more than we paid for it lucked out this time.

We had already bought the 13f scamper for 5k we came out about even but moved down 13 years but we are happy. No doubt the higher priced rigs take a bit longer but I have seen them move out of here in a day!

the market doesn't seem to be softening much in the winter!

bob
Old 12-11-2017, 12:30 PM   #13

Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
A couple weeks ago the people in the site next to us had an Aliner type camper. The lady saw our Casita and said "That's what we want, a trailer that we can just open the door and step in when it's raining, not having to open up this Aliner in the rain like we did a few days ago."
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:13 PM   #14

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Floor plan first as there is no consistency brand to brand. Lots of variation on bed size too.

Best way to check out floor plans is to go to a molded trailer rally.

We had a Casita Liberty which a lot of people like. But the floor plan didn’t work for us. We didn’t like the bed/dinette combo.

Another issue a lot of people new to molded trailers run into us adequate tow vehicle. People fixate on dry weights which are meaningless. And they assume the trailers are super light. They aren’t and not every car can handle one.

Air conditioning, a toilet, a place to sit without taking up the bed, bed size, etc all enter into it. A lot of manufacturers are pretty loose with bed size descriptions. For instance our “twin” beds in our Casita were 23 inches wide while a standard twin is 39 to 40 inches.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 08:27 AM   #15

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
If you are close to I 95 and I 26 in SC you could call and tour the lilsnoozy factory inn St Matthews. Seeing many varieties IRL is important. I was convinced the RPod was going tobe it for me till I discovered you couldn't get one without the slide and when I looked at the bed/roof IRL. Little Snoozy is all electric, I don't mind that-in fact, it's a plus- when Canadian Customms wanted to check our propane for the ferries we told him we were all electric and he looked around and under, finally decided we must be all electric like I said.
Even the makes that you see that you don't care for are important, it helps you to rule out stuff that you don't want.
Enjoy the looking and have fun.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:09 PM   #16

Name: Shari
Trailer: Boler 13 77
Florida
Talking

I am renovating a 13ft boler. My dog and I traveled for three months in a teardrop, set up and take down was a lot of work . I also missed an in door porta potty and food source for rainy days. Now looking forward to those creature comforts as well as the ability to change clothes standing up. I suggest at least a porta potty, fridge and micro wave as well as air conditioning.
Happy travels whatever you decide. Hope to see you at a rally some day.
Sharylmil is offline   Reply With Quote