Hi all! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2011, 02:13 PM   #1
Commercial Member

Name: Mark and Tara
Trailer: 2005 13' Scamp
New York
Smile Hi all!

Hi everyone! We are a couple.. We are from Central NY. As you can see our name: CNY Eggers to be. Clearly states we are in search for our perfect fiberglass camper to be hauled by my Morty (2007 Chevy HHR Panel). We are in search for one so we can use for two main reasons: To travel where all shows are such as arts and craft shows, trade shows, paranormal expos. The second reason is I can use as our base station for paranormal investigation at any haunted location around the country and North America/Central America with it.

I am a paranormal investigator and a freelance designer/autocad drafter. My wife is a crafter and a nurse.

We are looking for a 13 footer only since that is how much it can tow for my Morty.
To some of you wonder why I named my car Morty? I named after Eli Goldsworthy's hearse named, "Morty" on Degrassi tv program. Hahaha.
Mark and Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:26 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Welcome to FiberglassRV Mark. I can't answer what brand of egg would be okay to pull with your HHR, except we know you don't want it to be a Ventura. Read this thread for more info: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ain-47021.html

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:25 PM   #3

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Welcome, I have looked at the quick version of tow ratings for the HHR and PT Cruiser and it says 1000 lbs tow rating. Now I have to admit that I did not dig any deeper so I don't know if there is a tow package available that would increase the tow rating. Just for kicks my trailer left the factory in 1972 with a dry weight of 950 lbs, dry means completely empty with nothing at all in the trailer that it wasn't built with. If you can do it I think it would look way cool.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:02 PM   #4
Commercial Member

New York
Ok, I talked with the Chevy dealer and they checked and said a 1000 pounds for the HHR. So, they said a 13 foot should be ok.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:07 PM   #5

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
The 950lbs would probably be no fridge (possibly an ice box), no A/C, no storage tanks, no propane tank, no battery, possibly no furnace.....dry means bare bones with no options and definately without any of your clothes, linens, food, cookingn utensils, gear etc. There is a thread on here Titled "Trailer weights in the real world" and it's a spreadsheet of real trailers weighed at Rallys. I think the lowest USEABLE weight you will find will be closer 1200 lbs. You also need to check your hitch weight allowance on the HHR.

Good Luck in your search, take a look at that thread mentioned above to narrow your search to your weight restrictions.

Welcome! Feel free to ask any questions as the knowledge base here is quite extensive.

Melissa
Old 02-07-2012, 05:58 PM   #6

Name: Dave and Shelly
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe Casita "New Name: Eggspensive"
Iowa
welcome

I am new here as well. We just got our egg last weekend. Its been alot of fun working on her this week. Paranormal investigating sounds very interesting. Would love to go sometime if I didnt think I would pee my pants at the first strange noise. Glad u r here and hope to hear some ghost hunting stories.
sfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:04 PM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
I thought it was some kind of rule that paranormal investigators had to drive a 1959 Miller Meteor based on a Caddy......
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYEggerstobe View Post
Ok, I talked with the Chevy dealer and they checked and said a 1000 pounds for the HHR. So, they said a 13 foot should be ok.
Don't believe it! We've seen 13' molded "lightweight" trailers that weigh plus/minus 2,000 lbs. Gad, like a Chevy dealer knows anything about these trailers....
Old 02-08-2012, 09:03 AM   #9
Commercial Member

New York
Hahaha (about the jokes on ghost hunting).

Donna, true, car dealerships.. they are full of it. Always. I used to be in car sales and I know it. I left because of the games they usually play on people AND coworkers after about 4 months later.

Ok,.. true dry weight is 950 but actual could run 1200 to 2000 lbs.. hmm. You forgot to add any loads being added in the motor vehicle other than just the trailer itself! Also the heaviest of all loads are human beings! They do weight. I noticed that in past with cars for decades. The more people you have in, the more work. Depends on what car you have or had in past or present. My car is 2 seater though. Yes, 2 seater, not a 4 seater. Its a HHR LS Panel. The one with side walls looked like a mini cargo van. Boo hoo, they are stopping the HHR after this model year. Hahha. Looks like Retro look is fading away. Now, looks like abstractism on automobiles are in. That is a whole another subject.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:21 PM   #10

Mark, be sure to check out this thread and look at the sizes and then the numbers in the right column: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html