Hi all! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2014, 03:05 PM   #1

Name: Greg
Trailer: Just looking
NC
Hi all!

I've been eyeballing the Fiberglass RV website for several months and finally got around to registering a few days ago. So today I decided to introduce myself. Although I'm not new to camping (currently own a popup) I have my eye on the Lil Snoozy Fiberglass camper manufactured down in SC. Love our little popup but the older we're getting the harder it's becoming to set it up My wife and I visited the Snoozy factory a couple months ago on our way to Charleston and met Richard and some of his crew. We really liked what we saw and were very impressed with how well the camper is made. It is a little pricey, so to save some $, my future plan is to order one about half finished and do the rest myself (experienced contractor) adding our own personal touches as we go. Richard said he would take the camper build as far as we wanted to go and would also add any of our custom changes to his stock layout. Very accommodating I thought! l I have two sons that are almost out of college and no longer interested in camping with good old mom & dad, so we think the Snoozy will be a perfect fit for us as we move forward. We are currently saving our nickels & dimes with the hopes of ordering one soon.
I have really picked up some great information about fiberglass campers here. As a matter of fact, Parkliner is just down the road a short drive from us here in NC and we didn't even know it. Haven't done the tour with Parkliner yet but will one day this fall. This is a great source for information on fiberglass campers. Thanks to all who share.
Happy camping!
greg489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 05:58 PM   #2

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Welcome Greg. N.C. here also.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:01 AM   #3

Name: Sue
Trailer: Casita Patriot '13
Pennsylvania
Hi, Greg. Welcome aboard!

I'm a newbie solo traveler, not too strong, so, I knew I didn't want a pop up. It turns out that the Casita Patriot is as easy to tow as a popup, but I also get my bathroom, and no seams/canvas/vinyl to leak. No swaying at all. I guess it's the rounded corners, I don't really know. I kind of knew to skip the pop-up stage and go right to eggs.

I bought a 2005 fCasita Patriot or about half what a new one would cost, and it only needed new tires. So, effectively, it's like new to me. If the new prices are more than you want to pay (like me!) I suggest you wait until the end of the season and see what comes up used for sale. The Fiberglass eggs don't deteriorate, so, buying used is no problem.

I suggest you also check out these forums for eggs sales:
Casitaclub.com and Casitaforum.com.

Unless you routinely work with fiberglass, and small rv parts, the factory may actually come in less $$ than if you buy all of the furnishings yourself. The trick is to keep everything light for towing, so, maybe let the new eggs go for a while, and see what you can find used. Having used my 2005 on 3 trips, there's nothing about the new ones that I miss.

But, anyway, you're in love, so, we'll be seeing pics of your egg pretty soon, I'm sure!
jazzjunkysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:55 AM   #4

NC
Thanks guys.
Jazzjunkysue: You're right. I look everyday for used. Parkliner is just down the road from us so we will be checking out those units. Being a builder I love to see them in production so I can see how it all comes together. I've actually considered creating my own camper line. It's just a dream though. Most of the inner construction on the Snoozy is wood so it would be pretty easy to redesign and relocate things to fit our needs and still keep weight to a minimum. When we toured the factory there were several being worked on at different stages. It was very educational. I could have stayed there all day. When we left I told my wife I was tempted to pick up tools and start helping them build the darn things. We have looked for years at all types of campers and I've come to the conclusion that most are just particle board junk. Fiberglass is the way to go if you want something that will last. I really like the composite walls in the Snoozy. Richard at Snoozy gave me a scrap blank to bring home with me. It's beside my bed and I study it every night before going to sleep. If and when we get ours I may consider lining the insides with Reflectix insulation and coving it with Hulliner material for added comfort and insulation. We'll see. The possibilities are endless with the eggs ~ agree?
Old 09-06-2014, 10:19 AM   #5

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg489 View Post
Thanks guys.
...If and when we get ours I may consider lining the insides with Reflectix insulation...

Reflectix is what Oliver is lining their hulls with. I'm am really pleased with how good a job it does. Even if our trailer is sitting in the sun, it will be 10 degrees cooler on the inside.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 01:34 PM   #6

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Hi Greg, I think you are on the right track when you think of finishing the interior yourself. I have an empty shell for cargo and it would be pretty easy to build in the cabinets and such. One thing you want them to do is to fiberglass in plenty of wooden attachment points around the interior, so you can fasten things down without penetrating the hull.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 03:25 PM   #7

NC
I agree Steve. Parkliner lines theirs with reflectix then cover with Hulliner material. There is a tread here where one member (Robert Johans) has done some fantastic interior work with reflectix & hulliner on a Boler.

Mike, I've considered the glassed in blocks. Although I feel it is something we could do ourselves. Being and old surfer & built several surfboards I do have some experience with fiberglass and how it works. One would need to know exactly where to placed blocks based on the layout, but I agree, it would make better points for fastening interior components.
I can't wait to have that problem to deal with. It will be so much fun to make it ours and not like something off an assembly line. I completely rebuilt our popup from the frame up and there's not another one like it anywhere. It turned out so nice the build was featured in a national popup magazine several years ago. Now I'm ready to do the same to the Lil Snoozy.
Old 09-06-2014, 03:30 PM   #8

NC
Hey Mike, Do you have the Snoozy shell? I've considered it, but would want them to add the shower stall pan & toilet. It's a nice design feature that would be hard to duplicate from scratch.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:30 PM   #9

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
to the Forum Greg. I know the excitement..
And saying you have a piece of the hull, well, I know how
that can really work on the psyche................LOL

We were very pleased with ours even though we sold it
because of health issues. Hopefully if our health improves
well enough we will be in the market again.

I'm also thinking of a empty shell for putting three twin beds
in. And like you I would want the bathroom installed. We
really liked the bathroom once we got accustomed to it.

Good luck and I'm sure you know we really like pictures around here.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 12:16 AM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Greg, welcome to the FGRV family. I have nothing but good to say about our experience with the Lil Snoozy company. I had a long list of things that I wanted changed from their original design, and they did their best to make it happen, and I finished the upper cupboards myself. We just spent 10 weeks in it and felt very comfortable, but I still have multiple changes planed for it, as we tend to camp off the grid mostly. Good Luck.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 05:39 PM   #11

NC
Thanks Carl & Dave, I've been following you guys here at FGRV for some time.
Carl, I was sorry to see you had to say goodbye to yours. Hope your health improves.
Dave, the custom work on your Snoozy was inspirational to say the least.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:24 PM   #12

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg489 View Post
Hey Mike, Do you have the Snoozy shell? I've considered it, but would want them to add the shower stall pan & toilet. It's a nice design feature that would be hard to duplicate from scratch.
Yes, the empty Snoozy was sold to me with 'Lil Hauley' stickers on it instead of Snoozy, but it's exactly the same shell and rear entry door. I got 2 small windows near the front and some side boards glassed in for nylon strap attachment points. And a shelf up front, too. Otherwise empty. I did add a false floor to raise it to the level of the door threshhold, because I could see myself tripping on that thing otherwise.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote