Hi All! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2018, 11:49 PM   #1

Name: Ramona
Trailer: Looking!
Florida
Hi All!

Looking to start full timing in a fiberglass travel trailer, currently looking at Casita, Escape, and Bigfoot. I’m sure all have their pros and cons, and I’m looking for the good, the bad, and the ugly, so tell me how you really feel😁

About me: Travel RN for the past year after a long career of staff nursing. Currently located in Oregon for the past 4 months living out of my Chevy Express van that I semi-rigged into a camper van. Have a home in Florida I will be selling sometime this year, knock on wood. Zero towing experience. This is what has held me back. I’m a bit of chicken, but it’s time to learn new skilz😉 It would be just me and my four legged BFF so I want to stay small (no longer than 21-22’). I walked through a Bigfoot today and they are SWEEET! Have plans to walk through the other two brands as well in the next couple of weeks as well.

What say you, friends? Thanks in advance for all your feedback✌🏼
Deva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:41 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Welcome to FGRV Ramona. A TT rally is the place to see many different eggs and ask questions of the owners. Kind of short notice but you're in luck as there is one scheduled for April 26-28. It's called the NOG, Northern Oregon Get together @ the L.L. Stub Steward SP. There is a thread with info you can check out. Good luck with your search, that's half the fun .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:30 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Ramona!

Bigfoots are very nice, and some of them have four season upgrades for use in colder weather (Pacific Northwest cold, not North Dakota cold). They are heavy though- extra insulation, dual pane windows, enclosed, heated holding tanks- it all drives up the weight. The largest BF's require a fairly stout truck to pull.

Escapes are an in-between option- they offer some cold-weather upgrades, but their main cabin insulation is pretty thin. They are fairly light for their size, a plus. They are hard to find used and the wait for a new one is long.

Casita is a popular choice and widely available used to fit a variety of budgets. The 17' models are tongue heavy, which somewhat limits your tow vehicle choice. They are not as roomy as the Escapes and Bigfoots.

If you're planning to tow with your current van, start by researching its towing capacity and payload. As a full-timer, take into account that you will probably be carrying more stuff with you than the typical weekender. Adding a trailer reduces what you can carry in the vehicle.

The thread Trailer Weights in the Real World has useful data on the actual loaded weights of various makes and models (post #297 links to a spreadsheet).

Best wishes in your search for the right trailer for you!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:41 AM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
welcome

welcome diva are you sort of like trapper john md? live on the hospital parking lot?

thanks for the work you do I just had rods replaced after loosing yet again another disc you guys in the hospitals are great, overworked but great I don't know how you take those long hours.

I don't see any reason you cant with some help handle a trailer I would make sure to get a power jack for sure don't try to do any rodeo trailer stunts you will be fine.

you might want to start out with a small trailer to get your first wings then move up as you grow with this.

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:53 AM   #5

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Bigfoot trailers are wider than most of the others. Usually about 10 inches wider. The extra width is great when you are in the trailer, but if you are towing on city streets in a tight urban area, you have to use extra caution. The width is a concern.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:25 AM   #6

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
I love my LilSnoozy. Some people consider all-electric a drawback but I don't- I did my 40 years of camping with propane, butane, and Coleman fuel and I am DONE! It's 19 foot from tip of tongue rear bumper, has a dedicated queen bed space, and the under bed storage is mostly used as a cat haven for my 4 rescue cats. You can call the Lil Snoozy factory and find out if there are any owners near you that would be happy to show off theirs to you. I do that all the time.
It was amusing telling Canadian Border Patrol we had no propane on the ferry entries to Nova Scotia and Newfoundland last year. Some just plain didn't believe us and we'de pull out the toaster oven and the 2 electric burner top to show them!

The bottoms are very aerodynamic in design and I have found the steering gets a little squirelly over 85 mph. Otherwise no problems!
Old 02-25-2018, 08:05 PM   #7

Florida
Oh, great info! Thanks!
Old 02-25-2018, 08:07 PM   #8

Florida
Great info, thank you!
Old 02-25-2018, 08:48 PM   #9

Missouri
mitzi after 41 years using a tent I consider our 13f scamper pure luxury and I would not every want all electric but we either boondock or moochcamp!

bob
Old 02-25-2018, 10:35 PM   #10

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Welcome to FGRV Ramona. A TT rally is the place to see many different eggs and ask questions of the owners. Kind of short notice but you're in luck as there is one scheduled for April 26-28. It's called the NOG, Northern Oregon Get together @ the L.L. Stub Steward SP. There is a thread with info you can check out. Good luck with your search, that's half the fun .

Thanks! If I can get this w/e off work, I will definitely be there!
Old 02-25-2018, 10:41 PM   #11

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
welcome diva are you sort of like trapper john md? live on the hospital parking lot?

thanks for the work you do I just had rods replaced after loosing yet again another disc you guys in the hospitals are great, overworked but great I don't know how you take those long hours.

I don't see any reason you cant with some help handle a trailer I would make sure to get a power jack for sure don't try to do any rodeo trailer stunts you will be fine.

you might want to start out with a small trailer to get your first wings then move up as you grow with this.

bob
Hi bob,
Sorry to hear of your back troubles and thanks for your kind words! Not living in the hospital parking lot, but I am right across the street. I wasn’t anticipating so many overnight parking challenges here, so I have to stay pretty stealthy. planning on a trailer no longer than 21-22 ft max. ✌🏼
Old 02-25-2018, 10:46 PM   #12

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
Bigfoot trailers are wider than most of the others. Usually about 10 inches wider. The extra width is great when you are in the trailer, but if you are towing on city streets in a tight urban area, you have to use extra caution. The width is a concern.
Hi Jack,
Good point about the width. No wonder the one I walked through seemed so roomy! My goal is to avoid having to have tow mirrors placed on my van. I’d like something equal or maybe just a bit wider. Taking the Bigfoot off my list, but they are very nice!
Old 02-25-2018, 10:48 PM   #13

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzi Agnew-Giles View Post
I love my LilSnoozy. Some people consider all-electric a drawback but I don't- I did my 40 years of camping with propane, butane, and Coleman fuel and I am DONE! It's 19 foot from tip of tongue rear bumper, has a dedicated queen bed space, and the under bed storage is mostly used as a cat haven for my 4 rescue cats. You can call the Lil Snoozy factory and find out if there are any owners near you that would be happy to show off theirs to you. I do that all the time.
It was amusing telling Canadian Border Patrol we had no propane on the ferry entries to Nova Scotia and Newfoundland last year. Some just plain didn't believe us and we'de pull out the toaster oven and the 2 electric burner top to show them!

The bottoms are very aerodynamic in design and I have found the steering gets a little squirelly over 85 mph. Otherwise no problems!
Hi Mitzi,
I’ve seen those! Very unique- glad yours is working out for you and the fur babies😊
Old 02-25-2018, 10:58 PM   #14

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Welcome, Ramona!

Bigfoots are very nice, and some of them have four season upgrades for use in colder weather (Pacific Northwest cold, not North Dakota cold). They are heavy though- extra insulation, dual pane windows, enclosed, heated holding tanks- it all drives up the weight. The largest BF's require a fairly stout truck to pull.

Escapes are an in-between option- they offer some cold-weather upgrades, but their main cabin insulation is pretty thin. They are fairly light for their size, a plus. They are hard to find used and the wait for a new one is long.

Casita is a popular choice and widely available used to fit a variety of budgets. The 17' models are tongue heavy, which somewhat limits your tow vehicle choice. They are not as roomy as the Escapes and Bigfoots.

If you're planning to tow with your current van, start by researching its towing capacity and payload. As a full-timer, take into account that you will probably be carrying more stuff with you than the typical weekender. Adding a trailer reduces what you can carry in the vehicle.

The thread Trailer Weights in the Real World has useful data on the actual loaded weights of various makes and models (post #297 links to a spreadsheet).

Best wishes in your search for the right trailer for you!
Hi Jon,
All very good points! Already eliminated Bigfoot due to width and price. I figured this would be the first one removed. I bought the van specifically with the possibility of towing, so I have a V8 with tow capacity of #8500 and payload capacity of #3000, and factory tow package. I had a heavy duty hitch installed about a month ago, will get the wiring when I’m closer to purchase time. Baby steps! The thing I dread with an Escape is the registration process. My home state is Florida, so not sure how that works. If I have to physically take the trailer to Florida for inspection, it’s a no go. These are all little details I still need to figure out...
Old 02-26-2018, 08:09 AM   #15

Missouri
here in missouri

I have purchased several rv type things in state and out of state our 40f bus came form n.c. get your title signed either by the seller or the dealer then decide what state you want to register it in I don't know if a family member can do this if you are far away from your home state or not. I have never been asked for id on a trailer title and license plate. here they don't even require a bill of sale but I buy used sort of funny!

I take the paper work to the dmv here and my checkbook and stand in line if they are busy some times its quick.

I don't know how you like to spend money but buying used can save you tons of money that will be up to you. I like used because whenever I ding it it just adds to the character and I don't cry so bad!

good luck

bob
Old 02-26-2018, 09:08 AM   #16
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
I have purchased several rv type things in state and out of state ...
The thing that makes a new Escape different from other trailer registration transactions is for those of us in the USA, we are Importing the trailer. Every state has different rules on this and some DMV application of these rules varies by county or even by office.

You can search over on EscapeForum.org for some discussions on different experiences peops have had with this. There are others who are full timing in their Escapes, with similar concerns.

The good thing is, the importation is something you only have to go through once... and Escape Trailer Industries provides all the paperwork to (help) expedite the process.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 09:35 AM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deva View Post
Hi Jon,
All very good points! Already eliminated Bigfoot due to width and price. I figured this would be the first one removed. I bought the van specifically with the possibility of towing, so I have a V8 with tow capacity of #8500 and payload capacity of #3000, and factory tow package. I had a heavy duty hitch installed about a month ago, will get the wiring when I’m closer to purchase time. Baby steps! The thing I dread with an Escape is the registration process. My home state is Florida, so not sure how that works. If I have to physically take the trailer to Florida for inspection, it’s a no go. These are all little details I still need to figure out...
Seeing the specs for your van, I would ask why not Bigfoot? The smallest BF 17.5' is a great size to full-time with one person and a pet. New BF's are pricey, but I've seen nice used ones around $20K. They are well-made, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used unit, subject to an inspection, of course. The width does require a little more care in towing, but I think the first time you are caught in a cold spell and unable to move on due to a work assignment, you will appreciate the extra room and cold weather upgrades. There are none listed currently, but here's one that sold recently:
https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/...00-longmont-co
(Note that pre-2005 units listed as 17' models are not four-season rated unless they have the cold weather option package that was offered some years.)

As to the requirements to register a trailer in Florida, that varies by state. Some states require a VIN check, which can sometimes be arranged through local police from a distance. Check in with Florida's motor vehicle department to be sure.

EDIT: One just listed in AB. Price is in USD. Other than needing a US DOT sticker, importing a travel trailer is pretty straightforward.
https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/...railer-25b175g
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 09:41 AM   #18

Missouri
here is a story

here is a story I don't advise i never did it! I was in our local dmv sherrifs deputy was behind me I knew him.

we got to talking and I was whining because I had to do 2 trailers licenses he asked me why I was getting 2?

I will leave the rest up to you guys to figure out?

here is another story our superintandant of schools got a dui ticket with that he also got a ticket for not having proper plates on a new truck he had bought a year ago. he only makes 150k a year!

bob
Old 02-27-2018, 12:50 AM   #19

Florida
Yikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Seeing the specs for your van, I would ask why not Bigfoot? The smallest BF 17.5' is a great size to full-time with one person and a pet. New BF's are pricey, but I've seen nice used ones around $20K. They are well-made, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used unit, subject to an inspection, of course. The width does require a little more care in towing, but I think the first time you are caught in a cold spell and unable to move on due to a work assignment, you will appreciate the extra room and cold weather upgrades. There are none listed currently, but here's one that sold recently:
https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/...00-longmont-co
(Note that pre-2005 units listed as 17' models are not four-season rated unless they have the cold weather option package that was offered some years.)

As to the requirements to register a trailer in Florida, that varies by state. Some states require a VIN check, which can sometimes be arranged through local police from a distance. Check in with Florida's motor vehicle department to be sure.

EDIT: One just listed in AB. Price is in USD. Other than needing a US DOT sticker, importing a travel trailer is pretty straightforward.
https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/...railer-25b175g
Spent over 2 hours on the phone with Florida DMV and also tax collectors office and what a run around! Press this for that, transferred from here to there and no one can tell me anything other than I have to physically bring the trailer to Florida to register it. No exceptions. A complete joke. This is what my taxes pay for. I’m ready for a tent 😉
Old 02-27-2018, 12:56 AM   #20

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
The thing that makes a new Escape different from other trailer registration transactions is for those of us in the USA, we are Importing the trailer. Every state has different rules on this and some DMV application of these rules varies by county or even by office.

You can search over on EscapeForum.org for some discussions on different experiences peops have had with this. There are others who are full timing in their Escapes, with similar concerns.

The good thing is, the importation is something you only have to go through once... and Escape Trailer Industries provides all the paperwork to (help) expedite the process.
Hi Mary, when I called Escape they were quite helpful regarding getting everything done on their end, so that’s not the problem. It’s AFTER the trailer is in the US. I’m a Florida resident, and after 2 fruitless hours in the phone, the only thing everyone is certain of is that any trailer/RV purchased outside of Floida state has to be physically driven to Florida for inspection. This is the problem because I am in Oregon and will be in the western us until fall if 2018. It’s a conundrum.