Hi All! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2019, 05:35 PM   #1

Name: Miko
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
Hi All!

Hi All, excited to be here. I've been thinking about getting a small trailer for the last month, and have considered Scamps, Aframes, Prolites, to name a few. I am getting close to taking the plunge and purchasing an 13' 83 Burro. Any tips on what I should be looking for on a trailer that old that seems to be mostly original? Thanks in advance!
mikogab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:10 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
1. Click on the manufacturers tab on the upper right of the screen and choose Burro. Then read all the threads on repairs people have done. That can give you a "what to watch out for" list.

2. Over on the document center there is a buyers checklist. Reach the document center by picking the far right upper tab: "More"

Before I started looking for a vintage Trillium, I spent a lot of time on #1 above and became an "expert" (almost). It helped me avoid two big mistakes! I consider such reading to be "due diligence". There is really no reason in this internet age to be surprised later by common defects. Each brand has their unique ones to look for.

Floor rot tend to be the most serious problem in any FG trailer. Look inside benches, cabinets, back side of refrigerator (open the outside hatch), etc. I think Burro also had issues with floor around the wheel wells.

How a trailer has been stored when not in use can be a HUGE factor! When I bought my Trillium, it had been sitting unused in a garage for the last 20 years. Sure it needed new tires, and so on, but it also was in very good overall shape. Exposure to the weather for decades can take a huge toll in any trailer, FG or not!

Some trailers, if the floor has fiberglass underneath it, water can be trapped into the floor. Then rot sets in.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 09:03 PM   #3

California
Thanks! I’ve read through quite a few of the burro threads it looks like water getting into the floor is an issue. I’ll check out the buyers checklist as well!
Old 09-18-2019, 10:05 PM   #4

Name: Daniel
Trailer: Sold it
Northern VA
Certainly check floors. I bought a burro long distance and it was a bit worse than the seller let on.

Also check frame for any cracks or previous repairs. And the axle, should likely not be original.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:23 PM   #5

California
Is there an easy way to tell if the axle has been replaced? I had asked the current owner and he does not know if it still the original one.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:49 AM   #6

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikogab View Post
Is there an easy way to tell if the axle has been replaced? I had asked the current owner and he does not know if it still the original one.
Just assume it's old. Rarely do people replace axles whether they should or not.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 07:17 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
You can evaluate the condition of a rubber torsion axle a couple of ways. (1) Look for uneven tire wear or have the alignment checked. That reveals if an axle is worn out or damaged. (2) Jack up one side on the frame and note how much the wheel drops. Little or no movement indicates an aged out axle in which the rubber has lost its elasticity.

If I were dealing with an axle of uncertain age, I’d perform the second test and do an informal visual check of the condition and alignment, particularly whether it appears splayed out under load. If it passes muster on both counts, I’d run the axle and monitor tire wear and ride quality.

One issue that might tip the balance toward a new axle is brakes. If the axle doesn't have brakes and it lacks the square mounting flange for brakes, that would be a great reason to splurge on the comfort and safety of a new axle with brakes. Many small and mid-sized tow vehicles (as well as some states) require brakes over 1000#. Even if not required, electric trailer brakes are a great upgrade to increase safety and reduce wear on your vehicle brakes.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:31 AM   #8

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
You can evaluate the condition of a rubber torsion axle a couple of ways. (1) Look for uneven tire wear or have the alignment checked. That reveals if an axle is worn out or damaged. (2) Jack up one side on the frame and note how much the wheel drops. Little or no movement indicates an aged out axle in which the rubber has lost its elasticity.

If I were dealing with an axle of uncertain age, I’d perform the second test and do an informal visual check of the condition and alignment, particularly whether it appears splayed out under load. If it passes muster on both counts, I’d run the axle and monitor tire wear and ride quality.
This is great, thanks!