Hi all! I am Kelly in WA - - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-17-2017, 06:28 PM   #15

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Kelly- I knew I would *have* to purchase a tow vehicle, which smarted right in the old wallet, but I have really enjoyed all the bells and whistles in my 2012 Carship Enterprise ! It's been a pleasant change to drive a auto transmission, even if I had to give up 10 mpg over what my our lightweight little stickshifts get. If I had stuck with trying to find something my 2006 Saturn could pull...well, it just wouldn't have worked out (1000 lbs MAx IF it had come with tow package. It didn't) The Carship can pull up to 7500 lbs. Overkill for molded fiberglass (our snoozy weighed in at 2460 on the truck scales) but it keeps our options open for the future. I wish you well on your search.

Old 11-03-2017, 09:23 AM   #16

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Looking for small TT
Washington
I currently have a Ford Expedition with heavier towing capacity (9000#), so it should be no problem in that area.

Old 11-03-2017, 09:52 AM   #17

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Miami, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYoung View Post
I currently have a Ford Expedition with heavier towing capacity (9000#), so it should be no problem in that area.
Nice that we won't be having the "can my Suzuki Sidekick pull an Oliver Elite" discussion! Welcome to the GFC! (Glass Fiber Cult.)
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:59 AM   #18

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYoung View Post
Hi Kelly,

With that kind of towing capacity, it sounds like you qualify for our "unlimited" new owner special!
  1. Pick something you like. Anything, in fact.
  2. Tow it happily ever after.
  3. If it's not absolutely perfect, repeat steps 1 and 2.
I guess that just about concludes this thread (dusts off hands.) Thanks for posting!

Naw, I was just joking. Now you can focus on figuring out what might be a good fit for you so you don't have to go to step 3.

So, ask away. Somehow I think the prospect of helping other people spend their money is one of the happiest themes on enthusiast forums. So, you'll get lots of advice and perspectives of every kind!

Then all you have to do is figure out what resonates with you for your style.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:53 PM   #19

Name: aaron
Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 & Vanagon
Idaho
When I started looking at Scamps or Casitas I was really surprised to find that Casitas seem to be far more common here in the north west. I would have assumed it was the opposite, or people just like their Scamp too much to sell.

With a smaller TT, something to think about is if you are willing to put the bed away and convert it to a dinette every day. I have spent years traveling in a Vanagon so it does not bother me doing it every day but many don't like going through that effort. Leaving it as a bed really cuts down on the usable space in a small TT. But if you do leave it as a bed, then one of the models with a side dinette might work well for you.

I also travel with my two dogs (husky and a border collie), and ended up picking a Scamp layout 4. Having the front bench/bunks gives the dogs a place to sleep that is not in bed with me or in the way on the floor. You can even convert it to a bunk, let the dogs sleep on the bottom and you still have the top to throw jackets, hats, and other things on top. The back rest of the bench is at an angle and I find it far more comfortable to sit on then a standard dinette (with its vertical back cushion), and works out as a great place to read or take a nap. It also lets you sit inside and stretch your legs out.

First trip in the scamp, on the first night the dogs had no idea what to do when they got inside. But the second night I let them in and they both jumped up into the bottom bunk and passed out.

Keep an eye out on on fiberglass-rv-4sale.com, as they search for ads from craigslist from around the country and post them in a centralized spot.