Hi, and a question. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-14-2011, 04:38 PM   #1

Name: Dan
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
Question Hi, and a question.

Hi everyone.
I am a retired computer programmer in Sacramento Calif.
I am looking to get a small trailer to go camping.
My question is this:
I am on the LARGE size ... 300+ lbs. Anyone my size around that can give me information on self contained units and the size of the toilet space?
Is there anything my size or am I out of luck?

Thanks for any help you can give me

--
benDan
bendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:13 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Dan, welcome to FiberglassRV. We're glad you're here. Bed and bathroom sizes are always a topic for discussion. I have a side-bath Scamp and it's really small. Sorta like a phone booth! I'll have to leave the other brands discussions to others. But no matter the brand, you'll not find a molded trailer with a house size bathroom. Think sitting on the toilet to shower, stand and bend to rinse... Navy shower. For every inch put into a bathroom, that has to come from somewhere else. For the most part, we'd rather have larger beds, closets and counter space.

Best of luck
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:42 PM   #3

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
We have a 17ft Casita Spirit Deluxe. When we first got the unit my husband was over 300 lbs. He is 6'1". He always uses the campground shower just because we have always done so. He did use the toilet with no trouble. Now he is half the weight he used to be. He still uses the CG shower. I think in an emergency he could have used the shower but it would not have been the easiest thing.
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:50 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Hi Dan!

Terry R. gave a great answer to your question, but somehow it ended up on the wrong thread---

vickie
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:08 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
welcome dan, most folks i have read about here site down and shower. But it got me to thinking if folks prefer to stand-up... i wonder if going to a molded fiberglass 5th wheel will get you a bigger shower since the whole trailer is bigger. That's just an idea i wondered about. But you need a truck for those. What size trailer were you thinking about and we can help out more.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:07 PM   #6

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
My Hubby is 6 ft and 275 and fits upright with plenty of room to spare in the LiL Snoozy shower as well as the EggCamper brand. The Casita was a little bit tighter but still doable. We never found a Scamp with a front bath to try but if it's the same size as the Casita it's not bad.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:23 PM   #7

California
I am not concerned with the shower but with the use of the toilet itself.
Leg room is a reoccurring problem for me.
I have a 2003 Ford Econoline :
Engine 5.4L SEFI V-8
Axle Ratio 3.55
Total Weight (lbs.) 5,179
GVWR (lbs.) 7,000
GCWR (lbs.) 12,000
Maximum Loaded Trailer Weights (lbs.) 6,800
with tow package.
I want to camp in both established (fed & state) campgrounds and unimproved spots like Plush Oregon etc.
I am handicapped (back and shoulders) so I want something easy to setup and breakdown for travel.
My wife will be with me sometimes but she doesn't like to just go camping so most of the time it will be just me.
I would prefer a small trailer but I must be able to fit into it.

Thanks for your help.

--
benDan
Old 04-15-2011, 05:26 PM   #8

well, looks like you can tow anything you want then. I dont know if you are looking for new or used. I have never been in one but eggcamper has what look like to be a big bathroom for a molded fiberglass trailer. They have a shower curtain that looks to me to be easy entry. If you are interested in other popular brands like casita or scamp members can post the bathroom size for you to get an idea of the size. You can measure it out on your floor to get a general idea. Thats what i have done for bed sizes in the past with a tape measure.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendan View Post
I am not concerned with the shower but with the use of the toilet itself.
Leg room is a reoccurring problem for me.
I have a 2003 Ford Econoline :
Engine 5.4L SEFI V-8
Axle Ratio 3.55
Total Weight (lbs.) 5,179
GVWR (lbs.) 7,000
GCWR (lbs.) 12,000
Maximum Loaded Trailer Weights (lbs.) 6,800
with tow package.
I want to camp in both established (fed & state) campgrounds and unimproved spots like Plush Oregon etc.
I am handicapped (back and shoulders) so I want something easy to setup and breakdown for travel.
My wife will be with me sometimes but she doesn't like to just go camping so most of the time it will be just me.
I would prefer a small trailer but I must be able to fit into it.

Thanks for your help.

--
benDan
I'm not real big sized (5'10" and 200lbs) and find the bathroom size is ok on my Casita 17'.

Actually, because the shower pan is right in front of the toilet and lower, I find that its to tall for me to be comfortable when ummmm...., seated.
So, I'm guessing with longer legs it might be fine?

I would suggest you find some people near you with some different trailers and take a look at them. Then you will know 1st hand. I'm sure there are some near you?

As far as easy set up.... Wooo Hooo... this is SO much better than my old Pop up trailer of years ago.

Dale
2010 Nissan Frontier CC
Dale AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:53 AM   #10

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
I'm 6'4" and before my diet (this last year), weighed a bit over 225; I can "fit" in our Eggcamper bathroom with no lack of leg room when "sitting." Shoulder room isn't spacious, but the curtain instead of a door makes it less claustrophobic since my elbows aren't banging into a door. I can stand to shower, but have to stoop over a bit. The toilet itself isn't a heavy-duty unit and I wonder how it would do with 300 pounds?
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:15 AM   #11

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Trying not to be too personal here, but because of my knee surgery last summer and the continuing issues I have with it, we raised the portapotty to a higher level (At first, we just set it on a coil of hose that we did not open when we bought it at the discount store. I don't remember what we have now. We switched to something that does not move when you use it. I would have to check what we use now if you want that information.). At times, I just left my legs hanging out the door and used the portapotty sideways.

Something like that might be a solution.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:35 AM   #12

California
Thanks everyone

It is probable that folks my size are using larger units.
The toilet dimensions may be the reason.

I shall look at larger units but I would have enjoyed being able to get into some places that the larger trailers can't go.

I wish to thank everyone for considering my question and special thanks to those of you that responded.

--
bendan
Old 04-19-2011, 06:21 PM   #13

Name: Michael
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B25RQ
BC
Hi Dan and welcome. I note that you pull with an Econoline so you have a van permitting privacy that you could use with a cassette style toilet.
As Donna mentioned bathrooms are rather limited in size in most types of Egg rv's.
I might consider a cassette style toilet stored in your VAN. As for water use, NAVY showers are always good practice, especially if you are dry camping.

http://www.thetford.com/HOME/PRODUCT...3/Default.aspx
mike_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:08 PM   #14

California
<<cassette style toilet stored in your VAN>>
This includes dumping a tank vs carrying a porta potty tank around.

<Sigh> I'm going to start checking out building my own from a shell but that will probably be more money than I can afford </Sigh>

--
bendan
Old 04-19-2011, 07:51 PM   #15

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Go with a cargo trailer, you can build it any way you want it.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:41 PM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Dan, check out this molded cargo trailer. Pictures by catrinka613 - Photobucket The owner, Cathy Mutch is/was a member here on FiberglassRV. We haven't seen her for a while. But I think the concept is totally cool, although I'd want the kitchen inside. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:33 AM   #17

California
@Donna D.Thanks for the link ... I sent a message to the poster ... I will see what happens.