Hi and a question! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-03-2014, 04:33 PM   #1

Name: Ivan
Trailer: In the market
Oregon
Hi and a question!

Hi,

I'm new to the whole world of RVs and campers (looking to buy one in the next year or two). My wife showed me a couple of them on craigslist, and I just love the convenience and style these offer (have yet to see what one is like in person). I've been most interested in the style of the rounded Scamp style campers (as opposed to the boxier type campers).

I'm curious though... for the 13' or 16' models, are there any of these that have the main bed area enclosed (by some kind of solid partition/door)?
IvanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 05:02 PM   #2

Name: Larry & Joyce
Trailer: 1974 Trillium 1300
Fergus Ontario
Registry
I haven't seen any with the kind of partition you mention. But on ours, it wouldn't be hard to put one in. But with the tight quarters in these campers, I'd find that a bit cumbersome.
Larry Tenhage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:13 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Some arrange a curtain to screen off the bed area, although in a small trailer it seems like it would always be in the way. Escape offers one in a 21 ft trailer and most seem to decline the option.

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:08 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Wondering why...?

Thinking maybe one person likes to rise early, make coffee, read..., and the other likes to sleep in...?

I agree that some kind of curtain is probably your best bet. Better if it's easily removable (tension shower rod, perhaps) so it's out of the way during the day. These trailers are small!

Considered a fifth-wheel? Scamp, Escape, Bigfoot make/made one. Sleeping area is more separate.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 04:16 PM   #5

Oregon
Just curious really. I was thinking it might be nice to be able to sleep without as much disruption if others wanted to be up and about, but of course I do realize there are trade offs when camping...

Old 07-06-2014, 04:26 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I used on of these in an earlier trailer:

Croydex Retractable Clothes Line in Chrome-QA108641YW at The Home Depot

Charlie

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 04:58 PM   #7

Arizona
Registry
In most cases, the place to be "up and about" while others sleep is outside. Because they are so small (other than a 5er), almost any activity (except maybe quietly reading) would disrupt a sleeper. A curtain thick enough to block a reading light could help for that. Wouldn't do much about sound, though.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:00 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
You figure a 13' trailer has a cabin size of 10'. A bed is 48-54", wall that off and you now have a cabin that's less than 6'. Don't know about you, but the master bath in my sticks 'n bricks home is bigger!

Yep a curtain that you can pull back out of the way during the day is what you'd prefer to use, honestly. You will want daylight when you can get it and most of these trailers have most of the windows in the rear dinnette (bed area).
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:04 AM   #9

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Hi and a question!

Great question? With small campers there are not many options! This is a problem with my wife, she likes to sleep late, I like to get up early and there is not very much room! The only answers appear to be Escape, Bigfoot or 5th wheels. I am trying very hard to make my wife HAPPY! Curtains are nice and will help reduce the amount of light, but they really don't help with noise!
Please keep the suggestion coming!

Carl
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:33 AM   #10

Arizona
Registry
A lot depends on how you plan to use the trailer. Like you, I am an early riser and my wife prefers to sleep in. But we destination camp (ie, camp at a single location on each trip for several days) in mild weather. We set up an outdoor kitchen and living area, where I can be "up and about" without bothering sleepers in the trailer. So a 13'er works for us.

If I were going to be touring (ie, moving from place to place frequently) or camping in cooler seasons, I'd want a bigger trailer so I could cook inside and just throw up a few chairs outside at each stop. In that case the small 5-ers would look very attractive! Many can be towed with smaller p-ups (Tacoma & Frontier are popular choices) that make reasonably practical daily drivers.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:20 AM   #11

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Synchronization

Ginny can sleep later than me. Over our 14 years of RVing we have synchronized our sleep habits. We always go to bed together. On traveling trips where we are outside a lot, exploring, we tend to go to bed around 9-10 PM. I wake with the sunrise, usually between 5 and 6, even with our double curtains the sun can blaze through.

Ginny is usually still sleeping when I wake. I usually grab my laptop, a benefit of a hotspot, and read the news in bed. If we have TV I turn on the news at 6AM; the sound of TV does not wake Ginny, at least not in a rush. We're always out of bed by 7 AM. I un-make the bed and Ginny usually makes our standard breakfast.

We get up early so we can get out and begin the days adventures, most always out by 9 AM.

I find the becoming one, the working together on the adventure, to be one of the best elements of travel.

I know it's not everyone's style, but maybe it's because we're on the road so much, our lives have moved closer to one life rather than two. I hope that doesn't sound to silly.

We usually discuss what we're going to do tomorrow, creating a common view. I tend to see more than Ginny. As a result I involve her in as much 'newness' as possible. Ginny has embraced the exploration and we both love the adventure of it all. She particularly loves to see 'it' first. I always equate travel to early dating, the sharing of new worlds.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:26 AM   #12

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
If I understand your post you are very lucky, there are two eggs on your Craigslist? I have NEVER seen an egg of any kind on our Craigslist or anywhere else locally for that matter. I got mine through word of mouth and it was not for sale when I approached the owner. I had to pry it loose with a large stack of hundred dollar bills.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:03 PM   #13

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I and my three sons have each bought fiberglass trailers on Craigslist. You do need to be quick.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:25 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile To IvanZ the op

I see you are in Oregon. First of all, welcome to the blog.

You have to go to the Bandon gathering. There are tons of eggs there and lots of friendly folks happy to show a newbie their rig.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ing-61675.html

Make a day of it Saturday the 18th. For lunch I recommend:

Bandon Fish Market
249 1st St. SE, Bandon, OR 97411

Yum

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 03:31 PM   #15

Oregon
Oh man, I wish we could attend but we have plans that weekend. I'm sure we'll find our way to a meet sooner or later...

Old 07-10-2014, 03:41 PM   #16

Name: Deborah
Trailer: Prius camping - want an Oliver
Virginia
Though I'm not planning on a Lil Snoozy any more, its bed setup might be what you're looking for:
Old 07-11-2014, 07:09 PM   #17

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Ya know what? Just get the camper you like, go camping and then decide what modifications you want to make. A division between the bed and sleeping area should not be a deciding factor. In fact, if you purchase a used trailer you may have little choice at all. All these FGRVs are great fun!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:42 PM   #18

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
If you imagine the space occupied by a king size bed that has a love seat against the foot of it that is about the same size as a 13 ft. camper. Don't think you can do much of anything in it without having a good chance of your sleeping partner at least being aware of it. Even if they don't fully waken.

My wife gets up early enough to slap a rooster awake for sunrise. I being more in tune with nature wake up when the sun is at a useful height in the sky. I am well used to her getting out of bed at an hour when humans (or at least this human) should be in their caves.

We have a thermos of coffee put up the night before and she will often sip her morning coffee and read or if there is internet check facebook or email. Sometimes she will go outside and start getting stuff together for breakfast or the day. Then I wake up make fire or get the Coleman stove going once the sun is up to the point I'm not having to use a flashlight to do it.

But unless she goes outside there is no way I could sleep through her getting breakfast ready or watching TV it would be only a couple of feet from my head.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote