Hi everyone... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2012, 07:35 AM   #1

Name: Dave and Shelly
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe Casita "New Name: Eggspensive"
Iowa
Hi everyone...

Good morning. My name is Shelly, I have a handy hubby and two dogs and a somewhat naughty conure. I have been lurking here for a while checking out the classifieds. We sold our 24 foot Wildcat last fall and decided we need to scale down a bit. We would really like a Casita but they are hard to find in our area. A fifth wheel scamp would be ok as well but i am really leaning towards the 17 foot casita. I am hoping for some help finding one in our area, or surrounding states in our price range. I am looking forward to meeting all of you. I have been looking at pics on here, there are so many adorable campers, i hope to officially welcome home my egg by spring.
sfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:25 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Shelly, welcome to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here! There's a Casita and then there's a Casita... is there a particular model you're interested in? Just curious more than anything. In addition to the member For Sale ads and referrals here on FiberglassRV, have you checked this classified site: Molded Fiberglass Trailers | Fiberglass RV's For Sale the pull down under Fiberglass RV Listings will get you to the Casita ads.

Good luck in your egg hunt!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:06 AM   #3

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
Hi Shelly, Welcome aboard!

The site that Donna mentioned is excellent and was my number one goto while shopping. It may introduce you to some other brands as well. It is however sometimes not updated for several days and you may learn the good ones go fast! I recommend you still search graigslist and else where diligently.

Are you planning to RV with your "Naughty Conure" (is there any other kind). I have an Orange Wing Amazon who's been left behind on trips for decades and I'm now contemplating bringing her along (She'd stay strictly in the egg).

Anyways, I'll let you get to the asking of questions and once again, welcome.
Mark
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:22 PM   #4

Iowa
Thank you both for the nice welcome. I know i don't want the baby 13 foot casita, we had a 13 foot burro one of our first campers. I love my hubby but we were newlyweds then and now we have been married 25 years. We need a little more space! So i used to think we wanted the liberty but DH doesn't agree, i think we would want to leave the bed down all the time and have the side dinet. So not sure what model that is but we know we need the shower and bath and air. I could live with out a heater. So Donna is it clear as mud what one i am looking for?
And Mark we have been on Craigslist every day. I wish the ones available would pop up closer to home, we do have to work for a living and it is hard to pop on down to texas or halfway accross the US. I go to ebay classifieds and also e bay. I would hate to buy one with out looking at it though. I am on my noon hour so will have to sign out here soon but really looking forward to checking out the sight closer and meeting more of you. PS My conure is a yellow sided green cheek and he has gone along in a smaller cage but we used to have much more space in the old camper. I am hoping there will be a place to put him. He gets his beak out of joint when he has to stay home. LOL
Old 01-09-2012, 02:31 PM   #5

Hang in there Shelly, it's winter time in most places and trailers have been put away until Spring. I expect about March/April you'll see the classifieds pickup some. That's when you snooze, you lose... really fast.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:11 PM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Shelly, I guess in your case we know which came first... the bird, not the egg! Good luck and happy shopping. If all else fails, maybe you can order a new one? They hold their value really well.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:42 PM   #7

Name: Sandra
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13' Std.
Minnesota
Hi Shelly - and welcome! If it's in your price range and you have your heart absolutely set on a Casita, ordering a new one might not be a half-bad idea. I talked with Casita just after Thanksgiving, and they were only at about a one-month time (don't remember exactly, but it was FAST). She said after New Year's the lead time expands, but right before/after the holidays it's not a long wait. So, if it's wait time you're hesitant on, you might be pleasantly surprised.

The bad part about the upper midwest for used Casita shopping is that, if a well-priced Casita in good condition comes up, you're going to be competing against others waiting for that rare opportunity. I'm in MN and have been eyeing CL for about two years off and on for campers - mostly because I'm a geek and like to see what pops, not so much as a serious shopper. I don't know that I've seen a Casita show up once in those two years. I always get that hit for the "Wanted - Burro Casita Scamp" someone unfailingly posts 1x a month on the Minneapolis CL, but not much more.

One idea - maybe you could clear a 4-5 day timeframe in Mar/April/May where you COULD drive IF you found something a little further afield -- e.g. plan to have the travel flexibility to be able to jump in your vehicle and drive to somewhere like TX if something comes up? If you get a camper by then, you can just go camping! And if not, with a little luck something will come up and you won't be blocked from chasing it down by work or personal obligations. Just a thought.

These things have a way of working out. Your egg will come!
raster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:42 PM   #8

Iowa
oohhh we can dream a little dream

A new one would be awsome but not in the cards at this time. Too many other things we need like a new deck, sewer system, garage, pickup....and the list goes on. It's too hard to feel good about purchasing a new one at this point. But ohhh wouldn't it be fun!!!!!!
Old 01-09-2012, 03:53 PM   #9

Iowa
Sandra, we have a black out period at work where i can't take any time off right now but after this week i should be able to do that. I could pack a bag and be ready to roll. I would hate to say, yes i am coming to texas to see your casita and then get there and have it be sold though. Would have to work something out with the seller. We also had a burro, soooo cute. I will keep an eye out. Thanks for your post!
Old 01-09-2012, 04:10 PM   #10

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Shelly,

Since you had a Burro and Uhaul and seem to be following in that ilk (I sometimes mix up Casitas at rallies with Uhaul VTs, because they have that center ceiling ridge like the Burro and Uhaul.) for shape, maybe think about the Eggcamper too or the larger Burro (a trailer that I often think of). They are both shaped similar to your previous camper and to the Casita. Maybe with a handy hubby, you can even get a new Eggcamper that is stripped down and finish it off yourselves.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:46 PM   #11

Iowa
thats an idea.... i will check out the egg website. I guess the reason i am hooked on a casita is that i was told that they have bigger holding tanks than the scamp. I don't know quality wise how they measure up but i am doing some research since i seem to have plenty of time until the spring eggs are put on the market. Thanks for that idea.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:53 PM   #12

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Modifying

What ever you chose will require modification for your use. We have severely modified our rig to meet our long term travel plans.

The key is to figure out the space you really "need".

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:09 PM   #13

Tanks are always the least of my concern. I built a homemade tote to take care of any full tanks and because it's only 7 gallons I can pick it up and carry it to wherever it needs to be dump.

It's the interior and living space that's important to me. YMMV
Old 01-10-2012, 11:15 AM   #14

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1996 16' Casita SD
Louisiana
Registry
Having just gone through the buying-over-the-internet process, and buying one "unseen". I can tell you, as long as you have good communication both ways, it can be a pleasure. First thing, contact the seller and ask for as many pictures as you can get. Any history is always relevant, i.e., where did it spend most of it's life? Any issues?
There' are a lot of campers out there for sale or as Donna said, will come up for sale in the spring. Don't get in a hurry. (Well, I did when a 2008 13' Casita was on CL for $3500, but I was tooo late!).
Incidentally, I live in Shreveport LA and drove up to Omaha to get my camper.
750 miles one way, with my almost 80 year old Dad, was a great trip that I may not get a chance to do again with him.
I offered a down payment (another suggestion) to hold it until I could get it. He accepted. It was a good transaction!
Good luck on your search!
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:17 PM   #15

Iowa
Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Tanks are always the least of my concern. I built a homemade tote to take care of any full tanks and because it's only 7 gallons I can pick it up and carry it to wherever it needs to be dump.

It's the interior and living space that's important to me. YMMV
I have a blue one from years ago when we had the burro. Might be a good form of exercise running that thing back and forth to the dump station.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:20 PM   #16

Iowa
Thanks Mike!

Yes, i know it can be a good way to go. My luck doesn't always follow thru though. I have been watching e bay. I am getting so excited! I hope the one i am looking at pulls thru. Will have to wait and see. Thanks you guys.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:21 PM   #17

Iowa
DH is ready to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
What ever you chose will require modification for your use. We have severely modified our rig to meet our long term travel plans.

The key is to figure out the space you really "need".
My husband is the king of modification. He has a list of things to do and we don't even have an egg yet!