Hi everyone! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2014, 09:14 PM   #1

Name: Jay
Trailer: Boler 1300
Ontario
Registry
Hi everyone!

Hi, I'm Jay from Ontario. Just bought a Boler 1300 last week and I can't wait to make it look great! I have been reading and researching these small little beauties for a while and I have to say this is the forum that has had all of the info and I decided I had better join it to get in on the action.
I am pretty excited about the project sitting in my garage and all of the threads here have given me some good ideas. I have already started repairing some cracks and holes ( looks like someone backed into a too low garage at one time- some pretty serious cracks on the roof).
I am also planning on removing and replacing the headliner carpet fabric (scampers call it rat fur I think) anyone else tried this? What is better- ensolite or foam backed headliner carpeting?
Thanks for any help,
Jay

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:58 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Welcome to FGRV Jay, a whole lot of info from the folks here.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:34 AM   #3

Ontario
Registry
Thanks Dave. I've been reading the posts for a while and I have to say that FGRV really helped me when we were researching buying a used trailer.
Jay
Old 10-07-2014, 05:30 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Welcome Jay & congratulations on your purchase.
A warning , it may start as "fixing a few things like cracks" but soon it will turn into making your Boler perfect for you. Ejoy your project
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:22 PM   #5

Ontario
Registry
Thanks Ian,
I appreciate the thoughts. You should know I read your entire post before is even bought my little egg. I made list of plans just from your trailer rebuild. Love what you did and although I am not modifying the floor plan I am planning on a pretty big interior reno.
What did you do for insulation and wall cover? Did you manage to keep the original ensolite or did you replace it with new?
Jay

Old 10-09-2014, 07:07 AM   #6

Name: Don
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Hi Jay I'm new here and from Ontario too. I'll be following your rebuild. I pick my 1975 Trillium on Sat
Don ravinerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:12 AM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay H View Post
I am also planning on removing and replacing the headliner carpet fabric (scampers call it rat fur I think) anyone else tried this? What is better- ensolite or foam backed headliner carpeting?
Thanks for any help,
Jay
Jay before you do that I highly recommend that you use the search function on this site on the topic . Top right "Search" on the drop down menu use the very bottom search box - "search site / Google" - works the best.

What you are wanting to do can get pricy and frustrating (time consuming) ...... more than one party has gutted a Boler with the plan to replace the headliner only to give up after a time and sell it gutted!

Scamp BTW sells the Marine Headliner (also known as rat fur) they use over top of a foil insulation. You though pick up/order the marine headliner from marine supply shops.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:50 AM   #8

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I recently, after 23 years, had to reattach some of the overhead marine fabric in our Scamp 16. It turned out very well.

It amazes me that this stuff stands up well, nothing seems to bother it. What lasts for 23 years?

We are RVers that cook more than once a day in our trailer.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:02 AM   #9

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I recently, after 23 years, had to reattach some of the overhead marine fabric in our Scamp 16. It turned out very well.

It amazes me that this stuff stands up well, nothing seems to bother it. What lasts for 23 years?

We are RVers that cook more than once a day in our trailer.
Norm,
What material did you use to reattach your rat fur? Is there any easy way to clean the ceiling? Have you ever cleaned your ceiling?
Thanks,

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else! Yogi Berra
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:16 AM   #10
Commercial Member

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
Carl, I re-glued my headliner and reflectix last year, thread is here:

I used 3M 90 spray adhesive, it's strong stuff. When applied to a tarp, the material will shred and rip before the adhesive fails. It's not cheap, but I used almost one can that did the whole ceiling in my 13. Respirator is a must! The hardest part is judging when it's dry enough to mate the pieces. I would say that if I have to do it again, the reflectix is going to be put on with contact cement and a small roller.
KevinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:22 AM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinPete View Post
I used 3M 90 spray adhesive, it's strong stuff. When applied to a tarp, the material will shred and rip before the adhesive fails. It's not cheap, but I used almost one can that did the whole ceiling in my 13. Respirator is a must! The hardest part is judging when it's dry enough to mate the pieces. I would say that if I have to do it again, the reflectix is going to be put on with contact cement and a small roller.

I used the same to do a few spots on my trailer where I removed the rat fur and reflex to get at some old wiring issues.

The key to using it is as Kevin says you need to know when it is ready to tack up. Read the instructions carefully - best to spray both sides and leave it for a minute or more until if you put your fingers on it, it does not come off on your fingers - just feels sticky. Also do not install in very hot or cold weather.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:35 AM   #12

Florida
Carl,
I used a Loctite product (I'll find the specific product name). It was expensive but it allowed me to apply it without removing the fabric. It hada long spray nozzle that helped.

It was not like the previously mentioned 3M product that requires application to both surfaces.

I applied the material to the fabric, gaining access at the seams and held it in place with thin pieces of plywood supported by 1x3's to the floor until it dried, much like you might use supporting ceilinbg sheet rock.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-09-2014, 12:38 PM   #13

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Thanks everyone on the help on how to glue the rat fur in a Scamp!
Does anyone have any good suggestions on the best way to clean the whole inside ceiling of my Scamp, without replacing all of the rat fur?
Thanks,

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else! Yogi Berra
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 03:08 PM   #14

Ontario
Registry
Wow, lots of great stuff here! I have been searching for insulated headliners in ontario - there's a retailer in Barrie - and I understand that ensolite is being manufactured again too. I have had to remove sections of the carpeting because there are two cracks straight through the shell that I am in the process of repairing.
The carpet (headliner) doesn't have any insulation right now though so I was hoping I could change that as well.
I can see just how big and complex a job it would be. I have saved all of the pieces that have come out just so that I can use them as a template.
Here's the question I would love some feedback on: what is the better choice, an ensolite (elephant skin) headliner or a carpeted (rat fur) covering? I like the clean look of the traditional ensolite (the new Trilliums have a similar material) but I admit the carpeting seems cosier. I would be grateful for Any thoughts on the topic. Here are few pics of my new obsession, taken before the renovation started of course. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1412888827.550986.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	77375Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1412888850.578099.jpg
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	77376Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1412888876.047743.jpg
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	77377Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1412888894.571654.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	77378
JayClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1412888719.355107.jpg
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	77374

Old 10-09-2014, 03:14 PM   #15

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Jay before you do that I highly recommend that you use the search function on this site on the topic . Top right "Search" on the drop down menu use the very bottom search box - "search site / Google" - works the best.

What you are wanting to do can get pricy and frustrating (time consuming) ...... more than one party has gutted a Boler with the plan to replace the headliner only to give up after a time and sell it gutted!

Scamp BTW sells the Marine Headliner (also known as rat fur) they use over top of a foil insulation. You though pick up/order the marine headliner from marine supply shops.

Thanks Carol, I'll look into some of the previous posts. I priced out some replacement headliner materials already and it does look tricky but right now I am pretty confident that I could finish the job - more importantly my wife seems to think I could do it too! I will keep looking and reading before I but anything completely.
Jay

Old 10-09-2014, 04:34 PM   #16
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Good day neighbor.... welcome to the forum. Lots of good info here and many friendly members. Enjoy!
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 05:35 PM   #17

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Jay, we have had a 13' Scamp with the elephant hide, and one with the rat fur.
I enjoyed the rat fur much better, as it was quieter, and did not sweat like the elephant hide did. We never had any problems with odors or stains with either interior covering, but we never had any dogs or cats....I noticed when we had a dog visit with it's owner one day, that I had to pull the fur out of the rat fur as the vacuum was not able to pull it loose.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 06:22 PM   #18

Ontario
Registry
Thanks for the input Dave. We wondered about the sweating on the elephant hide.

Old 10-09-2014, 06:42 PM   #19

Florida
Carl, When ever I get a spot I use a spray carpet cleaner. I've never done a larger area.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16