Hi from BC! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2018, 02:59 PM   #1

Name: Kat
Trailer: In the market!
British Columbia
Smile Hi from BC!

Hi all! I'm a kiwi who's been in British Columbia with my family for three years - being a tent camper just doesn't cut it when there are bears around

We currently have a tent trailer, but the capacity for things to go wrong stresses me out & I've got my eyes peeled for a 13 foot fiberglass trailer - I was looking pretty seriously at an Outback Trillium but have a few concerns after looking up reviews on the internet today (will post a new thread for any ideas?).

Anyhow, hi! Thanks for having me.
katnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 03:10 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
lot of happy trillium owners here

welcome and good luck

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:32 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
Welcome!!
ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:12 AM   #4

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Howdy there. Some of the US parks with bear problems refuse to allow tents and pop ups. Youd be surprised at what can attract those omnivores. We have boar racoons up to about 40 lbs in some of our parks in FL and one gnawed a hole in one of my Boy Scout's tent walls to make off with his bubble gum flavored toothpaste. I had a LOT of upset parents when I decreed no flavored toothpaste after that. When they complained it was the only way to get their kids to brush. I suggested maybe a week without brushing wouldnt kill them. I hope you enjoy searching for a Fiberglass camper. I think my life would have been a lot more enjoyable if Id started searching for a camper as soon as I realized tenting was no longer an option for me.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:04 AM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Welcome Kat, keep your eyes peeled!
There are usually several fgrvs for sale in BC through the summer.
There are lots of older bolers around, check Kijiji, Craigslist constantly, BUT go in with your eyes open!
Good luck on your quest!
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 11:15 AM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
camping

we tented for 40 years 4 trips to Europe all 50 states and never had a problem with bears or any other critter while in Alaska we saw bear hair everywhere they must be shedding creatures. whatever you choose to do just get out there and have fun.

stop worrying

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 12:32 PM   #7

Name: Barb
Trailer: Trillium Outback 2004
British Columbia
Registry
Trillium Reviews, Etc.

Welcome Kat, from another BC'er. How many in your family/what ages? I have a 2004 Trillium Outback that I picked up 2nd hand 4 years ago. It took me almost 5 years looking for an all fiberglass trailer before I found one that was in good condition/affordable. Also looked at a couple of Bolers. One was in bad shape and needed a lot of work with skills I don't have, didn't want to learn. The other one was totally restored but the fellow wanted too much money for it. Very happy with my Trillium as it arrived in good condition with lots of well thought out upgrades by the previous owner.

Yes, I understand what you are saying about the reviews of the Trillium, but my guess is that they mostly have to do with dealing with the manufacturer in Calgary. Promises seem to come and go along with dates for delivery, and communications sound difficult. Other than that, if you were to order a new one, every thing I've read or heard about these trailers has been pretty positive. Now if you are looking at a 40 year-old anything there are bound to be issues of some sort. Whether or not the seller has dealt with them or not, and properly would be a deciding factor for me. And how much time and money you want to put into a "Project" trailer. Both can add up pretty quickly.

I took mine to Inuvik on a 3 month road trip and the only problem I had in 10,000 km was the fact that the mudflaps on my 4 x 4 truck were not good enough to protect the front of the trailer which sits on an 8 inch drop hitch. So I think it's a pretty solid unit after many miles of gravel roads.

Maybe attend the F.G. trailer rally at Fort Langley to have a look at the variety and ages of trailers if you're in that vicinity.

Ask any questions you like and I'll try and answer. There are lots of people on this site with tons of experience with Trilliums, etc. Have a look at the buyers checklist in the documents section.

Good luck in your search.