Hi from Brad in Pittsburgh... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-14-2017, 08:42 AM   #1

Name: Brad
Trailer: Actively Looking
Pennsylvania
Hi from Brad in Pittsburgh...

Hi,

My name is Brad and I am new to both this forum and the world of fiberglass RVs. My girlfriend and I are finally ready to make the jump from tent camping to a small trailer. From what we have looked at so far, it seems that fiberglass is the way to go! We are hoping to find a small/light enough trailer to pull with our small SUVs (1500 lb towing capacity). At this point we have no brand loyalty so we are open to anything.
bradleyj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:13 AM   #2

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Welcome Brad,
Others will have a lot to add. Look for 13' trailers without all the amenities. They regularly are offered here, but get snapped up within hours.

Think cassette porta potty instead of wet bath. Scamp offers 13' trailers in new production, that may work for you.

Also, a firm in Denver, WEIS Craft, makes the Little Joe that is worth a look. Have fun!
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:44 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Agree. A basic 13'er without a lot of upgrades is your best bet. You'll still need to pack lightly. Ours weighs about 1700 pounds packed for four with stove and grill, awning and chairs, a large ice chest, and 3 bicycles.

One specific model to look out for is a vintage Hunter Compact Jr. It's one of the lightest, but has a nice large, longways bed (70"x72"). For comparison, the crossways bed in our Scamp is 45"x76". Best thing is it's narrower and lower than most for easier towing behind a smaller vehicle. A pop-up roof section provides stand-up headroom while allowing it to fit in a standard garage. Being vintage units, many need some work.

Welcome, and best wishes in your "egg hunt"!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 07:04 AM   #4

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
I knew we would have to buy a tow vehicle, we didn't do that until several months after we had ordered the LilSnoozy. It was so totally what I wanted!! The Carship Enterprise is a far different kettle of fish than our" basic transportation" stick shifts I've had most of my adult life. Good airconditioning, (a necessity in FL) lots of storage space, backup camera, all the bells and whistles.
A LILSNOOZy is advertised as 2400 lbs dry weight. I weighed mine (may've still had water in the freshwater tank) at 2460 a little after purchase. Those extra pounds made allthe difference to our comfort and liveability.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:30 AM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: 1986 Scamp 16
Pennsylvania
Brad, where in Pittsburgh are you located? We live in Cranberry.
Forward Look is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 06:46 AM   #6

Pennsylvania
I live in Beaver and work in Cranberry.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:16 AM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: 1986 Scamp 16
Pennsylvania
If you want to see our 16' Scamp layout 3 sometime, let us know. I know there is a 13' front bath Scamp being stored in Zelienople, but I haven't met the owner yet, though I assume she is somewhere nearby.

You have a 1500# towing capacity... Is it a newer Subaru Forester by chance?
Forward Look is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 11:31 AM   #8

Pennsylvania
I would love to come check out your Scamp. I am heading out of town tomorrow morning through labor day - so perhaps next week after work one day.

...and yes, a 2015 Forester w/ the CVT so I have to stay light.