Hi from FL/still reseaching campers - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-17-2015, 09:54 AM   #15

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Every year we seem to get caught in a hail storm somewhere, and have never suffered any damage to the trailer, but the tow vehicles do get damage. I would think the airstream would look like a golf ball in no time.
Dave & Paula

Old 02-17-2015, 10:19 AM   #16

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
To Concur with Jim....
I just happen to have a resident expert (?) as one of my tenants. Dean has worked for Precision Garage Doors for 7 years and confirmed that 84" was the "Residential Standard" garage door opening and anything higher than that was considered oversize and occasionally required ordering special size doors. He did allow that, due to the McMansions common in the area, that they also stocked a few 96" doors, but that most of those used what he called a "Five Panel Door" meaning that the opening was oversize, usually 96"+ and used a standard roll up door with an extra panel.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:48 AM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
As the OP is now considering an Oliver (or possibly an Airstream) it sounds like the garage-ability requirement has been set aside. I doubt either of those would fit through an 84" or even a 96" garage door opening. I have the latter in a small rental cabin I own, and I can tell you it's nice! It may become our retirement home, in which case, Scampy will have a home of her own, no special wheels needed!
Old 02-17-2015, 12:05 PM   #18

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
To Concur with Jim....
I just happen to have a resident expert (?) as one of my tenants. Dean has worked for Precision Garage Doors for 7 years and confirmed that 84" was the "Residential Standard" garage door opening and anything higher than that was considered oversize and occasionally required ordering special size doors. He did allow that, due to the McMansions common in the area, that they also stocked a few 96" doors, but that most of those used what he called a "Five Panel Door" meaning that the opening was oversize, usually 96"+ and used a standard roll up door with an extra panel.
22 x 22 feet garage with 16 x 8 door is a typical size of a two car garage for many single family homes with attached garages in residential areas. On real small city lots its also not uncommon to find a garage that is only 20' long - which is actually the min. building code for a garage in so far as length goes in these parts.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:59 PM   #19

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
AC and Florida

I see your located in Florida and I assume that means you need air conditioning, generally that means roof top air conditioning. I don't believe there are any trailers with roof top air conditioners that will fit in a standard garage.

Either you need a bigger garage, need to store it somewhere else or leave it outside. Often the latter is not allowed in some neighborhoods, though allowed in my neighborhood. Our trailer has been outside since we bought it, most of the time traveling and has suffered no ill effects.

We've had three trailers all 16 feet long or less over the last 7 years. We loved them all and had great travels with them. Though our present trailer is our favorite, the trailer is not the essence of the travel but rather the means.

If the majority on this site are typical, what ever you choose will not be your last trailer. Another factor, all the trailers you are considering do very well at keeping their value, particularly if you buy used.

wishing you well in your search.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 03:01 PM   #20
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Every year we seem to get caught in a hail storm somewhere, and have never suffered any damage to the trailer, but the tow vehicles do get damage. I would think the airstream would look like a golf ball in no time.
Dave & Paula
You are right Dave, an Airstream will dent from large hail. On our way to Watkins Glen one year a black cloud drifted towards us. We have a car with an aluminum hood and the aluminum Airstream. Luckily we came upon an underpass and parked the rig for ten minutes til the hail storm blew over.

The Coleman pop up we bought had an aluminum top that looked like a golf ball from hail damage. It actually looked good so no problem.
Just had a thought. How thick is the aluminum on those new F150 trucks?

Be thankful for insurance.
Old 02-17-2015, 03:15 PM   #21
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Just had a thought. How thick is the aluminum on those new F150 trucks?

Be thankful for insurance.

It is thicker than the skin on an Airstream, and no more likely to ding than a steel vehicle. And just so you know, not to be outdone, I am told that GM is going to all aluminum truck bodies next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 02-17-2015, 03:27 PM   #22

Name: Gloria
Trailer: In the market
Florida
Thanks y'all! Yes I think we are already convinced that we wont be able to get anything thru our garage door, 7ft. So I think we have to find storage or move :-)...... Never seen an Alto before.....

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 02-17-2015, 03:32 PM   #23

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Scamp Camp happens every February in Florida at Highland Hammocks State Park. Though the rally is dominated by Scamps there are all kinds of fiberglass trailers at the rally that you can walk through and meet with owners. Unfortunately this year's just ended but it's a great place to get a feel for fiberglass trailers.

We are located in Wauchula, FL right now and you would be welcome to see ours. We'll be here until the first of April.

Thanks! I'll tell my DH to see if we can drop by.......We retire next year, hopefully :-) so we can go to that Scamp/fiberglass rally next Feb. So exciting! :-)

Old 02-17-2015, 04:21 PM   #24

Name: Sally
Trailer: Scamp 19' Fifth Wheel
Florida
We are hunting too!

We started out looking at airstreams too. I grew up with a 31 foot international 1967..After looking at a few vintage ones, I realized...OMG, this was my dad's dream NOT mine!!

I realized that I love fiberglass and tiny so we are hunting for an escape or a scamp fiver! We went to Highlands Hammock last weekend.

Hubby says whatever I want BUT I got a great decision making tool app that is helping us narrow what we want. Make all of those pros and cons lists and get what seems right at the time because you can always change later when your needs change! I hope that you are enjoying your search as much as we are!

Sal
Old 02-17-2015, 06:08 PM   #25

Florida
Sal,
Oh yes! We are enjoying our search your are right :-) we learn something everyday. We'll see want happens at the end and who knows maybe after the big purchase, few yrs down the road we'll change our minds LOL.....but It's ok.... Life is good!

Old 02-17-2015, 10:49 PM   #26

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Oliver is a very nice trailer and well built. I've always found the Safari Alto intriguing but have never seen one in person since I think they only started selling to USA a year or two ago.... they are built in Quebec. But molded fiberglass bodies are much more durable and dent resistant than aluminum, and have less places to eventually leak (no seams).
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:56 AM   #27

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Hi from FL/still reseaching campers

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
...Though our present trailer is our favorite, the trailer is not the essence of the travel but rather the means... If the majority on this site are typical, what ever you choose will not be your last trailer. Another factor, all the trailers you are considering do very well at keeping their value, particularly if you buy used.

I think Norm raises a good point. It's hard to tell from your original post whether you are experienced RVers or novices, but many people go through several trailers before settling on what really works for their own style of travel. Rather than plunk down $40-$60K for a brand-new trailer like Oliver or Airstream, it might make sense to purchase a used Scamp, Casita, Escape, or whatever for $10-$20K, use it for a season or two, and then reevaluate what you really need.

Because FG trailers generally hold their value well, you would likely be able to sell it for close to what you paid. And if you do decide in the end to order the brand-new trailer of your dreams, you'd have something to use while it is being built. Most of the fiberglass manufacturers have wait times of 3-10 months for new units.