Hi from Jamestown ND - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2011, 09:57 PM   #1

Name: Chris
Trailer: Scamp 5th wheel
North Dakota
Hi from Jamestown ND

I have been lurking on this site for awhile while we anxiously awaited the "birth" of our 19" Scamp 5th wheel. She/He? (gender hasn't been determined, nor has name) arrived home yesterday lovingly towed by my husband using an '02 6cyl 4L Ford Ranger.

Today was spent getting her/him outfitted so we can be ready when the weather dries up and an open weekend arrives.

We are both new to Fiberglass RVing. In my other life I tented and my husband had a popup. This is going to be the height of luxury.

One thing we want to do ASAP is change out the window treatments. The dilemma though is we have no idea how things are attached to the walls of a Scamp. Any suggestions or a link to where it is explained would be greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to "meeting" everyone!
Chris in ND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:14 PM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
It's a girl, I can already tell.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:11 PM   #3

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
Welcome. Very familiar with Jamestown while passing through on vacations and through a company that was a part of my husband's past employer. In fact our 5th wheel Scamp and husband may be spending time in Dickinson.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 04:53 AM   #4

Trailer: 1996 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel ('TOGETHERNEST' SLEEPS 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris in ND View Post
I have been lurking on this site for awhile while we anxiously awaited the "birth" of our 19" Scamp 5th wheel. She/He? (gender hasn't been determined, nor has name) arrived home yesterday lovingly towed by my husband using an '02 6cyl 4L Ford Ranger.

Today was spent getting her/him outfitted so we can be ready when the weather dries up and an open weekend arrives.

We are both new to Fiberglass RVing. In my other life I tented and my husband had a popup. This is going to be the height of luxury.

One thing we want to do ASAP is change out the window treatments. The dilemma though is we have no idea how things are attached to the walls of a Scamp. Any suggestions or a link to where it is explained would be greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to "meeting" everyone!
For sure you should try to make the june Duluth Meet you can check out all of the other mods and meet some swell people Another closer one is very close to you in Manitoba just 30 miles north of the border on the Dakota Mn line.In Aug Enjoy We have pulled our 5er over 90,000 miles.
Lyndon Laney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:00 AM   #5

Name: Michael
Trailer: 1985 16 ft Scamp
Ohio
First of all, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your purchase. I hope it gives you many years of service and fond memories. There are a lot of very crafty folks here and they are more than willing to help you.

I don't know how your curtain rod brackets are attached but mine are pop-riveted through the shell from the outside. Mine were ground flush with the outer skin and filled with some type of body filler. I need to replace badly bent and missing hardware, which are available through Scamp Parts. Scamp Trailers When I replace mine, I will be using stainless steel button head bolts with hex heads and sealed during installation with strip caulk wrapped around the base of each bolt before tightening. There are many ways to do things and this is just one idea.

Good luck and have fun!
Michael
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:24 AM   #6

Name: mona
Trailer: Casita 16'
Wisconsin
Wall Mounts

Welcome,

Light weight curtains/window treatments can be supported by tension rods, if side bounaries are available.
Also, try adhesive backed brackets that have hooks. A light weight rod or dowel may support the curtain. 3M has a variety of hook sizes in hardware stores.
I used a light weight shower curtain to make window coverings. It was light weight and the right color.
Good Luck.
monasimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:02 AM   #7

North Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndon Laney View Post
For sure you should try to make the june Duluth Meet you can check out all of the other mods and meet some swell people Another closer one is very close to you in Manitoba just 30 miles north of the border on the Dakota Mn line.In Aug Enjoy We have pulled our 5er over 90,000 miles.
When is the June Duluth meet? We are planning to be in Duluth the weekend of the 25th

Perhaps the MB one would be doable!

Thanks for the info
Old 05-16-2011, 08:50 AM   #8

North Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
First of all, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your purchase. I hope it gives you many years of service and fond memories. There are a lot of very crafty folks here and they are more than willing to help you.

I don't know how your curtain rod brackets are attached but mine are pop-riveted through the shell from the outside. Mine were ground flush with the outer skin and filled with some type of body filler. I need to replace badly bent and missing hardware, which are available through Scamp Parts. Scamp Trailers When I replace mine, I will be using stainless steel button head bolts with hex heads and sealed during installation with strip caulk wrapped around the base of each bolt before tightening. There are many ways to do things and this is just one idea.

Good luck and have fun!
Michael

Thanks for the info Michael

We did some checking from the info you gave us and indeed they are pop riveted on. (doesn't make me too happy as they used cheap hardware)
We decided at this time to leave them and just change out the curtains. It helped a lot but still isn't ideal

That is one thing I think Scamp needs to work on. Everything else is wonderful, then they put in low end window treatments - go figure

Thanks again for your help!
Old 05-16-2011, 09:02 AM   #9

North Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by monasimpson View Post
Welcome,

Light weight curtains/window treatments can be supported by tension rods, if side bounaries are available.
Also, try adhesive backed brackets that have hooks. A light weight rod or dowel may support the curtain. 3M has a variety of hook sizes in hardware stores.
I used a light weight shower curtain to make window coverings. It was light weight and the right color.
Good Luck.
Thanks for your help

We decided to keep the brackets and rods and just change out the curtains. Changing window treatments all together is a lot more difficult in a Fiberglass RV than traditional!

Thanks again
Old 05-16-2011, 12:01 PM   #10

Name: Michael
Trailer: 1985 16 ft Scamp
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris in ND View Post
Thanks for the info Michael

We did some checking from the info you gave us and indeed they are pop riveted on. (doesn't make me too happy as they used cheap hardware)
We decided at this time to leave them and just change out the curtains. It helped a lot but still isn't ideal

That is one thing I think Scamp needs to work on. Everything else is wonderful, then they put in low end window treatments - go figure

Thanks again for your help!
Hi Chris

Glad to offer whatever help I can. There are many here who have helped me and I appreciate it more than words can express.

You are probably making a wise choice to leave them alone. Once you penetrate that outer shell, it opens the possibility for a leak to form.

I have been chasing a window leak all weekend and am getting frustrated. It was leaking badly, and now it leaks just a little. An improvement but unacceptable to me. I keep hearing the Fiberglass RV Forum Mantra in my mind. ..."NO SILICONE!"...
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:59 PM   #11

North Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndi B. View Post
Welcome. Very familiar with Jamestown while passing through on vacations and through a company that was a part of my husband's past employer. In fact our 5th wheel Scamp and husband may be spending time in Dickinson.

good thing your husband will be in Dickinson with your Scamp - housing and hotels are at a premium in that neck of the woods. I hope he enjoys his stay in our great state
Old 05-16-2011, 02:53 PM   #12

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
We were lucky to get a motel room when we were out there for the interview. We lived for a time in Eastern Montana a year ago and those Rostabouts were living in anything then.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:24 PM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Welcome from Arizona Chris!

I was born in Williston ND and lived in Tioga for my early childhood years.

Anyway, welcome!

Dale
2010 Nissan Frontier CC
Dale AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 05:21 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Hola from New Mexico, Chris in ND. Sounds like you will indeed be living in luxury. We never stopped in Jamestown, but did drive by on the interstate a couple of times. I always liked reading Louis L'Amour books, I believe he was from there. We got to enjoy camping in a few places in ND as my son lived in Minot for about 7 years. We enjoyed our summer visits to see him & his family.

We started towing our 2005 16' Scamp Side Dinette with a 2003 Ford Ranger, but moved up to a Ford F-150 in 2009. We have really enjoyed our Scamp. Only complaint is the narrow rear bed. But with yours, you will not have that problem. Congrats! on your new egg.

Our Scamp with our sons 5er just short of Watford City; just north of T. Roosevelt Nat'l Park.

Ford F-150 & Scamp at City of Rocks State Park ~ New Mexico

What we found in North Dakota.

We enjoyed the Scandinavian Heritage Center and Park in Minot; it was neat to see. As well as the Hjemkomst Center in the Fargo area, a neat "Viking Museum" in Moorehead, MN. Hjemkomst Center with a Stave Church and a Viking Ship made in America.

Looks like you guys are really getting flooding this year. Hope all goes well for you.
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/25096276.cfm
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:31 PM   #15

Name: Nick
Trailer: OutdoorsRV
Texas
Welcome Chris. You've got the egg I'm considering. Will look forward to following you and reading reports as you travel. I still need to actually see one before considering buying but it seems right (now) that I go with th 5er since I'll be full timing. I have a GMC Sierra 1500 and don't think it'll even blink pulling it.

What was your production time? I'm an e-mail guy and apparently Scamp isn't since my e-mails go unanswered. Guess I'll need to give them a call again.

Enjoy.
Rvicsvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:15 PM   #16

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Williston

What years were you in Williston? We lived there from 1973 to 1984. Our son graduated from Williston High School and went one year of college there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale AZ View Post
Welcome from Arizona Chris!

I was born in Williston ND and lived in Tioga for my early childhood years.

Anyway, welcome!

Dale
Marvin M. is offline   Reply With Quote