Hi from MI - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2011, 04:39 AM   #1

Name: Stacey
Trailer: 1994 16' Scamp
Michigan
Hi from MI

Hi I'm Stacey and I am the proud new owner of a '94 16' Scamp. My husband is a workaholic, so I had this wild idea that I would take the kids on road-trips next summer "all by myself".

So far we've washed and waxed the outside of the Scamp, and cleaned inside. Hopefully I can get a fresh coat of paint on the black frame and some new curtains made this week.

Thank you for this wonderful resource! Looking through all of the how-tos and tips has been VERY helpful!

Stacey
stacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:41 AM   #2

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Always nice to see another Michigander here. NOT a "Michigoose." Or are you?
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:24 PM   #3

Michigan
Nope, not me...

(why are we geese, anyhow?)
Old 10-10-2011, 05:45 PM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Hi from another Michigander. Welcome to the forum. Michigan has so many beautiful places to camp. We never tire of our great state. We're doing our last hurrah next weekend before we put our egg away for the winter :-(

I know you and your children will enjoy Scamping. We miss saying that. We had a 13' Scamp, but gave it to my brother-in-law to enjoy when we bought our Casita last year.
Marsha D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:57 PM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Go Stacey! You can do it! Traveling and camping can be good positive experiences for kids. They'll build fond memories. Too bad about their dad missing out, but you can only control what you do.

Are you planning to stay close to home or will you see the nation?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:45 AM   #6

Michigan
Wow Marsha, your brother-in-law is really lucky!

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Mike! Everyone I've talked to thinks I'm crazy. To start with, I'll probably stay close to home. Eventually I'd like to take the kids all over, though.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:21 PM   #7

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Stacey, I'm in Michigan, and I also camp alone. Hubby does not have any interest in camping, and I adore it! You can do it, you are not crazy. I've already got one girlfriend hooked (and the proud owner of a Scamp herself). And another gf at work is currently beginning to shop too! Did you consider that people who think you are crazy might actually be secretly jealous ?
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:38 PM   #8

Oklahoma
Maybe a joint camping expedition for all you gals?

Camping traditionally may be thought of as "roughing it," since it has its roots in the backpacking/tenting, out-in-the-boonies experience. So most people imagine that a guy has to be there to do all the "guy things" to make it comfy for the gal and to keep them safe from the wild animals.

But with today's well-equipped RVs and good campgrounds, it isn't necessary to have a guy along to split wood, build a shelter of boughs, carry water, fend off wolves, and all that stuff. So the only thing you miss in not having the guy along is... well, the companionship. Or maybe a perception of safety.

About safety... I feel safer in a campground than I do downtown. With all the other campers around, who's going to try anything? Campers are mostly a very good bunch of folks. One can always carry a stout walking stick and a can of pepper spray if it makes one feel better, though.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:07 AM   #9

Michigan
Well, it's either jealousy or just plain interesting to watch a train wreck! We'll see - we're going on our "maiden voyage" this weekend for 1 night. My plan is to rope in the children to help with everything...everyone's very excited
Old 10-12-2011, 04:36 PM   #10

Name: Kristy
Trailer: Shopping
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacey View Post
Well, it's either jealousy or just plain interesting to watch a train wreck! We'll see - we're going on our "maiden voyage" this weekend for 1 night. My plan is to rope in the children to help with everything...everyone's very excited
you can do it! I am hunting down my own first FB trailer now for this exact reason, something small enough that I can take the kids out on my own while mister works 7 days a week........ i plan on using duct tape on the children
kristykru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:23 PM   #11

Name: Edward
Trailer: 83 Burro
Michigan
Stacey--another fellow Michigander here.......my wife and I have been camping for 36 years and love it more today than when we were kids in our first canvas tent! We took our kids a lot and now at 29 and 32 years old, they speak fondly of our days and nights camping up and down the east coast. Your kids will love you for it and when your hubby slows down, so will he. Good luck; we would love to hear how your first night out goes.
Edward83burro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:04 PM   #12

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Stacey, You can try a 'dry run' at setting it all up in the driveway. If the park will let you take a look at a few sites before setting up, you can pick a 'pull through' one (so no issue with backing up). I try to find a site without anyone parked next to me so I can have some extra manouvering room (and less audience for my parking techniques)
And, yes, we'll have to set up a Michigan NOG for next year! I have no weekends left in October to camp, and November is my cutoff point. I am a 3-season camper (spring, summer, fall).
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:00 PM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Stacey, you can do it and your kids will love you for it! Make memories!!!! (and take some pictures along the way)
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:41 AM   #14

Michigan
Well, we're back! Everyone had a great time (despite the rain and cold temps) - and my husband came too

I think next time I'll try to find a campground with pull-through spots. Other than that, everything was great! Can't wait to go again...but we'll have to wait for some warmer weather.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:01 AM   #15

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Glad you enjoyed your first trip. If husband cant go on the next trip dont worry about it you will be fine! I often camp with a group of 6-7 trailers all towed by women who have logged a lot of miles on their own and I cant think of any problems any of them have ever had as a result. If you find yourself in a situation that you need a bit more strength to correct/fix something and your on your own I have found there is always someone close by in the campgroup willing to help you.

Re the need for pull-through - just keep trying :-) Hint put your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel and move it in the direction you want the trailer to go and do it slowly.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:47 PM   #16

Trailer: Trillium
Registry
Way to go, Stacy! Bet hubby enjoyed himself too.

I am a single senior and bought my first FG-egg 1998, a 13' Trillium after years of camping with a tent, alone. Now I take it to Florida for a month every winter.

I know your kids are going to love camping with the little camper, and the memories they will make are priceless.

Be sure to take your camera wherever you go. Any pics from your first wkd?
Noreen Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:05 AM   #17

Trailer: 24 ft 5th Wheel Shadow Cruiser
Another Michigan camper here,,,my wife & i been camping for over 52 years,,had many different kinds of rigs,,settled on a part fiber glass 5th wheel...acouple of our favorite parks are Seny Twsp. Park in the U.P. and Lyons Landing on Flecthers Pond in Hillman,,,many others also Ron & Glenda
Ron Humerickhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:58 PM   #18

Oklahoma
Ron, I've never been to those places so can you describe them and what you like about them? Seney Twp park, is that right in Seney? I get back to Michigan almost every summer and it's nice to hear about new spots to explore.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:07 PM   #19

Trailer: 24 ft 5th Wheel Shadow Cruiser
Mike they both have webb-sites just Google them..Seney Twsp park is cheap for Srs.& right on the Fox River,,Trout just waiting to jump in the pan..also Seney Wildlife area is close by..
Lyons Park is clean and fair priced.right on Flecthers Pond...
Ron Humerickhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:48 AM   #20

Michigan
Thanks for the recommendations! We're hoping to make it up by Petosky in the spring, and if all goes well then maybe the U.P. later in the summer.

Since we are camping with little ones (my youngest is 2) it was a good thing that our first trip was rainy. We had a campsite that backed up to a beautiful river with a gorgeous view - but next time I will ask for something farther away from the water for safety's sake.

Sorry Noreen...can you believe I forgot the camera? I think I might need to keep a disposable one in the car for next summer's trips!