Hi, From Mi. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2017, 07:03 PM   #21

Name: jeff
Trailer: cloud
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by groys02 View Post
For old decals, I've used an electric heat-gun on medium heat to slowly warm up the vinyl until it's uncomfortably hot to my fingers... then get an edge to lift enough to start peeling... then gently pull, while keeping the heat gun on the area ahead of where I'm peeling, and pointing away from where I'm peeling, so as not to clear melt the vinyl while I'm pulling on it.

Works pretty good, unless the vinyl has scratches through it---then it tears, of course, each time you hit a scratch.

The glue that remains I scrub with a terry-cloth rag wetted with mineral spirits. Sometimes a slow process, but generally works well. [wear stout rubber gloves, or the mineral spirits will fairly quickly soften/destroy lightweight ones]

Your results may vary, as they say...........
Hmmm, hadn't thought of that Good idea. Thanks I'll give it a try.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:09 PM   #22

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
3M makes a vinyl eraser.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 07:36 PM   #23

Michigan
Finished The floor Friday and decided to work on the body work before setting it on the frame. The front and rear seams didn't really line up well so I cut the seam ridge out and glassed them in. Was going to do the top to, but after getting the chrome strip off things didn't look so bad. Decided i'll just reuse it and leave the ridge on top. Did some sanding where I could reach then lowered it down to the floor and took the chains off. Got the ceiling vent off and doing some sanding on the top.
Looks good just sitting on the floor. Makes me think about getting some air shocks on it......Just pull into my spot and set it down. I'll have a walk out no steps camper..Ha, Ha
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170128_094859737.jpg   PART_1485823520616_IMG_20170128_094843832.jpg  

PART_1485823653044_IMG_20170130_085150378.jpg   IMG_20170130_133316953.jpg  

Old 02-05-2017, 06:20 AM   #24

Michigan
Well today is the big day. Going to get the egg painted with a 1 stage auto paint, a cream color. Got the body work done and primed, just got to rub it out some and paint. Reinforced the door hinge area with some gassed in and over wood smoothed out with some bondo. Had to cut a heavy half of inch off the top of the door to get it to push up and fit right.
I must say, I respect anyone doing such a project outside, or short of time.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170131_135101113.jpg   IMG_20170202_101627849.jpg  

PART_1486255388804_IMG_20170204_140344585.jpg   IMG_20170204_140425196.jpg  

Old 02-05-2017, 05:57 PM   #25

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Bondo? I wonder how that will work. Not sure if I've heard of anyone using Bondo on an egg. Interesting. As long as it does bond well, I guess it should do ok.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 09:40 PM   #26

Name: Gary
Trailer: UHaul CT13
Iowa
I've been using "bondo" on mine, as the final smoothing over repairs made with fiberglass resin n matte n cloth. Strength built with the fiberglass, smoothing with conventional auto-body materials. No problems to-date.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:29 PM   #27

Name: Jerry
Trailer: Casita
Missouri
Hi Jeff... just read down thru your tread of your repairs.. magnificent work your doing... Looks like you have found a way to get thru another butt kicking winter in the winter wonder land. I painted a bunch of boats and found the best sanding on the compound surfaces was a air driven DA sander with a thick pad.. by the time your done with this one you'll be good.. LOL.. I'll keep it short as you need to stay busy ... see you in the woods. Near Cadillac in May.
Jerry
USN Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 06:53 PM   #28

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by USN Jerry View Post
Hi Jeff... just read down thru your tread of your repairs.. magnificent work your doing... Looks like you have found a way to get thru another butt kicking winter in the winter wonder land. I painted a bunch of boats and found the best sanding on the compound surfaces was a air driven DA sander with a thick pad.. by the time your done with this one you'll be good.. LOL.. I'll keep it short as you need to stay busy ... see you in the woods. Near Cadillac in May.
Jerry
Hi Jerry,
Yes I'm enjoying getting to work inside and staying warm. Worked outside all my life and some of those days were brutal cold. At least the last couple years have been more moderate. I seem to be ok at fixing things, but my typing is more a one finger type thing. And this computer seems to want to start typing words somewhere else so I have to keep going back and fixing things. Then my post will disappear and I have to start over. My last post I had to start three times before I got it done..it got a lot shorter. Probobly good I don't have a hammer in the house. Kindof takes the fun out.
Did finally finish the last coat of paint today. Tomorrow I can start putting the shell back on the frame. No, I don't have a DA sander I went out and bought a electric 6 inch obital sander that seemed to work ok. The thicker pad you mentioned sounds interesting tho. My body project turned out well and I like it. I don't think i'll be fixing any corvettes soon tho.
I have a GP Medium army tent and a bunch of us would always go camping in the woods for 2 weeks every year up by Travis City. The gang is mostly gone these days. Still like to head north to camp every year tho. Kindof at a dry spell tho. One year ago they had to screw my shoulder back together and couldn't go. Just now finally getting that walked off. Headed up last fall for some camping and decided I was tired of my popup and took a old beatup camper I got. Got up by Big Rapids on 131 and tore out the transmission. Only about twenty miles to go too. Had to have the whole mess hauled back home and the truck fixed. That was a small fortune. So no camping then either. Decided to get a lighter camper and always liked the fiberglass things, so that's how I got started on this one. Like to maybe go to a rally and check things out too, but hard to say when i'll be ready just yet.
What do you do in may..Mushrooms..turkey..just enjoying spring? Might be done by then.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170206_171137474.jpg   IMG_20170205_175650153.jpg  

IMG_20170206_164752146.jpg   IMG_20170206_164834625_HDR.jpg  

Old 02-06-2017, 08:15 PM   #29

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Nice job and paint color! It is amazing to see you do this. Looks fantastic.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 11:57 PM   #30

Missouri
Hi JEFF...
so your not going with the Camo paint job after all?? ..
you can put the Black Diagonal strips on the back with the sign; "Stay Back 100 feet'" .. LOL..
You know I'm kidding right. ??
I like Yellow on Jeeps .. amazingly I worked at construction down in Puerto Rico for a few years and was responsible for all the "Yellow" equipment on site.. They only break down in the rain. and where the puddles form.

You are doing a good job typing if only with the Hunt and peck methods .. I actually use a modified version of that.. I still hunt and peck but use all the fingers.. then go back and catch all the mistakes.. thank goodness for spell check ..

In may I must attend Grand daughters Wedding.(grand Ledge area.. so far the planned route , in MI is thru Kazoo, to GR via 131then over to the wedding in Grand Ledge then over in the Thumb and up along that coast to the Big Mac. then back down to Cadillac and then to GR.
if we get near your place I'll stop by and inspect the welds. LOL will you be finished by spring?
By the way.. I have a set of good cushions for a Casita 17 you can have for the project. if your at all interested I can picture them for you and give dimensions. Got those and a DOOR I picked up in Charlevoix at a secret RV Junk yard. (he stopped advertising his place a few years back but was happy to sell me his door. had about 300 5th wheels and trailers mostly wrecked. I had a old motor home with the worn out hinges so snagged that door last time I was in the state. .. well time to hit the sack .. stay busy.. that way you can't see what's sneaking up on you..
Chow. Jerry,
Old 02-07-2017, 05:35 AM   #31

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by USN Jerry View Post
Hi JEFF...
so your not going with the Camo paint job after all?? ..
you can put the Black Diagonal strips on the back with the sign; "Stay Back 100 feet'" .. LOL..
You know I'm kidding right. ??
I like Yellow on Jeeps .. amazingly I worked at construction down in Puerto Rico for a few years and was responsible for all the "Yellow" equipment on site.. They only break down in the rain. and where the puddles form.

You are doing a good job typing if only with the Hunt and peck methods .. I actually use a modified version of that.. I still hunt and peck but use all the fingers.. then go back and catch all the mistakes.. thank goodness for spell check ..

In may I must attend Grand daughters Wedding.(grand Ledge area.. so far the planned route , in MI is thru Kazoo, to GR via 131then over to the wedding in Grand Ledge then over in the Thumb and up along that coast to the Big Mac. then back down to Cadillac and then to GR.
if we get near your place I'll stop by and inspect the welds. LOL will you be finished by spring?
By the way.. I have a set of good cushions for a Casita 17 you can have for the project. if your at all interested I can picture them for you and give dimensions. Got those and a DOOR I picked up in Charlevoix at a secret RV Junk yard. (he stopped advertising his place a few years back but was happy to sell me his door. had about 300 5th wheels and trailers mostly wrecked. I had a old motor home with the worn out hinges so snagged that door last time I was in the state. .. well time to hit the sack .. stay busy.. that way you can't see what's sneaking up on you..
Chow. Jerry,
Ha HA thought about camo. Stayed away from custom mix colors and ended up with the stock color auto color I got. We we're in Puerto Rica a couple years ago. Saw one guy driving threw town with two horses sideways in the back of pickup, short side rails and no tailgate. Flew over to vequoi ( forget spelling), for a bit and saw the lagoon with the glowing water. I forgot I'll be at a graduation also sometime about then in Dallas( very close to denton) Guess I better get a move on before someone trys to sneakup on me
Old 02-07-2017, 11:38 PM   #32

Missouri
.. Vieques is a interesting place. PR is the land of enchantment . I sat thru 3 different hurricanes down there on the south shore near the Phosphorescent bay, ,, the last frontier Collabra was still allowing homesteading in the mid nighties. ok we'll see you down the road.. yup stay busy .
Jerry
Old 05-14-2017, 12:46 PM   #33

Michigan
Well i finally pulled it out of the shop on the 1st. Been raining and i'm back to work, so its on the back burner for now and covered inside and out in construction dust. Was just going to touch up the paint and clean it up some. Turned into more of a project than i planned. Put lots of time into it in the four months.
Outside has new tires/rims and tires, new axle with brakes, new subfloor, battery/tool boxes on the front, new frame, new jack, body work and new paint, new fantastic fan, windows removed and rebuilt and resealed, new plexaglass front and rear, new decals.
Inside was rubbed out and inside the cubbies and closet painted, new doors and seat bench wood all new, all new wires, stove hood and cabinet sandblasted and painted, stove bebuilt, vinyl laminate flooring, moved the table back some for better access. (yellow in picture is just in the picture).
Still have to get some new foam and we are going with the material in the middle of the one picture. Then curtains and headlinner. Thinking of 3inches of medium or high density foam and 1inch of memory foam for 4inches total.
With the hours into it..Much more than anticipated..I could have bought a new one..yikes.
I'm retired but to stay busy and extra money i work for a farmer in the summer. Included a picture of the T.V. i'm driving at the moment. Gets around good, but always alot of traffic behind me.
Attached Thumbnails
PART_1494546414180_IMG_20170510_164602027.jpg   thumbnail_IMG_20170511_190106404[1].jpg  

thumbnail_IMG_20170511_190124306[1].jpg   thumbnail_IMG_20170511_190136310[1].jpg  

thumbnail_IMG_20170511_190154227[1].jpg   thumbnail_PART_1494546461007_IMG_20170511_185920247[1].jpg  

thumbnail_PART_1494546500216_IMG_20170511_190007570[1].jpg   thumbnail_PART_1494546562092_IMG_20170511_190031562[1].jpg  

thumbnail_PART_1494546611037_IMG_20170511_185949490[1].jpg   thumbnail_PART_1494546821824_IMG_20170511_190020993[1].jpg