Hi from San Francisco - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-30-2018, 10:47 AM   #1

Name: Rafael
Trailer: Currently Shopping
CA
Hi from San Francisco

Hi this is Rafa1215. One day I want to get a 16' Casita Spirit Deluxe when I retire. That will be in 15 years from now. Told my wife that is what we are going to do. She seems skeptical, but we'll see. We are going to an RV show in Sacramento in September and I hope they have Casita's there or something of the like. I'd like our Casita to have solar on the roof and extra batteries. We like watching movies before we go to bed and I think the extra battery would help. We have family across the US and would like to tow the Casita while getting around. Anyways, hello again.
rafa1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 03:30 PM   #2
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Welcome Rafael! I'm sure you find the camper of your dreams. Sometimes it just takes awhile. Just curious where in SF do you live? Many many years ago when I was a child we lived on Dorland St near Mission Dolores. Its been a long time since I have been back to CA since my parents died but one day I'm sure I will! Have fun with your search!
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 04:42 PM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Might want to attend one of the many rv rallies
It is a good one to check out some other makes/sizes etc... there is a lust on this forum of all of the rallies
We used to attend the one at ll casitas ( near Ventura calif when we lived in Southern California
And welcome
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:39 PM   #4

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Most fiberglass rvs are sold factory direct, so you aren't likely to see them at RV shows

You may see Happier Campers, Parkliners, Bigfoots, and Nest by Airstream at rv shows.

Rallies are different than RV shows, and that's where to see fiberglass trailers. Many manufacturers will also arrange a local owner to show you theirs. Casita will.

In many browsers, a list of Rallies is in the right hand column.

You are fortunate the lead time on new trailer orders is still well under your time horizon.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 09:52 PM   #5

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Scamp keeps a list of owners throughout the country and will put you in touch with someone near you so you can visit their RV. I imagine other companies do the same.

I wonder why you want to wait until retirement to get a camper of your dreams. You can still do a LOT of camping in 15 years, so why wait? Life is short. Do you camp now? If so, what is your preference, tenting, backpacking, etc.?

P.S. We live in Marin County
Attached Thumbnails
Doug's art and Scamp 027.jpg  
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 12:34 AM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
hello, San Francisco!

I'm a native of the bay area. born in Marin, lived in SF when I was in grade school throughout the 1960s, I ended up in Monterey Bay Area in the late 70s, and I've been here in Santa Cruz for the last 25 years.

I in fact have a 2008 Casita 16' SD, which I'm cleaning up for sale (there's already a list of folks who have first dibs)... So I'd be happy to answer any questions about them... We've used our Casita for a couple years, dozens of trips, probably logged 7000 miles, mostly towed behind a Tacoma 4x4.

We've upgraded to an Escape 21', with a Ford F250 as the tug.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 12:36 AM   #7

Mid Left Coast
Old 07-01-2018, 12:37 AM   #8

Mid Left Coast

these pics are all our Casita 16' Spirit Deluxe...
Old 07-01-2018, 12:42 AM   #9

Mid Left Coast
the major downsides we experienced with the 16 were...

1) bed not big enough for the two of us, and crawling over each other to get up in the middle of the night isn't fun.

2) grey water holding tank is too small for 2 folks for 4-5 days of dry camping. water tank is too small, too.

3) tiny absorption fridge has trouble staying cold in hot weather.

secondary issues were lack of storage space, weak air conditioning (but we almost never had power to use it), and generally tiny insides.
Old 07-01-2018, 12:46 AM   #10

Mid Left Coast
the casita 16 SD was awesome on my solo trips (my wife gets really bored at astronomy events)... I can stretch the grey tank by taking sponge baths. I'm taking the Escape 21 on one of these in a week, and its going to be a little bit ridiculously too big for just me.
Old 07-01-2018, 12:46 AM   #11

Mid Left Coast
Old 07-01-2018, 02:08 AM   #12

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBB View Post
Welcome Rafael! I'm sure you find the camper of your dreams. Sometimes it just takes awhile. Just curious where in SF do you live? Many many years ago when I was a child we lived on Dorland St near Mission Dolores. Its been a long time since I have been back to CA since my parents died but one day I'm sure I will! Have fun with your search!
Hi. I live by Monterey Blvd in the city. Born and raised in the city. Mission Dolores has changed so much. It's very crowded now on the weekends. Look at some google photos of the park and you will see what I mean
Old 07-01-2018, 02:10 AM   #13

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post
Might want to attend one of the many rv rallies
It is a good one to check out some other makes/sizes etc... there is a lust on this forum of all of the rallies
We used to attend the one at ll casitas ( near Ventura calif when we lived in Southern California
And welcome
Thanks. I don't get around Ventura much. I drove by there last year on our way to Disneyland. I'm hoping to see something up here in northern California.
Old 07-01-2018, 02:13 AM   #14

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
Most fiberglass rvs are sold factory direct, so you aren't likely to see them at RV shows

You may see Happier Campers, Parkliners, Bigfoots, and Nest by Airstream at rv shows.

Rallies are different than RV shows, and that's where to see fiberglass trailers. Many manufacturers will also arrange a local owner to show you theirs. Casita will.

In many browsers, a list of Rallies is in the right hand column.

You are fortunate the lead time on new trailer orders is still well under your time horizon.
Thanks. I will keep that in mind. I feel like I should put down a deposit and spend the next 15 years paying it off.
Old 07-01-2018, 02:17 AM   #15

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
Scamp keeps a list of owners throughout the country and will put you in touch with someone near you so you can visit their RV. I imagine other companies do the same.

I wonder why you want to wait until retirement to get a camper of your dreams. You can still do a LOT of camping in 15 years, so why wait? Life is short. Do you camp now? If so, what is your preference, tenting, backpacking, etc.?

P.S. We live in Marin County
I would love to get one now. It's just that first step that is the hardest to take. If I buy it I have no where to store it. I live in an apartment complex, so having it sit in my carport seems suspicious. I have been camping a lot as a kid. Have been going to Yosemite every year since the 70's. I usually stay in Housekeeping in Yosemite.
Old 07-01-2018, 12:10 PM   #16

Name: Karin & Don
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13Ft
Maine
S.F. resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafa1215 View Post
Hi. I live by Monterey Blvd in the city. Born and raised in the city. Mission Dolores has changed so much. It's very crowded now on the weekends. Look at some google photos of the park and you will see what I mean
where do you live? I grew up on Flood next to Sunnyside. I live in Maine now. It got so I couldn't handle the rules and expense of living in the city.
Kardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 12:14 PM   #17

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
the major downsides we experienced with the 16 were...

1) bed not big enough for the two of us, and crawling over each other to get up in the middle of the night isn't fun.

2) grey water holding tank is too small for 2 folks for 4-5 days of dry camping. water tank is too small, too.

3) tiny absorption fridge has trouble staying cold in hot weather.

secondary issues were lack of storage space, weak air conditioning (but we almost never had power to use it), and generally tiny insides.
Thanks for the pics and advice. I am 5'7" and my wife is 5'6." I've heard about the bed in a casita and would buy a memory foam for us right away. I would try to minimize the dry camping as much as possible and stay at RV parks or somewhere that had hook ups. I've watched people on youtube empty out the tanks and refill them. I think I can handle it, if not then I will pay a honey bucket guy to take care of it.
Old 07-01-2018, 12:22 PM   #18

Mid Left Coast
We are in our mid 60s, I'm 6'0 tall, my wife is 5'2 but we're both rather horizontally enhanced... the bed issue with the casita has more to do with getting up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, one of us has to crawl over the other.
Old 07-01-2018, 12:24 PM   #19

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kardon View Post
where do you live? I grew up on Flood next to Sunnyside. I live in Maine now. It got so I couldn't handle the rules and expense of living in the city.
I live by St. Finn Barr off of Monterey. You used to live right by me. I like flood avenue. So much has changed. Have you gone back to visit friends from the neighborhood? You are right about the prices. Homes by my house cost 1.5 mil and that's just the starting price. The old Safeway is still there. I'd like to visit Maine during the spring or summer one year. I've visited the snow in Tahoe and know it's not for me.
Old 07-01-2018, 12:28 PM   #20

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
We are in our mid 60s, I'm 6'0 tall, my wife is 5'2 but we're both rather horizontally enhanced... the bed issue with the casita has more to do with getting up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, one of us has to crawl over the other.
Yeah I hear ya. She would be on the outside and I would be on the inside. She uses the bathroom way more than me. I like the Spirit Deluxe so we can make the dinette turn into a bed.