Hi from Vince in BC - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-06-2015, 01:08 AM   #1

Name: Vince
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Hi from Vince in BC

Hello everybody, I have a 1974 Trillium which is being enjoyed by our small family (me, wife & 7 year old son). I bought it last summer after looking for several months. Other Trilliums were either in rough shape and/or overpriced, or snapped up quickly. This one seemed to be in decent shape. I figured it had good bones and any issues I could fix. The interior had been re-upholstered and a nice laminate floor had been installed, but it was in otherwise fairly original condition. It still had the original 3-way fridge (Dometic RM2193), 2-burner cooktop, and gas furnace (Coleman 9210A). I see that most Trilliums had the Duo-Therm furnace so maybe mine had the furnace dealer installed?

When I got the trailer home I started cleaning it and looking it over to see what needed attention. It turned out to need quite a bit. I knew it would need new tires but it also needed a new axle. The trailer lights didn't work properly, it turns out they were miswired. I ran all new AC wiring and wired in a power inverter with internal transfer switch. I noticed water getting inside after it rained. I started by installing a new ceiling vent. That helped but I soon realized the windows needed resealing too. I tackled that job over the winter. I managed to get the trailer in our garage which made it easier to work on it when I had spare time.

My wife is understandably very nervous about 40+ year old gas appliances. So for now the propane system remains unconnected. Before I use the fridge or furnace I want to get them professionally inspected and the propane system tested. And of course get a gas/CO detector. The fridge gets cold on 120V, and the furnace firebox is solid, so I'm optimistic they will work. As for the cooktop, I ended up removing it. It was pretty crusty, and we don't want to cook in trailer. Also, at some point somebody installed additional cabinets above the sink/cooktop. We're finding those quite useful but they were a bit close to the cooktop burners. I converted the cooktop chassis to a cutlery tray and added a custom cutting board to sit ontop.

More to come...but for now here's a picture from a recent trip on the Olympic Peninsula.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20150902_thmss.jpg  
VB_in_BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 09:29 AM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Vince, Very nice Trillium!

I am a bit dubious that your fridge is original. In older Trillium I believe that they installed the RM24 fridge. An RM2193 is a more recent fridge, I think. These people are still selling them:
Dometic Compact Refrigerators - on Sale Now - PPL Motor Homes
Though they could be used.

You Coleman furnace is likely stock. Trillium switched to Duo-Therm later.

Do you have a data sheet on the inside of your closet. That should list the appliances that were installed when it was sold.

Which brings me to my standard request. If your do have the data sheet in your closet, could you please post a picture of it. Then I will add your trailer to the Trillium serial number list:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post521762

It is due for another update.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 10:23 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Detectors

There is or should be no such thing as a gas/CO detector.
Propane gas is heavier than air and a detector should be mounted near the floor whereas CO is lighter than air and its detector should be mounted near the ceiling.

Welcome to FGRV. Can we expect you at our rally in June?

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...pam-71488.html

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 10:26 AM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Roger, they do exist:
Safe-T-Alert 35 Series Flush Mount Dual LP & Carbon Monoxide Alarm – White - MTI Industries 35-742-WT - Propane Detectors - Camping World
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 11:35 AM   #5

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
vince to have Propane checked out and re-hooked up:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VB_in_BC View Post
Hello everybody, I have a 1974 Trillium which is being enjoyed by our small family (me, wife & 7 year old son). I bought it last summer after looking for several months. Other Trilliums were either in rough shape and/or overpriced, or snapped up quickly. This one seemed to be in decent shape. I figured it had good bones and any issues I could fix. The interior had been re-upholstered and a nice laminate floor had been installed, but it was in otherwise fairly original condition. It still had the original 3-way fridge (Dometic RM2193), 2-burner cooktop, and gas furnace (Coleman 9210A). I see that most Trilliums had the Duo-Therm furnace so maybe mine had the furnace dealer installed?

When I got the trailer home I started cleaning it and looking it over to see what needed attention. It turned out to need quite a bit. I knew it would need new tires but it also needed a new axle. The trailer lights didn't work properly, it turns out they were miswired. I ran all new AC wiring and wired in a power inverter with internal transfer switch. I noticed water getting inside after it rained. I started by installing a new ceiling vent. That helped but I soon realized the windows needed resealing too. I tackled that job over the winter. I managed to get the trailer in our garage which made it easier to work on it when I had spare time.

My wife is understandably very nervous about 40+ year old gas appliances. So for now the propane system remains unconnected. Before I use the fridge or furnace I want to get them professionally inspected and the propane system tested. And of course get a gas/CO detector. The fridge gets cold on 120V, and the furnace firebox is solid, so I'm optimistic they will work. As for the cooktop, I ended up removing it. It was pretty crusty, and we don't want to cook in trailer. Also, at some point somebody installed additional cabinets above the sink/cooktop. We're finding those quite useful but they were a bit close to the cooktop burners. I converted the cooktop chassis to a cutlery tray and added a custom cutting board to sit ontop.

More to come...but for now here's a picture from a recent trip on the Olympic Peninsula.
: get in touch with Mel at RV Services on Lougheed Hwy in Pitt Meadows he is on north side of Lougheed between the Pitt River Bridge and Harris so you have to go left right after you come off the Pitt River bridge to Harris turn right to lougheed and again right onto Lougheed, he is the part of the building on the east end where the big tent is. He is licensed propane person can re-hook and make sure all propane is in good working order for u. His prices are really reasonable but most charge $150 to Certify propane just to let u know but will make sure no leaks.
Has a lot of RV knowledge to boot.
He is about 1/2 way between in the same yard as the guy who has Granite and bricks etc. RV SERVICE 604-460-2819, 18601 Lougheed Hwy. Pitt Meadows. BC V3Y 2J6
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 11:42 AM   #6

British Columbia
You are quite right David, I have the RM24, not the RM2193. I got my part numbers mixed up. When I get a chance I'll put up a photo of my serial number label. Thanks for the links!
Old 11-06-2015, 12:26 PM   #7

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
: get in touch with Mel at RV Services on Lougheed Hwy in Pitt Meadows he is on north side of Lougheed between the Pitt River Bridge and Harris so you have to go left right after you come off the Pitt River bridge to Harris turn right to lougheed and again right onto Lougheed, he is the part of the building on the east end where the big tent is. He is licensed propane person can re-hook and make sure all propane is in good working order for u. His prices are really reasonable but most charge $150 to Certify propane just to let u know but will make sure no leaks.
Has a lot of RV knowledge to boot.
He is about 1/2 way between in the same yard as the guy who has Granite and bricks etc. RV SERVICE 604-460-2819, 18601 Lougheed Hwy. Pitt Meadows. BC V3Y 2J6
Thanks, I may look him up when I'm ready to get the system reconnected. I was also considering using Travco in Burnaby. They've been quite helpful for other things and I know they can do propane inspections.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:05 PM   #8

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Travco

Quote:
Originally Posted by VB_in_BC View Post
Thanks, I may look him up when I'm ready to get the system reconnected. I was also considering using Travco in Burnaby. They've been quite helpful for other things and I know they can do propane inspections.
: also good company to deal with.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 10:31 PM   #9

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Vince Welcome to the forum! You have made the same discovery most of us have when purchasing an "olde but gooddie " and that is there is a lot of elbow grease required to bring them up to par but a restored Trillium is a joy forever. Hope to met you at some of the gatherings in Washington or Oregon and check out your progress. Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vin