Hi. Getting a Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2015, 10:18 PM   #1

Name: Kathy-Ann
Trailer: Scamp
Massachusetts
Hi. Getting a Scamp

Hi. I am Kathy-Ann. My husband and I are buying a used 2011 Scamp 19ft, thanks to the advice of this RV community here. We bought it on Craig's List from a link on this site. We hope to enjoy our retirement in it. We will drive out to get it in the spring. Til then, I am reading and looking at pictures and dreaming.
Kathy-Ann Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 09:28 AM   #2

Name: Doug
Trailer: Scamp 16 ft.
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy-Ann Becker View Post
Hi. I am Kathy-Ann. My husband and I are buying a used 2011 Scamp 19ft, thanks to the advice of this RV community here. We bought it on Craig's List from a link on this site. We hope to enjoy our retirement in it. We will drive out to get it in the spring. Til then, I am reading and looking at pictures and dreaming.
Wow! That's wonderful Katy! We have a 16 ft. Scamp and just love it. We have done tons to it to make it ours too! You will love it. Now or soon, you must name it. We had a ski boat for 14 years, named Free Spirit. Our Scamp is Free Spirit II.
Flyboyscamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 10:25 AM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
...My husband and I are buying a used 2011 Scamp 19ft, thanks to the advice of this RV community here. We bought it on Craig's List from a link on this site. ... We will drive out to get it in the spring...

I see red flags.. hope you are not getting scammed.

https://www.craigslist.org/about/scams

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post560718
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 03:55 AM   #4

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Thanks for your concern. The sellers are fine people.
Old 11-29-2015, 04:05 AM   #5

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboyscamp View Post
Wow! That's wonderful Katy! We have a 16 ft. Scamp and just love it. We have done tons to it to make it ours too! You will love it. Now or soon, you must name it. We had a ski boat for 14 years, named Free Spirit. Our Scamp is Free Spirit II.
We will be doing mostly dry field camping at bluegrass festivals in New England. We will have to adapt for fresh water refilling and black water rationing. Any advice appreciated. Solar panels come with the camper we bought.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:50 AM   #6

North Carolina
Quote:
Thanks for your concern. The sellers are fine people.
Good to hear! And thanks for understanding my concern.

Don't know how you are going to wait until spring. But then again I waited almost six months for mine so it is possible to do. In fact if you add up the waiting time, the time getting to know the trailer and all it's systems, and customizing to my liking, it will be close to a year total invested in getting the exact camper I want.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:52 AM   #7

Massachusetts
Quote:
Good to hear! And thanks for understanding my concern.

Don't know how you are going to wait until spring. But then again I waited almost six months for mine so it is possible to do. In fact if you add up the waiting time, the time getting to know the trailer and all it's systems, and customizing to my liking, it will be close to a year total invested in getting the exact camper I want.
Does it take a while to get to know the trailer's systems?

Because we live in New England, and because the trailer we have put the deposit on is garaged in a more temperate place, it seems wise to let it winter covered.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:22 PM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
A dang sight less than a new tablet, cell phone, or a new car!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 01:51 PM   #9

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Quote:

Because we live in New England, and because the trailer we have put the deposit on is garaged in a more temperate place, it seems wise to let it winter covered.
Maybe you need a little winter vaca to visit your Scamp and do a short campout somewhere warm!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 02:01 PM   #10

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
If you know basic trailer systems.
If you seller gives you a complete training session & everything is working from the getgo
and
If nothing has been changed in a inclined helical spiral manner, it shouldn't take long at all.

However, there are still some owners that haven't figured out where the fuse panel is after 2 years of use.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 02:50 PM   #11

North Carolina
Quote:
A good reading of the manuals and a day or two spent trying things out will supply almost all the knowledge you need to go camping, and if you have experience with other RVs it will be even easier. And you can go to the Scamp site and find the manuals and watch the videos before purchase. I had no concerns going over 1300 miles to pick up my Scamp, and using it for lodging for a week on the return trip. (Actually I did have some concern, but good planning meant I had no problems).

However I find that after two months of ownership I am still learning little things here and there. Its nothing you need to know to enjoy the camper in most cases, but more like how things are built, wired, piped, etc. And that is largely because I am doing a few mods and working out a few problems.

Quote:
Being retired, my perspective is different.. I would go south right away.
Old 11-29-2015, 03:37 PM   #12

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
Maybe you need a little winter vaca to visit your Scamp and do a short campout somewhere warm!
I'm looking at all the pics of everyone else camping in their Scamps. It is kind of like having a romance, gazing at images of the beloved....Scamp.
Old 11-29-2015, 04:15 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Or in the case of a Walmart parking lot - a one night stand.
Old 11-29-2015, 04:38 PM   #14

Massachusetts
Quote:
A good reading of the manuals and a day or two spent trying things out will supply almost all the knowledge you need to go camping, and if you have experience with other RVs it will be even easier. And you can go to the Scamp site and find the manuals and watch the videos before purchase. I had no concerns going over 1300 miles to pick up my Scamp, and using it for lodging for a week on the return trip. (Actually I did have some concern, but good planning meant I had no problems).

However I find that after two months of ownership I am still learning little things here and there. Its nothing you need to know to enjoy the camper in most cases, but more like how things are built, wired, piped, etc. And that is largely because I am doing a few mods and working out a few problems.

Being retired, my perspective is different.. I would go south right away.
New Englanders love winter....for a while, don't they?
Old 12-18-2015, 09:37 PM   #15

Name: Wendy
Trailer: 2011 Casita SD 17’
California
FlyBoy. What mods have you done? I'm shopping for a 13' and can't wait to make it my own.
SactoWendy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp