Old 09-15-2011, 05:11 PM   #29

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Listen to Lizbeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
Yeah I read it all. Personally I don't think you can have all that and a 1300lb trailer unless possibly you start with a Compact type brand of trailer. I'm not sure it's possible then.

The mythical 900 lb 13 fter really doesn't exist except as an older model stripped shell. All those things you want add up real fast, plus you have to have a good battery and propane tank to run them which adds a minimum of 100 more lbs.

I'm not trying to stomp on your dreams or enthusiasm but trying to think in the real world. I'm going to advise you as I advise everyone who comes here with the dream of finding a really light trailer to tow with a vehicle they shouldn't tow with.

Get a real tow vehicle. It sounds like you are very suited to the RV life style and would truely enjoy it so do it safely! It sounds like you have quite a few cars.. whats one more?
She's giving you good advice. Stay safe Dylan!
Phil

Old 09-15-2011, 10:45 PM   #30

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
My 1979 B1300 Boler is not on the list..it weighed 2200 lbs. I'm not sure why it weighs so much. It does have a 3 way fridge, window AC, heater, bamboo flooring, brakes, propane tank and battery. I wasn't even carrying any cast iron cookware!

I don't trust those Burro weights because they weren't weighed by Frederick.
All Three of those Burro weights are suspect? Too bad, I'd like good comparisons to other eggs.

Weight adds up fast when modifying things if your not really diligent. Taking it off is way harder than adding it on! I weighed anything I took off or added onto the Miata when doing the modifications to it. Managed to loose like 75lbs while improving the car. Lighter weight alloy and high performance components rather than the mild steel, iron mass produced bit's Mazda put on the car to make more profit. That and taking things off the car I don't need. Who needs a trunk liner!

I don't know your Boler, but I could imagine if you do a custom interior and not be super careful about design and materials you could add on a whole lot of weight real easy. Wood and fiberboard are not necessarily light.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:04 PM   #31

Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Registry
No just the two 13s. They are printed in purple on the original list so were not weighed by Fred.

I was not overly weight conscious when I did the Boler. We always tow with trucks or SUVs so it isn't really an issue. It was probably my "Princess and the Pea" bed that added the most weight. And my collection of ball gowns.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:26 PM   #32

British Columbia
Well, those are the two burros that matter to me. Oh well, I'll take those numbers with a grain of salt.

Average household items can be pretty heavy too. And those ball gowns a collection of those might weigh more than my car!
Old 09-16-2011, 06:39 PM   #33

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Frankly the only weight that really matters, is the full-loaded for towing weight of your particular trailer and the weight your particular tug can safely tow according to the tug manufacturers guidelines. Everything else is speculative. YMMV
Old 09-16-2011, 07:44 PM   #34

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
One more link: HowStuffWorks "How bad is it if I tow more than my truck's towing capacity?"
Old 09-17-2011, 12:16 PM   #35

Name: Jack
Trailer: Escape 21
Arizona
About 1980 we bought a 13' scamp and towed it all over the west from SFO, even to OK City. We towed with a hot rod model A Ford with later engine and brakes, a 1981 VW Rabbit convertible (gas engine) and a stock '38 Ford. The trailer had brakes and well loaded, I thought it probably weighted about 1500#. With four of us traveling in this rig it worked very well. I spent a month in it in LA (by myself) so that I didn't have to stay at the hotel near LAX while in training. That was the most enjoyable training session I had at LA. Reference your concern about staying in a small trailer, Nancy the small dog and I spent 7 weeks in our 19 this summer and we're ready for next summer.
Jack of Tucson
Old 09-17-2011, 06:24 PM   #36

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Allen View Post
About 1980 we bought a 13' scamp and towed it all over the west from SFO, even to OK City. We towed with a hot rod model A Ford with later engine and brakes, a 1981 VW Rabbit convertible (gas engine) and a stock '38 Ford. The trailer had brakes and well loaded, I thought it probably weighted about 1500#. With four of us traveling in this rig it worked very well. I spent a month in it in LA (by myself) so that I didn't have to stay at the hotel near LAX while in training. That was the most enjoyable training session I had at LA. Reference your concern about staying in a small trailer, Nancy the small dog and I spent 7 weeks in our 19 this summer and we're ready for next summer.
Jack of Tucson
If a 81 Rabbit can tow a simple 13' egg, my car can. That's not sayin' it's ideal, but that it can in theory be done. Should be trying out an '83 Burro tomorrow. May even be pulling it 250 miles home. The seller is an experienced tower and she said she'd let me test-tow it with her along to advise.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:25 PM   #37

British Columbia
Again, thanks for all the input folks, both the encouraging and discouraging.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:36 PM   #38

Name: Tyler
Trailer: 72 Cloud
Wisconsin
Registry
So....did you find the perfect camper yet? I am waiting to see pictures of that Miata pulling your new egg.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:37 PM   #39

British Columbia
Oh yeah, I need to update this topic! Check out my "Trailer:" on my profile, 2001 Scamp, great condition. Custom front dinette. Not perfect, but really really close for my needs. Nice enough I don't have to do much to it, not so new I feel guilty making drastic makeover plans. I do need to get a hot water heater and catalytic heater in ASAP. But first get to New Mexico, I'm packing up now, probably leave tomorrow AM. Got 6 days to make it to New Mexico.

This is my car before towing the scamp for the first time. I've raised the cars suspension about an inch and got a head that raises the ball another inch or so. It looks more level now. I'm a little embarrassed at how dirty the car is in that pic! Had a whole trip up to B.C. and then down past LA's worth of dirt on it!

Old 10-04-2011, 07:43 PM   #40

Name: Tyler
Trailer: 72 Cloud
Wisconsin
Registry
Thumbs up

Now that is the greatest tow vehicle I have seen yet. I don't think I have ever seen anyone pull a Scamp with a vehicle that was actually smaller then the camper itself. I love it. How does it tow? Great looking Scamp too. Hope it works out for you. Thanks for posting the picture.
Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanear View Post
Oh yeah, I need to update this topic! Check out my "Trailer:" on my profile, 2001 Scamp, great condition. Custom front dinette. Not perfect, but really really close for my needs. Nice enough I don't have to do much to it, not so new I feel guilty making drastic makeover plans. I do need to get a hot water heater and catalytic heater in ASAP. But first get to New Mexico, I'm packing up now, probably leave tomorrow AM. Got 6 days to make it to New Mexico.

This is my car before towing the scamp for the first time. I've raised the cars suspension about an inch and got a head that raises the ball another inch or so. It looks more level now. I'm a little embarrassed at how dirty the car is in that pic! Had a whole trip up to B.C. and then down past LA's worth of dirt on it!

Old 10-05-2011, 12:39 AM   #41

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyEd View Post
Now that is the greatest tow vehicle I have seen yet. I don't think I have ever seen anyone pull a Scamp with a vehicle that was actually smaller then the camper itself. I love it. How does it tow? Great looking Scamp too. Hope it works out for you. Thanks for posting the picture.
Tyler
Glad you like it! I can't tell you the attention it gets. I get a lot of thumbs up from guys and smiles from the ladies, not to mention several women have said, "That's so cute!" One leaning out the window of a truck to yell it. Got some appreciation from a lady in the passenger seat of a LARGE pickup pulling a newer, bigger (16, 17?) Casita.

Keep in mind it may be smaller than the trailer, but it's a lot denser. How does it tow? Hard for me to tell you with any perspective since I've never towed anything else. In 500 miles through LA streets and freeways, from heavy stop and go to doing 60 being passed at 80, to the curvy hilly stretches of the 1 coastal road from LA to the SF bay area it always felt under control and stable. My car has huge power compared to factory Miatas and getting it up to speed was never a problem, never had to floor it or even close. A few times I felt I needed to pass quickly went just fine. Stopping is something I was always anticipating as far ahead as possible and doing so slowly and very deliberately. The brakes on the car are massive compared to what Mazda put on the car so I have little fear they won't have enough power or that they will overheat, but I do really worry about what would happen if I stomped on the brakes in a panic, generally I don't panic thankfully, but if a deer or something jumped out of the brush or god forbid a person/driver did something stupid, all bets are off. The car can stop fast, but that trailer will certainly come around if I stopped the car with full power. So you just have to keep your eyes on what's ahead and your brain on the road. It's a bit tiring, I just don't feel comfortable spacing out at all ever. The ride on my car is not great, it's a sports car with much stiffer than stock springs and the ride is a bit worse towing, additional bumps coming through the hitch as well as the ones coming up from the tires/wheels. Really poor road surfaces are jarring, does not feel like it's good for my suspension. I slow to a crawl when I see rough pavement ahead (like construction). I can't quite recommend it really, it's far from an ideal tow vehicle, but it does seem to work. I'm sure my opinion will shift as I get more experience with it. I really don't want to tow in the rain with it, I don't enjoy stop and go traffic at all, don't plan to take it down anything but the smoothest dirt roads. But cruising the 1, curves and hills and all was fantastic! When it does work really well, it is really fun. The trip home was a real blast. But I can imagine sitting around for a day to sit out bad weather may dampen the fun. With a big truck I might just tow through the bad weather. Looks like we're facing rain this week, it rained here today and is raining hard tonight. So I probably will have it in the rain at some point, but unless it's on uncrowded easy going interstate, I'll be chilling somewhere, not towing. At least until I get a little more of a feel for it in the wet. I sure hope for dry roads tomorrow! It does not have brakes, I tried, but there was no practical way to get them delivered and installed in time. While I've never felt the need for them so far, I'll enjoy the peace of mind once I do get that new axle with brakes on there. And I haven't towed it all loaded up. I have the heavy stuff in the car (way too many tools, heavy camera gear, various small yet heavy items), but there will probably be an extra 150 or 200 lbs of gear in the trailer too. I will report back! I'll probably start a topic on the trip.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:14 AM   #42

Name: Kristiano
Trailer: Trillium
California
Registry
I am so interested on your thoughts after towing it around for a bit! The wife and I stumbled upon our 13' Trillium when we were looking into teardrops to tow behind our convertible Beetle. In full disclosure, we have a 2003 Tahoe to tow, but I would totally dig seeing your rig driving down the highway. I just just would't want to be the guy who had to stop in front of you.

Happy camping. That looks like a blast of a setup!

Closed Thread