Hi, I am.... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2012, 01:18 PM   #1

Name: jamie
Trailer: apeco small world
Indiana
Hi, I am....

Jamie. I just purchased what i think to be a real gem!! Sadly, i can find very little information on my trailer. I have an Apeco - Small World (the model can still be read where the long removed stickers left their mark) It is completely gutted and in need of some TLC. Does anyone know anything about my find?
i have attached the 2 pics i have found online and 4 outside pics of my baby.
Attached Thumbnails
front.jpg   back.jpg  

SIDE1.jpg   SIDE2.jpg  

press photo.jpg   wild world.jpg  

JamieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:37 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
That is very cool! I hope you can successfully refurb it.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:42 PM   #3

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
How long is your trailer? Looks like a toy hauler, but smaller.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:55 PM   #4

Indiana
I think the trailer body is about 16' with the tounge, it is a lil over 20'. In the pic above, it has a fold down door on the back, meant to be a patio, but could be done up as a toy hauler.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:56 PM   #5
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Hi, Jamie. Welcome! Interesting trailer you have there... It's seems it's been mentioned here before, but only briefly. I found a site online with some history of the Apeco company (which is redundant, since it stands for American Photocopy Equipment Company). Apeco-Comforce Corporation

Also found a classified ad in Watertown NY "Daily Times," circa Sept.1975:
"APECO TRAVEL TRAILERS at close out prices on 1975 models..." so that establishes an era for them... And, Bolerama also once had a link to something posted from the 1972 volume of Popular Mechanics.

Hopefully somebody who knows more about it will see this and post.

Thanks for the pics. Unusual lines!!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:13 PM   #6

Indiana
Thank you Mary, i did read up on the Apeco Corporation, they have had a long and unusual history. And the Popular Mechanics artical was a very interesting read. I will have to look into the classified ad. From what i have found they were in new in 1972 so that leaves a very small window for production.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:33 PM   #7

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Interesting front shape similarity to the Star Trek shuttlecraft (even closer to that look than the Snoozy, thanks to the front window). This really is a good find; I bet it has loads of potential if it's basically sound.

I really like the look of the huge front window. Not certain how practical it is, but for looks and for looking out of... wow.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:57 PM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Excellent find! Looking forward to pictures, specs and a wonderful restoration.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:35 PM   #9

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Wow what a special find. That is truly an exceptional trailer. From some angles looks quite a lot like a boat !!. Please keep us updated on the refurb as you go along. Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:21 PM   #10

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
The Trek fan in me loves it!!!!
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:16 AM   #11

Indiana
step one

Got her all cleaned up this weekend. Power-washed it inside and out. Removed the remainder of the floor, and reminants of baby blue on dark blue shag carpet and removed the rear door for repair. Next step, framing the inside and fiberglass repair. Interesting note, i sprayed the inside with mold/mildew remover, whatever the chemical in it was, it brought out some writing on the gray water tank. It said "Tank for Apeco Small World" wish there was a date.
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0836.jpg   IMAG0838.jpg  

IMAG0839.jpg   IMAG0840.jpg  

IMAG0837951340633305508.jpg  
Old 06-25-2012, 09:45 AM   #12

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
That is just so cool! Any floor plan in mind? Kinda looks like a foot well, for a dinette, up front.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:39 AM   #13

Indiana
I am throwing a few ideas around. i don't think there was a dinette up there, i think it was on the back door that folded down. If you look at my first set of pics, the one with the caption next to it says there was a "patio", my guess is the dining was there. IDK. I am not going to restore it to its original glory, cant find any inside pics to go off of anyway. I want it to be functional and convenient for me and my family.
Here is what i am thinking:
in the front, a full or queen bed. i will sort of seperate the bed from the back of the camper with a couple floor to ceiling shelves/cabinets for storage.
in the back on one side a twin over futon bed/sofa and on the other side a small countertop and built in microwave. with more cabinets for storage. on the fold down door i am going to attempt to use it as a screened in "patio" space.
I am definately open to ideas from anyone as this is my first go at fixing up a camper!
Old 06-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #14

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieC View Post
I am throwing a few ideas around. i don't think there was a dinette up there, i think it was on the back door that folded down. If you look at my first set of pics, the one with the caption next to it says there was a "patio", my guess is the dining was there. IDK. I am not going to restore it to its original glory, cant find any inside pics to go off of anyway. I want it to be functional and convenient for me and my family.
Here is what i am thinking:
in the front, a full or queen bed. i will sort of seperate the bed from the back of the camper with a couple floor to ceiling shelves/cabinets for storage.
in the back on one side a twin over futon bed/sofa and on the other side a small countertop and built in microwave. with more cabinets for storage. on the fold down door i am going to attempt to use it as a screened in "patio" space.
I am definately open to ideas from anyone as this is my first go at fixing up a camper!
One word of caution, try to keep much of the heavy stuff over the axle. And balance is the key to safe travels. You need to carefully maintain side to side balance and tongue weight at 10% to 15% of total weight.
If you get too far out of balance uncontrolled sway will happen.
The chances of sway happening are reduced with most of the weight over the axle.
Sway will happen at some speed, the trick is to increase the speed at which sway will happen and reduce speed to stay well below that point.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:41 PM   #15

Indiana
Thank you for the Tip!! I will be careful to evenly distribute the weight.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:30 PM   #16

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Somebody recently posted a link to an excellent video demonstrating weight distribution in a trailer. Not the hitch type either.

Don't recall who, but it was in the last month. A model car and trailer on a type of treadmill. They moved washers forward and back on the trailer.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:12 PM   #17

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
My first trailer had a drop down deck with a screen in room option, it was really nice in that it opened up the back for views and space. Here is a link for a room addition you may be able to adapt Dometic Xtend-A-Room - Product - Camping World
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:04 AM   #18

Indiana
Thank you for that link!! I have been thinking on how i will create a screen room for my camper and having a picture to look at has helped. I am pretty handy with a sewing machine and have a regular patio canopy frame that I think I can modify to work on my fold down door! I will be sure to post pictures as I work on it!
Old 05-23-2020, 01:55 PM   #19

Name: Shredne
Trailer: In the market
Connecticut
Registry
Apeco Small World. Where did it go?

To Jamie C. and all others on this thread: Does anyone know what happened to this trailer? I have recently become obsessed with the Apeco Small World trailer and I'm looking for one to own. If anyone has any leads, please reach out to me!
Shredne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 02:36 PM   #20

Name: LINDA
Trailer: Apeco Small World
south lake tahoe
Apeco Small World Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredne View Post
To Jamie C. and all others on this thread: Does anyone know what happened to this trailer? I have recently become obsessed with the Apeco Small World trailer and I'm looking for one to own. If anyone has any leads, please reach out to me!
Hi! My parents have one in their driveway. It has all the original interior which is in bad shape and needs to be gutted. They are looking to pass it on to someone! Please message me if interested. They are in the SF Bay Area.
linda7900 is offline   Reply With Quote