Hi I am - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2015, 06:53 AM   #21

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Our camping styles are very different and I don't (yet) have solar panels. Not sure I ever will. I do a mix of boondocking and full hookup camping.
I can't imagine having all the advantages available in a Bigfoot and not using them, but that's what differences are all about.
That said, if you stick to what you've said, and convert all your lights to LED you might not ever need the solar recharging. Your Tow vehicle will recharge your battery whenever you are connected and allow you many days of dry camping. Nowadays the cost of LEDs is very minimal.
I suggest you install LEDS, invest in a battery monitor like

http://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3721-Ba...g+in+voltmeter

and find out what can you do without solar first.

Walt
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 07:30 AM   #22

Name: Jessie & Carl
Trailer: Scamp her name is Mae West
Missouri
Hi! I am Jessie.

My husband Carl, and I bought a used 19'Scamp 5th wheel last month (1984, I think)!
We pulled it home from KY, and a short trip last week, with our 4 cyl. 1988 Toyota, which is one reason we chose a Scamp. Because of the age of our truck, Carl does not want to get too far from home, but I am ready to seize the country! So we are looking for a bit larger truck, with a bit more room!
Ours did not come worth an owner's manual, so we are making discoveries on our own, and thankfully, this forum! I do not find the Scamp website easy to navigate, though I did finally stumble onto a maintenance page, from which I printed much of what I found.
Thank you for the add to thethe forum!
JessieJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:54 AM   #23

Name: Sue
Trailer: 17ft Bigfoot Travel Trailer
British Columbia
Thanks Walt
SadieSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:13 AM   #24

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Colorado
I would avoid the 15 watt solar panel. IMO it is way too small to do anything useful for you. I have a 50 watt panel with a 'smart' controller and all LED lighting and an Engel fridge which runs off it, along with incidental stuff like a radio, phone charging etc. I would consider the 50 watt panel the minimum. Doubling it would be my next move. The other consideration is the power of your storage battery, the number of amp/hours it stores. The bigger the better IMO!
ckayaker is offline   Reply With Quote