Hi, I am - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2016, 08:50 AM   #1

Name: Kristen
Trailer: in the market
Colorado
Hi, I am

Hello. Just joined the forum. We are in the market for a 13' Scamp and realize that with what we want we will probably buy new. That will be a first for us. We have evolved to Scamp after owning 2 different 8' pop tent trailers. After multiple high wind adventures we are ready to move to an egg. We camp primarily in BLM dry camping type sites in Colorado and Utah.
indymoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 09:11 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Kristen!

Just curious- what are you looking for that you can't find used?

I grew up camping in a pop-up and was looking for a small (8' box) tent trailer when I stumbled onto our Scamp. Definitely less space with four people, but so much more solid and comfortable in bad weather, and never any wet canvas to fold up. You will enjoy the upgrade. One thing you will have to deal with is converting between beds and seating in bad weather. Not a big deal, but it does take a few minutes. In good weather, of course, we leave the beds set up and live outside: cooking, eating, lounging, exploring, etc.

The taller profile does make for somewhat harder towing compared to a tent trailer of the same weight, especially when you add high altitudes, steep grades, and winds to the equation.

Best wishes!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 04:48 PM   #3

Colorado
Hi Jon. We are looking for a 13', no bathroom and the wider dinette bed. My hubby is tall and we will be more comfy with the extra width. The front couch is perfect for our dog. We intend to leave the diner as a full time bed. We do 90% of our cooking and eating outside. In colder or bad weather we will use a small folding table to eat from. We are looking forward to better warmth and wind resistance than we had in our pop up.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:16 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Ah… right. The wider bed. Aren't too many of those out there yet. Good call.

You could also keep an eye out for a deluxe front dinette. They show up every now and then. They have always had the wider bed, and the dinette might be nice on a cold, windy day to eat inside without taking up the bed.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 06:24 PM   #5

Colorado
I didn't realize the deluxe bed was the wider version. I see it now that I look at the web pictures again. I certainly prefer the look of the wood vs fiberglass cabinets. Looks like more available or better usable storage. I will have to get the delux price quote and see how much it bumps up the price.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:08 AM   #6

Name: Bob
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
I'm not sure that the wood or the fiberglass is dog paw proof. We went with the icebox in our new 13. The ice box works well for us.

BobH.
BobH. is offline   Reply With Quote