Hi. I am - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2017, 01:21 AM   #1

Name: Jerry
Trailer: Casita
Missouri
Smile Hi. I am

Greetings fellow earthlings..
I am Jerry retired Navy, my wife of 41 years is Marsha .. we spent 20 years living and cruising about the islands of the warmer climes and have come ashore and purchased a 17 ft. Casita to travel about the states.
Our home is in Mid Missouri which is a nest of places to camp as well as there are 7 states contacting ours which we can be in in a half days drive... Plenty to do.. . I hope to glean some information regarding the way to have a happy time traveling about with our little unit. spares to carry, mods recommended as well as things and places to avoid.
warm regards Jerry & Marsha
USN Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 01:34 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Welcome to FGRV Jerry, the folks here sure like to answer questions, bring 'em on. How long have you had your Casita and what kind of camping do you do, hook ups or boondocking ?
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 05:05 AM   #3

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
HI Jerry & Marsha, welcome to the gang and hope you enjoy your camping as much as the wife an I do.
Try to go to a rally along your travels they're a lot of fun
Mine is the Spring Fling in New England, May 11 - 14 in New Hampshire.
Welcome to come.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 06:49 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome to FGRV! Just think of your Casita as a yacht with a really big deck. Happy travels!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 06:51 AM   #5

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Hi. I am

Jerry & Marsha,

Welcome to FGRV!
My wife and I are in the Kansas City metro area.

If you haven't already done so, I would suggest looking into a "senior pass" (ours is "America The Beautiful") that will give you half price camping at national parks, Army Corps of Engineers parks, etc. At a Camping World store, we got a huge book of camping locations with our Good Sam membership and we also purchased a Passport America membership that has many half price camping options.

I would second the idea of attending some rallies. It would probably be good to look at upcoming rallies and make some site reservations as soon as possible.

Some additional rally ideas might be:
Green Eggs & Ham - mid-March - Montgomery, Al. - www.casitaforum.com - senior pass
Kansas Eggstravaganza - early September - Junction City, Ks - this forum - senior pass?
Land Between The Lakes - early October - near Paducah, Ky - this forum - senior pass?

If you check out the rallies section of this forum, you will find many rallies to choose from.
At the rallies, there is usually an "open house" day where you can see other folks trailers, talk with folks about their unique trailer modifications, and get decorating ideas.

Wishing you both safe and happy travels!

Ray (& Francie)
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 09:04 AM   #6

Name: Dean
Kentucky
Registry
Hi Jerry,

Welcome! Laura and I just finished our first year, 2016, with our new to us Casita. We camped 38 nights and love rallies.

Thank you for your service.

Wishing you the best,

Dean
Old 01-29-2017, 03:55 PM   #7

Missouri

The Cssita been ours a bit over a year .. maybe a total of 14 nights sofar ,, mostly we have been being pretty consistent in our camping in state parks along a route to a family function we have precisely planned out ahead of time .. you know leave by xxam arrive at xx st park by xxPM with reservations and hook up. (military mindset prevents me from happily bouncing along till supper time then look for a suitable place) .. not having a destination would bug me all day.. Boondocking is attractive and may work better when out of the beaten path and not on any sort of schedule .. out west or up North. what's your take on boondocking? have you been rousted out by the law or land owners? seems like that would be a real big negative to peaceful travels. Thanks for responding ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Welcome to FGRV Jerry, the folks here sure like to answer questions, bring 'em on. How long have you had your Casita and what kind of camping do you do, hook ups or boondocking ?
Old 01-29-2017, 03:58 PM   #8

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
HI Jerry & Marsha, welcome to the gang and hope you enjoy your camping as much as the wife an I do.
Try to go to a rally along your travels they're a lot of fun
Mine is the Spring Fling in New England, May 11 - 14 in New Hampshire.
Welcome to come.
Thanks for the response and welcome .. I'm writing the fling date in May down but don't look very much like we'll be there this year.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:42 PM   #9

Missouri
Ray (& Francie)
Thanks for the response and a lengthy suggestion on where to get a lot of info..
Old 01-29-2017, 11:57 PM   #10

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by USN Jerry View Post

The Cssita been ours a bit over a year .. maybe a total of 14 nights sofar ,, mostly we have been being pretty consistent in our camping in state parks along a route to a family function we have precisely planned out ahead of time .. you know leave by xxam arrive at xx st park by xxPM with reservations and hook up. (military mindset prevents me from happily bouncing along till supper time then look for a suitable place) .. not having a destination would bug me all day.. Boondocking is attractive and may work better when out of the beaten path and not on any sort of schedule .. out west or up North. what's your take on boondocking? have you been rousted out by the law or land owners? seems like that would be a real big negative to peaceful travels. Thanks for responding ..
Howdy Jerry, before I retired I was on the "schedule" too. I'm on the other side as I don't think I've used state or private parks more than a couple dozen times in over 30 years and even then I only plugged into the power. Understand the planning ahead and have had to do that but the best trips seemed to be the "off the cuff" ones. I boondock, BLM land mostly and I think your right, off the beaten path, Midwest/west probably offers more locations. I have never had a problem with the law or land owners....except a couple of other campers now and then. One time I pushed the envelope for travel time and ended up in a major city in the Midwest around 10pm, dang. Pulled into a 24 hour gas station and asked if I could park in the back to get some sleep. The guy said sure, no problem. Just keep camping, your military mindset will fade with time .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 04:32 AM   #11

Boondocking is attractive and may work better when out of the beaten path and not on any sort of schedule .. out west or up North. what's your take on boondocking? have you been rousted out by the law or land owners? seems like that would be a real big negative to peaceful travels. Thanks for responding ..

Jerry, over the past 20 years we use primerally use State or National Forest campgrounds are rarelly make reservatoins.
We try to plan our arrivals at destinations before noon, check out time being in most places at 10 or 11 to get a site.
We never plan to be moving so we arrive at a site on a Friday.
If we do get stuck we just ask the ranger where there might be a spot to go and they always knew of a place that campers could park,(although it may be back some miles.
Also there are sites on the computer that shows where overnight parking is allowed.. truck stops, wal*marts and others.
Try and relax and have a great time and, oh yea, if going on a trip to relax, stay in one spot for 3 or 4 nights.
To get in a spot at 4PM and wolf down supper, sit and plan next days journey, and wake up only to have to wolf down breakfast and be out by 10AM is not relaxing.
Relax and have great times.

[/QUOTE]
Old 01-30-2017, 07:31 AM   #12

Arizona
Registry
Hi. I am

"Boondocking" is called dispersed camping by various agencies, and it is perfectly legal on large chunks of public land in the West. There are generally some rules and limitations: how long you can stay in one place, off-limits areas, disposal of waste, etc. They vary from place to place, so do a little homework online or give the relevant local agency a call.

I agree with Dave that other users can be the biggest concern. "Free" attracts all sorts, including the occasional whacko. If you're not comfortable, move on. You need to know the season, too. You probably don't want to be camping in the middle of prime deer or elk hunting season (unless you've got a tag, of course). Access may be closed or restricted during peak fire season.

Forest service campgrounds are a nice compromise between dispersed camping and full-service public or private campgrounds. Low cost, limited amenities (in our area, vault toilets and trash bins, but no hookups), maintained and monitored by the forest service, but can be crowded in peak season.

Try them all, from dispersed sites to "RV resorts." You'll find somewhere on the spectrum hits your sweet spot.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:17 PM   #13

Missouri
Jerry & Marsha,

I now realize that I failed to mention another rally that is coming up in about a week. It is called Scamp Camp and details can be found on the Scamp Owners International website. SOI Scamp Travel Trailer | Events | Forum | Resources | Scamp Owners International

Scamp Camp is/was organized by Scamp owners, but all FGRVs (maybe all trailers?) are welcome.

Green Eggs and Ham is/was organized by Casita owners but, once again, is open to all sorts of FGRVs. The Kansas Eggstravaganza is also primarily a Casita rally but, a couple of years ago, we were made to feel very welcome in our little Scamp13 trailer. Very nice folks!

There are differences in some of the rallies that you will see advertised. Some are completely unstructured with just some common meals/potluck dinners and lots of time for visiting.

Other rallies (like GE&H and LBL) have the usual potlucks and visiting, but also have various optional classes and instructional sessions. For instance, the GE&H rally this year will have a workshop on riveting and another on a crafting project. In years past, LBL (Land Between the Lakes) has had classes/workshops on solar power for RVs, dutch oven cooking, and maintenance and operation of both built-in and portable RV toilets.

At most of these semi-structured rallies, attendance at the classes and/or workshops is completely optional.

My wife and I enjoy a mixture of both kinds of rallies. We've found that we do enjoy at least some opportunities to learn a little more about some aspects of RVing. What you guys choose is completely up to you.

Good luck and safe travels to you!

Ray (& Francie)
Old 02-01-2017, 06:24 PM   #14

Hey Jerry, not to get off thread but as Ray was mentioning some rallies, and thanks Ray for some ideas on rallies, I am hosting my first rally, Spring Fling in New England, on May 11-14 in Chocorua Nh.
Along with meet and greet there will be a pot luck with my award winning BBQ chicken, games, raffels, local trips and more.
Check out the thread in rallies.
Rallies are a great place to get new ideas on how to do remodels or repairs.
Hope to see ya
Old 02-02-2017, 08:46 PM   #15

Missouri
Thanks for your advise and Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdickens View Post
Jerry & Marsha,

I now realize that I failed to mention another rally that is coming up in about a week. It is called Scamp Camp and details can be found on the Scamp Owners International website. SOI Scamp Travel Trailer | Events | Forum | Resources | Scamp Owners International

Scamp Camp is/was organized by Scamp owners, but all FGRVs (maybe all trailers?) are welcome.

Green Eggs and Ham is/was organized by Casita owners but, once again, is open to all sorts of FGRVs. The Kansas Eggstravaganza is also primarily a Casita rally but, a couple of years ago, we were made to feel very welcome in our little Scamp13 trailer. Very nice folks!

There are differences in some of the rallies that you will see advertised. Some are completely unstructured with just some common meals/potluck dinners and lots of time for visiting.

Other rallies (like GE&H and LBL) have the usual potlucks and visiting, but also have various optional classes and instructional sessions. For instance, the GE&H rally this year will have a workshop on riveting and another on a crafting project. In years past, LBL (Land Between the Lakes) has had classes/workshops on solar power for RVs, dutch oven cooking, and maintenance and operation of both built-in and portable RV toilets.

At most of these semi-structured rallies, attendance at the classes and/or workshops is completely optional.

My wife and I enjoy a mixture of both kinds of rallies. We've found that we do enjoy at least some opportunities to learn a little more about some aspects of RVing. What you guys choose is completely up to you.

Good luck and safe travels to you!

Ray (& Francie)
Thanks ... the advise and info is appreciated. the Rallies look like a place to mingle with same minded folks and get some other ideas.
Regards J&M
Old 02-02-2017, 08:55 PM   #16

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
"Boondocking" is called dispersed camping by various agencies, and it is perfectly legal on large chunks of public land in the West. There are generally some rules and limitations: how long you can stay in one place, off-limits areas, disposal of waste, etc. They vary from place to place, so do a little homework online or give the relevant local agency a call.

I agree with Dave that other users can be the biggest concern. "Free" attracts all sorts, including the occasional whacko. If you're not comfortable, move on. You need to know the season, too. You probably don't want to be camping in the middle of prime deer or elk hunting season (unless you've got a tag, of course). Access may be closed or restricted during peak fire season.

Forest service campgrounds are a nice compromise between dispersed camping and full-service public or private campgrounds. Low cost, limited amenities (in our area, vault toilets and trash bins, but no hookups), maintained and monitored by the forest service, but can be crowded in peak season.

Try them all, from dispersed sites to "RV resorts." You'll find somewhere on the spectrum hits your sweet spot.
Thanks Jon.. amazing that you suggested that we see the Casita as a boat... that was exactly as we approached buying the smaller RV rig... it has a cabin that would proudly be on a 30ft sailboat.. but as anyone who has lived aboard a boat will say.. life takes place outside and ashore .. "going and doing" ! Thanks for the information in your post. by the way.. is there a help function where I can figure out how to post a picture.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:39 PM   #17

Missouri
Hi. I am

Jerry,

On a computer, look for "Go advanced" in the reply area.
On an iPad/iPhone app, look for the"+" to the left of the reply area and press it.
On an Android app, look for the "^" to the left of the reply area.

Once in the advanced reply mode, you should see the icons that will allow you to attach a picture.

That's the best I can do ......

Gook luck! [emoji4]

Ray
Old 02-02-2017, 09:56 PM   #18

Arizona
Registry
You can find more detailed instructions in the "Forums 101" thread in the Forum Administration, News and Announcements section. Post #7 deals with pictures.

I'll look forward to pictures of your "land yacht"!
Old 02-03-2017, 12:23 AM   #19

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Welcome Jerry, nice work with the hitch. Your more than welcome at our rally we host "2nd Annual Eggs on the Hiawassee River" May 18th -20th in the NE Georgia mountains. We have almost 60 eggs signed up and I think there is about 12 spots left. Lots of Casitas, Scamps, 2 Bolers, several U-Hauls, a Trillium, some Olivers & Escapes & more. Here is the link: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/c...=2017-5-18&c=1

John & Melissa
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 12:52 AM   #20

Missouri
Thanks Ray & Jon for that guidance on adding picture.. I'll have to give it a wack..