Hi I am - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2017, 12:07 PM   #1

Name: Linda
Trailer: in the market
Texas
Hi I am

a newcomer, I'm currently researching options for both a vehicle and a trailer. I'll be traveling by myself with 2 dogs. I'm looking at a used SUV and a light weight fiberglass trailer of some kind. I'd like to camp in both campgrounds and national parks, some dry camping, and be able to stay with friends for extended periods and have my own space. Any advice or recommendations would be welcome
lg0511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 12:25 PM   #2

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Welcome! Dry camping means you need a bathroom and LP gas for refrigerator (unless you're going to run a generator). What is your budget for trailer and tow vehicle?
Old 06-05-2017, 12:39 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Linda!

Since you'll be doing some dry camping as well as driveway camping, you'll probably want something with a bathroom. Most people prefer a unit with propane, though all-electric set-ups with solar and/or a small generator sometimes work.

Scamp and Casita both sell (or sold in Casita's case) a 13' model with a full wet bath/shower, about the lightest you could go. If the dogs are really small that might work, but you will probably be happier stepping up to a 16-17' model. Common models worth looking at include a Scamp 16, Casita 16, Escape 17, and Casita 17 (from lightest to heaviest). You can find out more on the manufacturers' websites. In general, used units aren't much different from current offerings. Don't rely on dry weight information, though, which leads to...

Trailer Weights in the Real World is a helpful resource. It is a database of actual on-the-road weights of various makes and models. Post #297 links to a spreadsheet. The data will help you make a good match of trailer and tow vehicle.

Best wishes in your search!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 12:58 PM   #4

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
trailer purchase

Linda First and foremost welcome to the forum and fiberglass community ! Just my two cents as to the bathroom. If dry camping is on the menu you might be better served to pass on the bathroom and go with a porta potti . A bathroom would limit your camping time to the capacity of the toilet in your trailer then you must leave and find a place you can dump. Conversely a porta potti can be dumped in forestry service outhouses ( very carefully to not create a mess ) hence you can take your porta potti to the nearest outhouse or maybe you are going to some nearby town and can find an rv campground where you can dump it, in any of the scenarios you don't have to break camp and tow your unit to the nearest town with available dumping facilities. Much easier IMHO to haul the porta potti than move the trailer. If you get one of the larger capacity porta pottis the capacity isn't a whole lot less than many units with the built in bathroom. Even if you are staying in a campground with a dump your stay may exceed the capacity of the bathroom toilet so you have to move the whole unit to dump rather than just load the porta potti in your vehicle and go to the in campgroung dump. (I am anxiously awaiting the numerous responses this will likely generate). Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 01:03 PM   #5

Name: KAY
Trailer: SCAMP
Missouri
Registry
Don't forget composting toilets. There are a few on here who have take that route as well.
likeair2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 02:43 PM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Since you're in Texas, buy a Casita. We have an older SD17, and for longer travels it is better than our Uhaul 13, and way better than our vintage teardrop.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:46 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I usually travel alone (no dogs).... I had similar requirements as you; In addition I did not want a large SUV or truck. I decided on a 13 foot Scamp with a front bath and large bed (really just a full sized bed, but larger than the bed in older Scamps or the Casita 13)

Getting the smaller trailer was very important to me, and I believe the Scamp has the best configuration in 13 foot trailers. While I really liked the design of the Casita 13, the large bed and available screen door were the items that made me choose the Scamp. If I was to do it again, I would order the same trailer.

Whatever you decide on, the single most important option for camping without electricity is a propane powered fridge. I would also urge you to avoid relying on a generator, as many parks limit their use and even the quietest ones are incredibly annoying.
brettl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:00 AM   #8

Texas
my problem with the Casita is the carpet on the wall and ceilings, do they have another option?
Old 06-06-2017, 09:02 AM   #9

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lg0511 View Post
my problem with the Casita is the carpet on the wall and ceilings, do they have another option?
No.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:03 AM   #10

Texas
what about showering?
Old 06-06-2017, 09:06 AM   #11

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
what about showering?
The wet bath enclosure is fiberglass.

EDIT- I took your question as a follow-on to the question about wall coverings, but if it's a general question about showering, I'll elaborate a bit more.

Smaller fiberglass trailers (if they have anything at all) have a "wet bath," meaning a single waterproof space with a toilet, shower, and sometimes a small sink. A compact water heater supplies hot water, usually 6 gallons, and it runs on propane (or sometimes propane and 110V power). Water drains into a grey tank, which has to be emptied, so short showers are advisable unless you're hooked up to sewer. Because it's a wet bath, it has to be dried down after each shower. Most people keep a quick-drying synthetic chamois cloth for that purpose.

Alternatives to having an on-board wet bath include using campground facilities (which can vary greatly in comfort and cleanliness), using a basin and cloths rather than a full-body shower, or setting up an outside enclosure and a solar shower or portable propane water heater (both available from camping stores or online).

A few people want a shower without a traditional toilet and black tank, preferring the porta-potty or composting toilet solutions already mentioned. I think it likely Scamp would accommodate a request to install a wet bath without the toilet, allowing you to add your own. I doubt Casita would, and I don't know about Escape.

We do not have a bathroom in our Scamp and only take short trips to developed campgrounds, usually state parks, so we use campground facilities. We have learned the fine art of showering without touching any of the surfaces in the shower. Most are actually not too bad. The worst were at a state park in Big Sur, CA. They were infested with spiders, and the lights came on automatically at 6pm, but in November, when we visited, it was dark by 3pm due to the canyon and dense forest. First time I've ever showered by flashlight...
Old 06-06-2017, 09:15 AM   #12

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Quote:
what about showering?
I'm one who has installed a composting toilet (C-Head) in my 13 ft Scamp - very happy with it. Went 5 weeks using it part time this past winter down in Florida. Emptied it at the end of that trip because I was going to store the trailer for a few months. No smell, nothing disgusting, but did have some tiny flies - could have been handled with a pest strip inside the toilet housing (as the manufacturer recommends), but the trip was ending, so just replaced the composting medium instead. I have not bothered to vent the toilet to the outside, but that is an option. I see no need at this point.

Regarding the shower. I usually use the campground facilities, or if unavailable, a cheap garden sprayer, filled with warm water works quite well. Can just wash hair over the kitchen sink, or stand in a plastic tub for a more complete shower experience. How often do you actually need to shower while camping?

Fewer "systems" in your trailer means lighter weight, less maintenance, and fewer things to go wrong. KISS principle. Works well for me.

Best of luck on your search.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:23 AM   #13

Texas
that sounds like a good option. I lived without electricity in a cabin many years ago, and found that a tea kettle of boiling water mixed with cold water and a metal tub I stood in worked just fine. I worked in an office and did this daily for years
Old 06-06-2017, 09:28 AM   #14

Texas
ok, I just can't go with a Casita due to the carpeting. And I dont need many of the bells and whistles-dinettes, extra sleeping area, bunks, etc. Any ideas for something structurally sound that can be customized, ie, ordered without alot of the standard stuff? I'd rather have a single bed, some desk space, 2 burner cooktop, small fridge, basic storage. I'm an interior designer and want to provide my own colors and finishes.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:56 AM   #15

Arizona
Registry
Almost everything is optional in a Scamp, so they can be very basic if you want. The walls are covered in marine headliner, not carpet, though it does have a carpet-like feel.

My personal choice for minimalist solo travel would be a Scamp 16' Layout 4. I'd use the small front bunk for sleeping, skip the wet bath package and just put a porta-potty in the small side privacy room for emergencies, and leave the large rear dinette set up for daytime use. It has more galley space and storage than most other trailers its size for long-term use.

Alternatively, just get a Scamp 13' Layout 1. You give up the privacy room/wet bath and galley/storage space, but you still have the same small front bed for sleeping and large rear dinette for daytime use. There is a compartment for a small porta-potty.

If you want something even more simple and customizable with smooth fiberglass walls, hose-off floors (nice with dogs), and a cool, retro vibe (but not inexpensive), check out Happier Camper HC1.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:10 AM   #16

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
+10 Best shot at getting something basic you can customize in a 13 foot size is Scamp. Their standard trailer comes with almost nothing: no heat, no bath, no frig, no A/C, etc.

Do realize that the cabinets inside any of the molded fiberglass trailers provide structural support for walls and roof. So removing all the cabinets will require careful consideration of how best to support the structure.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 10:20 AM   #17

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Do realize that the cabinets inside any of the molded fiberglass trailers provide structural support for walls and roof. So removing all the cabinets will require careful consideration of how best to support the structure.
Happier Camper is an exception. The empty shell is self-supporting, which is why the interior is fully customizable.

Lil Snoozy is also self-supporting, and you can order an empty shell to build out as you like (called the Lil Hauley). If you order the finished camper version, though, your customizations options are more limited.