Hi, I am a new 1973 Trillium 1300 owner - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-29-2017, 09:28 PM   #1

Name: Eva
Trailer: 1973 Trillium
Ontario
Hi, I am a new 1973 Trillium 1300 owner

I am very thankful to be a member of this forum, I have reviewed many of the topics and obtained very helpful information.
According to the metal sheet and spec nameplate, my trailer was built in Markham, Ontario in April 1973 and the serial no. is 13-120-918, GVR 1200. I will pull it with a Honda CRV.
I was looking for a project and although I am handy with sealing windows, sewing cushion covers, etc., there is a problem with the signal lights of the trailer, when I use my car's turn signal to indicate a left turn, the trailer signals right, alternatively when I try to indicate a right turn, the marker lights on both sides of the trailer flash...I am probably going to have take this to an RV shop to fix since it is beyond my abilities.
I am looking forward to getting out camping before the season is over!

Old 08-30-2017, 09:41 AM   #2

Name: Duane
Trailer: trillium
New Brunswick
Hi I am a new 1973 Trillium owner

Hi Eva since your lights are actually lighting up I think you may only have a ground wire issue. If you look you should find a wire fastened to the trailer frame with a screw or bolt. It is usually white in color on these Trilliums and many others. Just loosen it and clean the area well. Reattach the wire and try the lights again. My '76 did the same thing when I got out of storage this summer. Good luck and if you don't feel you can do this ask a handy neighbour or friend to do it ! Enjoy your "new" Trillium and happy camping too ! Duane

Old 08-30-2017, 10:01 AM   #3

Name: Curt
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Alberta
Registry
Electrical issues

Welcome to the fold!

I have NOT had the same issue with my '78 Trill, but have had other electrical problems. As a mechanical engineer, homeowner, and all-around handy guy (jack of all trades, master of absolutely NONE), I have found that dealing with 12 Volt wiring issues CAN be frustrating, but if dealt with in a slow, systematic way, can be very rewarding.

While the problem MAY BE a ground issue, the fact that you have working lights , but not the right ones, indicates to me that there is a wiring issue elsewhere. A good place to start would be to find the Trillium Wiring Diagram in the documents section of this forum, and use it as a guide. The wiring cable generally enters the trailer under the front bench seat of the Trillium, on the left hand side forward of the fridge/stove, so lifting the lid there will give you full access to the wiring. In my trailer this was quite a rat's nest. I built a wooden box to contain things and to keep sharp metal objects from possibly contacting wires and shorting things out.

You should be able to see that the color-coded wires are either properly connected (blue to blue, red to red, etc), or they are not, in which case this is very likely part of the problem. Try changing some of them around and see what happens. You should be able to find the correct wires to the lights in question and get them connected to the correct wires from your TV.

Another thought - also check your TV connector! It's possible that this was NOT connected properly. You never know...

Curt
Old 08-30-2017, 10:56 AM   #4

Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Washington
Registry
HI!

Paul said he knows exactly what the problem is: you've got your trailer hooked up to your tow vehicle the wrong way 'round.

Just hook up to the other end of the trailer and the signal lights will be on the correct sides.

He said you may have to have it reversed on the frame first. 8)

BEST
Kai
Old 08-30-2017, 03:34 PM   #5

Name: Rudy
Trailer: Burro
Iowa
Registry
I recently had a similar issue hooking up my Burro to my 1993 Toyota pickup. The issue may be that you are wiring two different types of light systems together without a proper conversion box. Your tow vehicle has a separate light for turn signal and brake whereas your trailer is the old system and has a combined brake and turn signal. You may need a conversion box on your tow vehicle to convert your vehicle lights to a four wire pigtail. Just a thought.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:23 AM   #6

Ontario
Thanks for electrical suggestions

Thanks everyone for the helpful (and humorous) suggestions. I am working through this using the slow and steady approach. Just a question does anyone have a 4 pin wiring diagram for the Trillium 1300? The document section contains a 7 pin diagram, googling provides many diagrams, but leaves me wondering whether there is even a colour coding convention for the wires.
Thanks again!
Old 08-31-2017, 12:00 PM   #7

Name: Curt
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Alberta
Registry
7 pin vs 4 pin

Big question first - does your Trillium have BRAKES? If so they will NOT work without the 7-pin connector! Neither will interior lights in the trailer, or any other 12 Volt appliance, such as a 3-way fridge.

Before my Trill, none of my trailers ever had brakes. My first softsided tent trailer and my small catamaran trailer were both way too light to need them. My second boat trailer didn't have brakes, but it definitely would have been helpful. Now with the Trillium, I'm not really sure that they are NECESSARY, but they do make stopping a whole lot more secure. A Honda CRV is pretty light, so I would highly recommend using trailer brakes, if you have them. This would of course, necessitate having the 4-pin connector upgraded to a 7-pin, and having a brake controller installed in the TV. When we bought our Nissan Pathfinder, we bought it with the towing package, including 7-pin. I just had to install the brake controller.

Anyway, if you don't have brakes or don't want to use them (at least for now) you should be able to connect just the lights up to your 4-wire connector. Check out Help with wiring to tail lights and side signals for more information on this.

Also, this one, Trailer Wiring Diagrams | Offroaders.com, shows wiring with the 4-pin connector.

Have fun!
Old 09-01-2017, 12:45 PM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
Hi Eva - Welcome to the FGRV, and to the 200 'some-odd' collection of us Ontario FGRV owners on this web-site. If you care to indicate your general location (with a PM !) in this huge province of ours, perhaps I can lead you to a similar FGRV owner so you could arrange a personal inspection of their wiring harness. Great start up with your 'new-2U' Trillium. Keep at it ! - - - 'dave' in the Algonquin Highlands.
Old 09-04-2017, 11:35 AM   #9

Ontario
Brake suggestion

Thanks for the advice on brakes. In all the years of dragging an old Viking tent trailer (less than 1000lbs), and dragging my kids' stuff back and forth to university in Uhaul trailers, I never even considered the idea... perhaps this is the time to do it, even though the trailer is as light as it can be (no water, propane, battery).
I can't express enough appreciation for the wealth of knowledge on this site, this has to be be my most researched and talked about purchase ever!
I now also realize I need to replace the bolts holding shell to frame, they were "flapping in the breeze", I don't put that into the category of looking to see if there is an escaped tiger before exiting my trailer, but then I guess I am risk averse...and I would check for bears.

Tags
trillium

« old member | Newbie »