Hi I am a New member. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2019, 09:35 AM   #1

Name: Doreen
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr.
California
Hi I am a New member.

We just bought a 1972 Hunter Compact Jr. We plan on fixing the inside but would like to know the best way to clean the oxidation on the outside fiberglass. We live in California and hoping there will be some rallies in 2020.
Thank You
Dondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:10 AM   #2

Name: Brian
Trailer: Trillium Outback
British Columbia
Poli Glow is the way to go

IMHO, Poli Glow is the way to go. Our FB trailer was dull dull dull. I cleaned it then cleaned it again with the Poli Glow cleanser then applied the Poli Glow. The FB pops like it was brand new. I went to a rally about a month after I applied it and fellow rally goers could not believe how shiny it was. Follow the instructions. I applied the Poli Glow in sections about 4' by 5' (or so), waited one minute; applied the second coat; waited one minute... etc for 6 coats then moved on to the next section. Took not much more than an hour to do our Trillium. Easy peasy; no polishing; just wipe it on in thin layers. When you put the first couple of coats on you won't think it is doing much but then with each successive coat it starts to shine. You can buy the Poli Glow kits on Amazon. In the states you will likely pay in the $75 range. For my Trillium I used about a third of the polish bottle, so lots left for the coming few years. Look it up on Google to get more info.
Retired Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 09:31 AM   #3

Name: Doreen
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr.
California
Thank you so much Brian.
Dondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 03:58 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Hi I am a New member.

It's a hack, but many people have reported excellent results with high gloss floor wax, and it’s definitely cheaper. Zep is the brand commonly sold at Home Depot and similar big box home stores. Process is similar: clean and de-oxidize the shell, wipe on multiple thin coats of Zep, and let dry. Lasts 1-2 years depending on storage and climate. When it's time to redo, you'll need to use the Zep brand stripper, sold alongside the wax, before reapplying.

If you do a "Site Search/Google" (bottom of the search menu), you should turn up lots of old threads with more details.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 04:05 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
It's a hack, but many people have had excellent results with high gloss floor wax,

Make sure nobody walks on it though.