Hi, I am....AnotherCanadian - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-27-2016, 06:31 PM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17ft 1983
British Columbia
Hi, I am....AnotherCanadian

New member here in Vancouver area of BC. Wife and I just bought a 1983 Bigfoot 17.

We previously owned a similar vintage 8ft Okanagan slide in truck camper, but wanted more room, fewer leaks, and a bathroom as we have a 3 month old baby boy. My wife also didn't like the idea of climbing a ladder into the camper with the baby.

Our Bigfoot already has a 5200lb straight axle, and I'm just about to convert to spring-over for more clearance. Will prbably add some shocks as well to help with rougher roads.

LED bulb conversion will help with battery life but I am contemplating a dual battery setup as we camp almost entirely off grid, and our trailer has a newer electronic ignition furnace with a fan that will draw the battery down during fall/winter trips.

Hello from Mike and Alexis, and our son Coleman
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2932.jpg  
AnotherCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 09:36 PM   #2

Name: Jan
Trailer: '02 Bigfoot 17'
Washington
Registry
Welcome!

Nice looking truck and trailer! I'm sure it handles well on the road. The Bigfoot looks great. Nice to have another Bigfoot owner.
40bpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 10:39 AM   #3

Name: milton
Trailer: Northern Lite
British Columbia
Registry
Hi from Kamloops, Nice rig. We added air bags to a raised straight axle ,raised 4 inches.LED lights and 150 watt solar with 2 6 volt AGM's. All good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCanadian View Post
New member here in Vancouver area of BC. Wife and I just bought a 1983 Bigfoot 17.

We previously owned a similar vintage 8ft Okanagan slide in truck camper, but wanted more room, fewer leaks, and a bathroom as we have a 3 month old baby boy. My wife also didn't like the idea of climbing a ladder into the camper with the baby.

Our Bigfoot already has a 5200lb straight axle, and I'm just about to convert to spring-over for more clearance. Will prbably add some shocks as well to help with rougher roads.

LED bulb conversion will help with battery life but I am contemplating a dual battery setup as we camp almost entirely off grid, and our trailer has a newer electronic ignition furnace with a fan that will draw the battery down during fall/winter trips.

Hello from Mike and Alexis, and our son Coleman
milt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 11:02 AM   #4

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Hi and welcome to the molded fiberglass community. Seems like a lot of Bigfoots here lately.
A word of caution when you convert to a spring under, just in case you aren't already familiar with it. Make sure the brakes are flipped as well so that you don't reverse the direction of torque on the springs. That could ruin them.

Walt
Old 11-28-2016, 01:17 PM   #5

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Bigfoot

Hi and welcome to the forum. We have a 1981 Bigfoot 17 and have enjoyed every minute we have been able to spend in it. If if fits your schedule we would love to see you at one of the gatherings, we meet, greet and have a wonderful time sharing travel tall tales and it is a great place to see and discuss modifications. One coming up at Beverly Beach Oregon is not too far from you. Lee and Norma
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:52 PM   #6

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
Hi and welcome to the molded fiberglass community. Seems like a lot of Bigfoots here lately.
A word of caution when you convert to a spring under, just in case you aren't already familiar with it. Make sure the brakes are flipped as well so that you don't reverse the direction of torque on the springs. That could ruin them.

Walt
Thanks Walt,

I'm not flipping the axle, just welding new spring perches on top and converting to spring over axle. The crown of the axle remains correctly on top to retain proper brake function and wheel camber.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:37 AM   #7

British Columbia
Figured it was time to update. Spring over conversion worked great!

Replaced the original step with a double step. Replaced the old Viking awning with a used A&E Dometic 8500.
Installed stabilizer jacks.
New group 31 deep cycle battery.
LED lighting inside and patio lights.
Noco marine sealed power plug to replace original power cord.
Plastic storage tube on bumper for sewer hoses.
Additional charge point USB outlets.
Have resealed two back windows, plan to do the rest this summer.

Contemplating extending the tongue to add storage capabilities, perhaps a box or cargo deck, but with 2 yr old and 10 month old boys that are growing quickly, plus our large dog, I find myself watching classifieds for an affordable 21ft Bigfoot, as the bigger fridge and extra storage would be great. This 17 does what we need really though and at half the price of a 21.
Attached Thumbnails
FB_IMG_1509936061628.jpg   FB_IMG_1498592803943.jpg  

FB_IMG_1523466206774.jpg  
Old 05-24-2019, 11:53 AM   #8

Mike Sounds like you have done a really great job of getting the Bigfoot ready for camping. Seems like it is now time to kick back and enjoy it with the kids. I suggest you will be better off in the long haul to ignore your case of 2 foot itis ( you know if this rig were only two foot longer it would be perfect no matter how long your current rig is ). Wife and I suffered for many years from this dread disease through roughly 17 campers all the way up to a 29 foot Holiday Rambler fifth wheel with two slides and then , sensibly back down to a 13 foot Trailswest Campster . At one time we had a 17 foot Bigfoot Gaucho model and it seems it would be perfect for your group. Bigger equals worse gas mileage, many desirable camping spots that you will no longer fit in etc, . I suggest you think long and hard before moving up. Lee and Norma
Old 05-24-2019, 12:05 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
I would keep what you have and as the kids grow, let them sleep in a tent or purchase a cap for your pickup bed for additional sleeping quarters.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 03:29 PM   #10

Oops forgot the most important reason for staying small . There is a tendency to "camp in " rather than "camp out" in a larger trailer. The bigger trailer is cozy , comfortable , roomy etc. and you ( or more specifically my wife and I ) stayed in more and missed out on why we came out in the first place and that is to enjoy the outdoors. Lee and Norma