Hi, I am Bill ,new owner to a 79' Burro - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2017, 09:31 PM   #1
BW3

Name: Bill
Trailer: Burro
Massachusetts
Hi, I am Bill ,new owner to a 79' Burro

Hello All,
Just bought this project May not have been my smartest purchase in that it was a gut shot and I am looking at it as just a shell and not expecting anything to be working , my plan is to go through each system and either repair or upgrade to new . All this on a disability income and lots of time a fair understanding of the basic tools and how things work ....I think ....google is great . As a kid my dad took the family (younger brother ,Mom, and I) to visit his family in Canada this was back in the late 60's early 70's. .... great times and learned a lot about what travel trailer camping was the Boy Scouts took care of the other type ..... Now a bit older and of doubtful wiser , I have a good idea of what I want and expect for the camping I hope to do,I have still to many interest and hobbies ,and places I would like to see if I can . Just a shot list ....Metal dectecting (Deus XP), Hunting , Fishing, Argo 6x6 trail and woods / swamp running and a few handcrafts ...I have just started to look over this site for info and ideas so with a bit of luck I hope That my project is in better shape than what I giving it ,
The over all shell and frame are good I feel for it's age very clean a couple of rough spots , door hinge but over all good . She will need tires , I need to repair / replace fresh water and both gray and black water systems . I want to up grade the electrical systems , and figure the propane systems will need repair/replace .... windows seem ok, and there is no sign of water leakage / damage. All the cabinets have been replaced with wood reusing the hardware and a new floor installed all in all it looks like a good starting point for a small single person travel trailer .
Ok enough chat for now let the research and work begin..

Bill
BW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:42 PM   #2

Name: KAY
Trailer: SCAMP
Missouri
Registry
Another owners adventure

Welcome Bill. And where are those baby pictures we all want to see? Lets have a look at that empty shell of yours.
likeair2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:42 PM   #3
BW3

Massachusetts
Have not gotten to that yet ,I have camera battery charged up ,will add that to my to do list ,,,of getting the registration going ,do a doctor run,weed the garden ,starting to be over due on that another of my hobbies growing the little
100- 200lb pumpkins for the local farm stand ,yes I do know the pro' s that grow the 2000+ lb's near here but I just don't have the touch or time they have to do that to many interests and not enough $$$ to do any justice ...lol. Oh and thank you for the welcome
Old 06-22-2017, 09:41 AM   #4

Name: Annie
Trailer: Parkliner
Oregon
Hi Bill and Welcome.
I have a 81 Burro and just started restoration on it. So far its just been demo of past owners work. Hopefully soon I will get to the rebuild stage.

You will find tons of information on this site and lots of people willing to help with questions.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:49 AM   #5

Trailer: Burro 1983 13'
Wisconsin
Welcome

Welcome Bill.
I am also Bill, I also own a Burro, and am also on disability
for a Heart Transplant. The Burro is a great little camper
and has been a never ending project. Lol. I do a ton of volunteer
work but really enjoy working on the Burro. I never do a very good
job on anything but keeps me out of trouble.
Have fun with it!

Burro abill
Burro Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 12:34 PM   #6

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Welcome, Bill.

In Oct, 2015 we bought a 1973 amerigo, and over the next weeks entirely gutted it and then repaired it. It took Paul 9 months. Now we're camping in "Peanut" and whle we probably woudln't do it again, it was an experience of a lifetime.

Best luck with your Burro! Hope it goes great and that you have many happy camping trips with it!

BEST
Kai
Old 06-22-2017, 03:24 PM   #7

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
Welcome Bill and good luck with your project! I see you're from Mass...my wife and I used to camp up there a lot in the blackstone valley...Sutton falls campground....she loved it there and I miss the times.
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 04:02 PM   #8

Name: joe
Trailer: burro 1982
Tennessee
Burro

Hi Bill. Congratulations to being a burrow owner. I have an 82 burrow. Basically they are the same camper. I am also retarded and on a fixed income. I meant to say retired. I have done quite a few modifications to my burrow. I will try to post pictures here for you and everyone else to see. I am not very good at doing that so wish me luck. I do spend a lot of time traveling pretty close to Middle Tennessee. I did live in my 13 foot burrow for five months in New Mexico a couple of years ago. I have never stayed stayed in it during severe freezing cold weather. I have camped when it has got down to 25 degrees and felt no problem. I do have a mr. Buddy Heater but don't really like using it unless there's some windows cracked or the top vent is cracked open. I do travel with two dogs so with myself and two dogs that becomes a three dog night. That keeps me warm enough. As you can see in some of the pictures I put a countertop same height as the stove around to the end leaving myself only one seat to sit in. I usually travel alone 90% of the time. I really enjoy having the extra space and a larger refrigerator that goes in between the two seats where the bunk used to go. I use new laminate flooring on the floor and use the same for the countertop. You can see on the right under the seat that I cut a hole and made it a storage cabinet much easier to get in and out of. I usually leave the bed made up permanently. I no longer have a table to go in that spot. I prefer to sit outside at a small table to eat. Also you can see that the air conditioner is in the front window. I put in an 8000 BTU. It is mounted very securely I'll try to send a picture of mounting also. I also prefer camping off-grid. I have a 2000 watt Generac inverter generator that is extremely quiet. It pulls the air conditioner and electric lights and refrigerator with no problem. I have even occasionally used the microwave to warm something. No problems. I have decided to stay home this summer comma as you I also enjoy gardening. I do a lot of raised bed all organic gardening. But there are wonderful trout streams and places close by to Middle Tennessee to go camping and traveling and National Forest areas for free or two or $3 a night camping. If you ever make it down to Tennessee look me up you can private message me. Good luck with your new project
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170622_183216.jpg   IMG_20170622_183445.jpg  

IMG_20170622_183320.jpg   IMG_20170622_183455.jpg  

IMG_20170622_183358.jpg   IMG_20170622_183605.jpg  

IMG_20170622_183650.jpg  
eagle of flight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 04:20 PM   #9

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
Welcome aboard, Bill. I too have a Burro, mine being a 13 footer from 1983. I'm wondering about your reference to a grey and a black water systems though. The 13 footers I've seen had an internal freshwater tank and an external drain line for a drain bucket, or whatever. The only toilet was a port-a-potty cassette type. Ignore all of the above if yours is a 16 footer with bathroom.

As far as repairs/restorations go, #1 is making sure your shell is solid with a good solid floor (no soft spots) on a solid frame. Then your window and door seals (and the roof vent) gives you a solid package to work in. Everything inside can be worked around or even done without as I have proven with my Burro for the last 4 years!

Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 04:42 PM   #10
BW3

Massachusetts
Still at it.....

Well I thought I had really made a BIG mistake in that after paying cash and getting to the farm the bill of sale was not good .... so after a week of sweating that I payed to much for something that was not legally able to be on the road ..... the sales cleaned up everything and All is good for it to get regisited ...... Aaaawwwwhhhhhoooo!!!!

Pictures coming soon ....

Still may have paid to much but I don t care I can see day light to get out of here ....

Bill G.
Old 07-04-2017, 05:01 AM   #11

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
Congratulations on completing the next step. Now comes the part where you survey and evaluate to see what 1) HAS to be done, 2) SHOULD be done, and 3) you'd LIKE to be done. If you are like most of the rest of us, category 3 will be never ending as you see good ideas on other campers and figure out little tricks and gimmicks for yourself. Enjoy the ride!

Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 05:48 AM   #12

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Froggie and Bill--category 3 is so always there--every trip and half the FGRV sessions give us good ideas! Usually little things now; the big decidions and work isn't going to be redone any time soon (like choice of mattresses, for example) but smaller things--like which stirring spoon or where to hang the thermometer--are ongoing.

Good for you, Bill, so glad it is working out!

Happy trails!

BEST
Kai
Old 07-04-2017, 04:14 PM   #13
BW3

Massachusetts
Pictures ..maybe ...

Nor sure if this will work it seems like posting to a forum is different for site to sight and my fingers are not always smart enough to get the right buttons pushed .. here it goes ...more to follow if this works let me guess , I have to load my picture to a host site and then copy/paste link to post them here ?
Old 07-04-2017, 04:28 PM   #14
BW3

Massachusetts
when else fails read the posting instructions ....

We Try Again .... AND Victory !!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
P1020501.JPG   P1020503.JPG  

P1020506.JPG   P1020507.JPG  

P1020512.JPG   P1020515.JPG  

P1020535.JPG   P1020536.JPG  

P1020538.JPG   P1020537.JPG  

Old 07-04-2017, 04:32 PM   #15
BW3

Massachusetts
I know it looks rough , ...

but I just posted the worst of the lot I hope what I think is the better really is .. let the work begin ... list must do's wants and the dreams ..lol
Thanks All
bill g.

Tags
burro