Hi, I am Cherry - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2017, 02:43 PM   #1

Name: Cherry
Trailer: 1991 Zieman Fiberglass
Washington
Hi, I am Cherry

I live in the Spokane area of Washington. I've just purchased a 1991 Zieman fiberglass trailer. It is a motorcycle or atv hauler I plan to convert into a sleeper. Although the work won't start until later, I wanted to get started on the research to know exactly what to do. It's been a long awaited project, so I've already started gathering things. The only power it'll need is for a rooftop Fantastic Fan. Glad to find this site to get some help.
Attached Thumbnails
00i0i_cMKV7p78Olw_1200x900.jpg   00r0r_gAC4TRsp5sz_1200x900.jpg  

00101_k8ttd6XhbtO_1200x900.jpg  
hey_cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 03:01 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
A good site for conversion info is the tnttt forum (teardrops and tiny travel trailers). Some members there that have converted cargo trailers to campers. Lots of good build information there.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 03:15 PM   #3

Washington
Thanks, I can look there, too. I've already gotten some good info about insulation here.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:04 AM   #4

Name: BARNEY
Trailer: CASITA
Georgia
Hey cherry, take a look at reflectix insulation, 1/4" lauan plywood for cabinets and furniture, 2"x2" fur for framing[lite wt.] ,no nails, screws only with glue. Good luck!!! I am restoring a 1989 16' cassie.
BARNEYCONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 11:16 AM   #5

Name: T
Trailer: U-haul
Massachusetts
Best of luck with your build, can't wait to see how it turns out!
webbert2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 03:28 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Interesting project. Any thoughts whether or not you're going to put in an door or just stay with the big rigid awning?

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 04:01 PM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I will go against the grain here. Sell it and get a real camping trailer. You will be money ahead. You will end up going to a real camping trailer later anyway and you wont ruin a good little trailer built for a specific purpose. You are free to do what ever you want but I have been down this path before. Unless you need an ultra light covered bed because your towing with a Fiat or an old VW beetle.

What are you going to do load up the trailer with stuff and get to your campsite and set up a tent to put your stuff in the tent so you can make your bed to sleep? Put a wire mesh door on the back and you will have a people crate. You want something small look up little Joe trailers.

I wish you the best with your project and I hope it turns out great and works out well for you.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 11:03 PM   #8

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARNEYCONE View Post
Hey cherry, take a look at reflectix insulation, 1/4" lauan plywood for cabinets and furniture, 2"x2" fur for framing[lite wt.] ,no nails, screws only with glue. Good luck!!! I am restoring a 1989 16' cassie.
I'm only building a sleeper. It'll have a bed, with storage bins under. Not planning to add alot of weight. I do have some "total insulation ". It's foil on both sides and bubble wrap in the middle. The insulation factor depends on the air flow around it. I was reading a thread where they used closed cell foam mats on the walls. It actually sounds like a good idea.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:07 PM   #9

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Interesting project. Any thoughts whether or not you're going to put in an door or just stay with the big rigid awning?
It has the rear door, so that should be fine for my use.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:13 PM   #10

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
I will go against the grain here. Sell it and get a real camping trailer. You will be money ahead. You will end up going to a real camping trailer later anyway and you wont ruin a good little trailer built for a specific purpose. You are free to do what ever you want but I have been down this path before. Unless you need an ultra light covered bed because your towing with a Fiat or an old VW beetle.

What are you going to do load up the trailer with stuff and get to your campsite and set up a tent to put your stuff in the tent so you can make your bed to sleep? Put a wire mesh door on the back and you will have a people crate. You want something small look up little Joe trailers.

I wish you the best with your project and I hope it turns out great and works out well for you.
I'm not planning on doing a lot if camping in it. I don't want to travel with something bigger. This trailer has a 5x8 floor, which is perfect for a queen size bed. It's a bedroom on wheels...
Old 03-15-2017, 10:52 AM   #11

Name: J.
Trailer: Casita
Florida
I made a bed on wheels once out of a bike trailer, they work very well for that and are easily stripped back to a bike trailer when you go to sell. I even mounted a tiny AC unit and cheap inverter gen on mine.

Good Luck !
J.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:09 PM   #12

Washington
That's a good idea.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:29 PM   #13

Washington
I have an opportunity to get a cargo trailer instead of this fiberglass trailer. There are definitely advantages to using the cargo trailer. It's a 5x12 with a rear cargo doors and a side rv door. Much better layout and the added space would be good. It would still be a dry setup, very lightweight and basic.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:52 PM   #14

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
For what you're looking to do Cherry, both trailers would work out for you. But I think other than a bit more weight, the cargo trailer would be a better fit. The biggest reason is the side door is there, although from 99% of cargo trailers I've seen the door lock will have to be changed for inside use. IMHO, having to use the rear door on the FG rig would get old pretty fast and putting inside locks on that would be a pain . OK, that's my 2 cents worth.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 05:58 AM   #15

Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_cherry View Post
I'm not planning on doing a lot if camping in it. I don't want to travel with something bigger. This trailer has a 5x8 floor, which is perfect for a queen size bed. It's a bedroom on wheels...
Hey Cherry! I like the idea of keeping this smaller one if you are just doing a bedroom on wheels!!! Before we bought our FGRV we used a 1999 Tahoe 2 door as our camper/bedroom on wheels.

I got to my spot, slid the front bucket seats forward, folded down the back seat (it folded almost flush into the floor), took out the cooler, ezup, chairs, and spare tire, then blew up an air mattress and put it in the back! The air mattress was completely side to side, and front to back! People that looked in there couldn't believe how comfy it looked (and was) with the full bed and lots of comforters/pillows. I even ran a cube heater and camped in some pretty cold weather!

I still miss that EZ, weatherproof, take anywhere setup! Enjoy your adventures in that little trailer!!!
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 06:18 AM   #16

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Hi, I am Cherry

I'm still unclear as to the intended use of the trailer. You say it will be a "sleeper" but you're "not planning on doing a lot of camping in it." Where will you be parking and using it? How often? How much will you be towing it?

Issues like how much space you really need and what kind of door would work best depend on how you will use it. Access, security, safety, ventilation all have to be considered.

The Miti-Lite trailer, subject of a couple of current threads, has a flip-up door that can be opened and secured from the inside, so I'm guessing it's possible to make the little trailer work. 5x8 isn't much room, but a futon/jackknife bed would allow you to have a place to sit/eat a meal as well as sleep. With a little work, I think you could have something quite usable, and it sure is cute!

It's the sort of set-up I'd have been all over when I was single. Now that "I" is "we"- wife and 2 kids- we have a really big trailer: a Scamp 13!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:01 PM   #17

Washington
I agree. I've had various rvs and have always wanted to build a sleeper. Opening the rear hatch would be an inconvenience. If I have a side door and rear door, I can put up a wall in the rear and have a little storage closet. It would be a great place to store chairs and such. I have pop up screen tents and privacy tents if needed.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:57 AM   #18

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I'm still unclear as to the intended use of the trailer. You say it will be a "sleeper" but you're "not planning on doing a lot of camping in it." Where will you be parking and using it? How often? How much will you be towing it?

Issues like how much space you really need and what kind of door would work best depend on how you will use it. Access, security, safety, ventilation all have to be considered.

The Miti-Lite trailer, subject of a couple of current threads, has a flip-up door that can be opened and secured from the inside, so I'm guessing it's possible to make the little trailer work. 5x8 isn't much room, but a futon/jackknife bed would allow you to have a place to sit/eat a meal as well as sleep. With a little work, I think you could have something quite usable, and it sure is cute!

It's the sort of set-up I'd have been all over when I was single. Now that "I" is "we"- wife and 2 kids- we have a really big trailer: a Scamp 13!
I like to take my own bed along on road trips. It makes things much easier with my little dogs. The bed would always be setup for sleeping and not be put away. I'll try to get a layout posted.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:05 AM   #19

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWScarab View Post
Hey Cherry! I like the idea of keeping this smaller one if you are just doing a bedroom on wheels!!! Before we bought our FGRV we used a 1999 Tahoe 2 door as our camper/bedroom on wheels.

I got to my spot, slid the front bucket seats forward, folded down the back seat (it folded almost flush into the floor), took out the cooler, ezup, chairs, and spare tire, then blew up an air mattress and put it in the back! The air mattress was completely side to side, and front to back! People that looked in there couldn't believe how comfy it looked (and was) with the full bed and lots of comforters/pillows. I even ran a cube heater and camped in some pretty cold weather!

I still miss that EZ, weatherproof, take anywhere setup! Enjoy your adventures in that little trailer!!!
Sounds cozy. I like being able to pull over anytime/anywhere and get some sleep. I think I like the 5x12 cargo trailer the best. It's only 4ft longer and I can have a rear storage closet (accessible from the outside rear door). The side door will make it very convenient. It's nice to be able to fit in small spaces, too.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:36 AM   #20

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Here's what a friend did on his cargo trailer conversion; just inside the rear swinging doors he built a wall with a small door to one side, looks just like a miniature house door. That little door is his access into the trailer. He made a couple of curved bows to go across the top of the swinging doors to connect them and hold them at a right angle to the trailer (swung open 90 degrees ) He puts a tarp over the top and secures it to the doors to make a sheltered entryway. I don't remember if his trailer has a side door, I think not. He did put in a couple side windows
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote