Hi I am Debbie in Florida - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2018, 02:46 PM   #1

Name: Debra
Trailer: Casita 2019
FL
Hi I am Debbie in Florida

I just signed up and have already learned a great deal from site. I plan to buy a small trailer within the next six months or so and have been looking at SCAMPS and the Caritas so far, but am just beginning my research. I will be coming to you all as I continue but here are some questions I have already:

1. Towing is a bit daunting to me, especially since I am used to driving a smaller car. I realize I will need a bigger tow vehicle, which I will decide on after I make a decision on brand of trailer. How can I make towing easier? What are some factors to consider in purchasing a trailer or towing vehicle? Have you heard of any place that gives lesson? I have contacted local driving schools but no luck so far.

2. Why have you chosen a fiberglass RV? What are the benefits over other types?

3. I know rallies are one way to view different models, or visiting camp and RV sites, but if any of you live relatively near Melbourne Florida and have a small (13-18 foot) fiber glass trailer you would be willing to show me, please write me a private email. I would be much obliged to see it and talk to you in person.

Feel free to reply to any one or all questions! There will be more. Thank you! I expect to be an active member and so look forward to getting my trailer and start camping by year's end.

Best,

Debbie in Florida
Debbie in Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:37 PM   #2

Name: Tony
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
Registry
Welcome Debbie!
RV Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:48 PM   #3

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Hi Debbie,
Scamp Camp at Highlands Hammock in Sebring from February 12-16. Lots of fiberglass trailers, many brands with lots of people willing to let you view them. I will be in site 125. I would suggest you take a trip over from Melbourne.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 05:34 PM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Sounds like you are carefully and logically approaching the purchase. Thats good.

I'll address one thing.. the new vehicle purchase. You dont need to so much decide on a make as you need to decide on a weight-class of trailer, with a little additional thought to specifics such as tongue weight and Gross Combined Vehicle Weight rating for the new vehicle. A Scamp 13, 16 or a smaller Casita would be in one class of lighter trailer and a Bigfoot 21 footer at the higher end, speaking of Fiberglass trailers only. Please don't push the limits.. leave yourself a good margin for more demanding conditions.

We always refer people to a database of FB campers that were weighed in use, so that the weights were realistic. See:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html
and a nice spreadsheet that lets you sort the data:
http://lakeshoreimages.com/spreadsheets/Weight.xls

Also the Trailer Life magazine Towing Guides will help you select candidate vehicles:
Trailer Towing Guides | How Much Can You Pull | How to tow safely | www.trailerlife.com

And I like Consumer Reports for reliability stats (even if it is not a scientific study).

Backing is the hardest part of towing, and a big parking lot is a good place to practice. Even borrowing a small utility trailer might help, before moving on to something larger. In fact backing a short trailer is harder than backing a longer trailer, so once you get the hang of the shorter one.. it should be easy to go longer.

And Plus1 for going to Sebring, as well as calling the companies for local owners who show off they campers (often in exchange for a small payment if the referral results in a sale).
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 06:15 PM   #5

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
Welcome! I think you will enjoy the FG campers. They tend to be lighter, and easier to tow, with the shape being a little better than the box. I hadn't towed much, and never something bigger than a small utility trailer, but it really isn't that hard. I would suggest to start slowly, know that the TV will react differently than it did before, and will make noises it didn't, but after you have driven a little you begin to feel what is normal and what it will be like. I still try to put myself in places where I don't have a lot of backing up to do, but even that will get easier with practice.

Don't be afraid to ask questions here, there are a lot of people who will help with opinions.
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 08:31 PM   #6

Name: julie
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Alabama
Just for starters, I had not towed before & bought a 16’ scamp 1989. Learned a lot then moved to a 17’ Escape. Tow w a 2012 4Runner. All is good with this combo. Travel solo w 2 doggies.
julmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:21 AM   #7

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Colorado
Welcome to the group!

You might want to look at HappierCamper.com’s new Fiberglass campers. They seem to be relatively light and the claim they make is they can be towed by “most cars”. If so, you might not need to change your present vehicle...
ckayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 12:31 PM   #8

Name: M
Trailer: Currently shopping
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie in Florida View Post
I just signed up and have already learned a great deal from site. I plan to buy a small trailer within the next six months or so and have been looking at SCAMPS and the Caritas so far, but am just beginning my research. I will be coming to you all as I continue but here are some questions I have already:

1. Towing is a bit daunting to me, especially since I am used to driving a smaller car. I realize I will need a bigger tow vehicle, which I will decide on after I make a decision on brand of trailer. How can I make towing easier? What are some factors to consider in purchasing a trailer or towing vehicle? Have you heard of any place that gives lesson? I have contacted local driving schools but no luck so far.
Hi Debbie,
As for driving a travel trailer, there are quite a few posts here that will help. Here are a few:

How to drive your RV like a pro:

Tips on How to Tow a Trailer: https://www.etrailer.com/faq-trailertowtips.aspx

For Beginners, How to Back-up your Trailer:

Have fun!
Maryellen
lewisma9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 12:45 PM   #9

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Many people are attracted to molded fiberglass trailers because they are much more durable than their stick built cousins. Of course, they also cost a lot more, and they tend to be narrower and shorter than stickies, which makes space inside a premium.

Check out the people selling trailers that are 30 years old or even older. This is relatively unique to molded trailers. And if you think some of the rebuilds are a lot of work, go to a vintage tin can camper event sometime. You will see what people go through to restore old stickies, its really amazing amount of work.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:57 PM   #10

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hi Debbie,

Welcome! Wishing you the best with your egg hunt and search for a tow vehicle. We had never RVed or towed until we purchased our '05 Casita 17' FD in 2016. Do your homework, start with some local camping, and learn along the way. It looks like folks are giving you some specific information as well. You will get it and will have a blast along the way.

Happy Camping,

Dean
Old 01-29-2018, 02:41 PM   #11

Name: Dano
Trailer: Winnebago
Florida
Hello fellow Brevard County person,

I considered casita - do not know if it still an option, but years ago from their website they offered a way to see casita's that had been purchased and were based locally. We looked at one on Merritt Island and had a nice chat with the owners

I just checked their website and found: Find a Casita Near You! | Casita Travel Trailers - America's Favorite Lightweight Travel Trailers!

I have a winnebago warrior built on toyota chassis and was thinking of a trailer. Of course there are pros and cons to a trailer versus small motorhome.

We were concerned about the limited storage. Our Toy has a quite a bit more.

My wife has passed away and even solo I am concerned about space/ storage. Maybe some real fiberglass folks will pipe in on that...

take care and happy travels! Danny at the Cape
DanoFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 03:48 PM   #12

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Get in touch with me via private message and I will try to get you to look at my Lil Snoozy. (Small Travel Trailer | Small Campers | Lil Snoozy) I love It! Lake Placid is close to Sebring and my trailer is stored a little north of Highlands Hammock SP
Old 02-06-2018, 11:53 AM   #13

FL
thank you for the welcome!
Old 02-06-2018, 11:57 AM   #14

FL
Hi. Thanks for the suggestion. I have already planned a camping/star party for that exact time! But, perhaps I can get by for a few hours. I will have to check out the map. I will look for you if I make it. Much obliged. Debbie
Old 02-06-2018, 12:07 PM   #15

FL
Hey Gordon, thank you for all your great advice. Much obliged.Please let me know that you get/see this if you do not mind. I am learning this site and hope I am doing it correctly as I am not seeing my replies so far. Deb
Old 02-06-2018, 12:08 PM   #16

FL
Thanks for the encouragement Eric! Much obliged and much needed. Debbie
Old 02-06-2018, 12:11 PM   #17

FL
Thanks for encouragement. I may get a doggie at some point as well since I am solo also. Debbie
Old 02-06-2018, 12:11 PM   #18

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Florida
Hi Debbie in Florida, my wife is also a Debbie in Florida!

There is another fiberglass trailer rally March 23-26 at Silver River State Park near Ocala, not a bad drive from Brevard County. Come on over! People love to show off their eggs.
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:14 PM   #19

FL
Hello there Mary Ellen. Thank you for the great links! Happy Trails. Debbie
Old 02-06-2018, 12:18 PM   #20

FL
Hi DeBreeze, that is not a bad drive. Expecting company that weekend but should be able to drive by for the day. Will you be there. Love to see your Casita. I am leaning toward one but still want to do more research. Are you happy with it? Any advice? Thanks. Debbie and hi to your wife Debbie as well.