Hi I am Ed - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2016, 05:50 PM   #1

Name: Ed
Trailer: Hunter Compact
Arizona
Registry
Newbie with questions about Hunter Compact 2

I am a newbie.....And I just inherited a Hunter Compact 2. I would like to know where I can get parts for it as I am going to Restore it. And how do I restore the fiberglass or do I just clean it? And with what do I restore it with . And what is safe for cleaning fiberglass? I'm sorry if that is too many questions but I'm very new to this......Ed
couldahadav8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:15 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome,Ed!

Some more details about the repairs that need to be done with pictures would help. I'd start with running gear so you can tow safely: tires, bearings, and lights. Make sure to check dates on the tires. Trailer tires usually age out (6-7 years) before they wear out.

But for now cleaning up the trailer is a good start. Bar Keepers Friend, a very mild scouring agent, works well to clean up the fiberglass. Buy the liquid if you can find it, but if not you can turn the powder into a thin paste with water.

Once the exterior is thoroughly clean, you can go several routes to restore some degree of gloss. Cheapest is regular automotive paste wax. It will bring back a dull shine, not a high gloss, but it will protect the fiberglass. The first time you may want to do several coats, and buffing out will be difficult because the surface is rough and somewhat porous. After that if you keep up it gets easier. I wax twice a year, spring and fall.

A step up is marine wax from 3M or Maguires. Better shine and longer-lasting, but still won't be a high gloss finish like new gelcoat.

For that, many folks use a liquid floor wax. I forgot the specific product names, but I'm sure others will chime in. It give a true high gloss and can last 1-3 seasons depending on climate. But it has to be stripped when you redo it.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:42 AM   #3

Arizona
Registry
Thank you so much, Jon in az. You really helped a lot with the suggestions on how to clean the fiberglass. Now I know what products to look for. Again thank you Ed in az
Old 04-22-2016, 11:55 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
3M sells a line of marine restoration/polish/wax/ products. You choose how aggressive you want the product to be.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=3m+re...JorejwO6mLfYAg
Old 04-22-2016, 01:15 PM   #5

Arizona
Registry
Thank you Glenn. I am in my first couple days of starting to go over the whole trailer. To see what it needs. That sounds like the product I might need to use. I sure do appreciate the time you took to write me with that information. I need all the help I can get. Thanks.....Ed

« Hello | Wheels »