Hi i am from North Port, Florida - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2017, 07:46 AM   #1

Name: Jane
Trailer: 17' Casita SD
Florida
Hi i am from North Port, Florida

Hi everyone, my retired military wife and I just purchased a used 2006 Casita SD. We're currently cleaning it up and preparing for our first camping trip with it. We haven't planned anything yet, but suggestions are welcome. Thanks for letting us join!
Jane in FLORIDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:49 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
welcome

howdy howdy glad to have you here

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:56 AM   #3

Name: MURRAY
Trailer: Ventura
British Columbia (BC)
Hello Jane
Welcome
I am also a new member here.
You will really like your Casita.
Go and ENJOY
Murrayc
MurrayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 10:08 AM   #4

Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Jane; plenty of state parks in Florida to try. We like Stephen Foster, Fort Clinch, Gamble Rogers, Henderson Beach and Sebastian Inlet. We will be at the Florida Corps of Engineer parks in December and January with our '96 SD 17. There are still a few sites open in early December at Ortona COE. Being retired military gets you in the military campgrounds that I hear are inexpensive and nice.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:44 AM   #5

Name: Cheryl
Trailer: Casita
Florida
Hi Jane,

I'm in Pine Island, St. James City. We just bought a 17' Casita as well. For Thanksgiving we will be heading to Manatee Springs and then on to the St. George Island State Park. It will be our first adventure. However, we did spend the night in it once when we evacuated for Irma. We drove to Stewart and experienced high winds there anyway.

Maybe we will see you some day..

Cheryl
cherylbredin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:32 PM   #6

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Florida
Hi Jane, greetings from Miami!

Lots of great camping in FL, especially with the weather about to turn cooler. We love the state parks, the ones down here especially get busy in winter so make sure to reserve in advance if you have dates in mind.

There's a fiberglass rally in March at Silver River SP near Ocala, you should be able to find more info on the rally map on this forum. We will be there.
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:55 PM   #7

Name: Jane
Trailer: 17' Casita SD
Florida
Thanks, we've camped at the military bases before and enjoyed ourselves. We are looking forward to being able to camp "during winter". Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome, I hope we do get to meet you all in our travels. Thanks for the tips!��
Jane in FLORIDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:45 PM   #8

Missouri
welcome

welcome from Missouri

good luck

bob
Old 10-19-2017, 10:52 AM   #9

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
Fort DeSoto County Park!
It's a beautiful place!
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 05:15 PM   #10
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Welcome Jane!
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 09:12 AM   #11

Name: Horace
Trailer: Casita 17 SD
Florida
Hi Jane. Third try at response. Guess I am a bit posting challenged. Wife and I live across the Myakka from main city of North Port. We are down in the "woods" off South River road in a remote subdivision on a couple of acres between the state forest and the river. We own a 17' SD and love our Casita "most days" when traveling.

FiberglassRV is a great site with excellent technical help and great folks on the site.

True it is the Northern Visitor season is upon us. Our only campsite recommendation this time of year would be to invest in a good portable generator to open up your campsite options with smaller municipal sites available in many areas of the state. Lots of good sites in the Panhandle and on both coasts - just need to be fully self contained to pleasurably occupy many of them, which a Casita does most excellently for a few days at a time. We find we can do about a week, then we need to find an appropriate dump station.

Kindest Regards and hope you have many great adventures in the trailer less known and on the road less traveled.
HRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:08 AM   #12

Missouri
I even stumpled on a military park in Lake Ozark Mo. you cant see it posted on the road anywhere I saw it while boating.

bob
Old 11-06-2017, 03:53 PM   #13

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Avon Park Airbase
The nice rv camp is for retired military. The other campground is the one we go to.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:02 PM   #14

Name: jon
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' SD
Illinois
My wife and I enjoy the more rustic and primitive campgrounds around the Ocala and Apalachicola National Forest areas. Numerous campgrounds and more isolated than the FL state parks. Just depends what you are looking for. We will be down in the panhandle and northern FL for the winter. Hope you have good travels and perhaps our paths will cross.
jon carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote