Hi I am Jane - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2017, 03:24 PM   #1

Name: Jane
Trailer: in the market for Casita
Ohio
Cool Hi I am Jane

Hi, I am Jane and I am happy to join this group. Hope to purchase a Casita but still doing research. My boyfriend and I want to travel when we retire in about a year. There is so much we need to know as we are newbies so I'm hoping to learn from the other members.
jkossin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 03:44 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkossin View Post
Hi, I am Jane and I am happy to join this group. Hope to purchase a Casita but still doing research. My boyfriend and I want to travel when we retire in about a year. There is so much we need to know as we are newbies so I'm hoping to learn from the other members.
There's lots of reasons to want a travel trailer, traveling is one. However before you spend the money I suggest you rent a small trailer, I'm sure there's some close to you, not fiberglass but it doesn't matter. Take a week's trip and see how you manage in a small space. There's lots of things to consider.
Do you like open spaces with dark skys without close neighbors or do you prefer well lit spaces with close neighbors?
Are you afraid to walk a few feet outside to the toilet?
Is a daily shower important to you? Or are you willing to find other ways of personel hygiene?
Do you have pets that you want to take along? If so you might want to read National Park and other campground rules pertaining to pets.

Jumping into the camping crowd without having camped a lot is risky. My wife and I backpacked, and car camped since you little children. We started our kids out the same way then inturn did the same with their kids. Camping can be cold, miserable, and wet at times. Always there's dirt. All that said, if you enjoy being out and watching nature including the grass grow, water rolling over rocks, finding new things to see and do then maybe it's for you.
Old 09-28-2017, 04:07 PM   #3

Name: Jane
Trailer: in the market for Casita
Ohio
Cool Thank you for your insights

Hi Byron, We did boating (called it our floating condo) for many yrs. and owned trailer on Lake Erie that we used every weekend. Have a 2009 Harley that we tour Ohio. Love the outdoors and the night sky and a glowing campfire. We have both tent camped in our younger years and are ready to jump back in but we can't sleep on the ground anymore lol. Our fur babies have all crossed the rainbow and we have no children. We really want to see our beautiful state parks (been to Glacier Natl. Park) but we need to explore this big beautiful country. We figure we have about 10 good years left to get this done before we start to fall apart.
jkossin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 04:12 PM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Best of luck! I just retired from full time work and my wife will probably work another 3-4 years. We go to Florida for two weeks each winter now ( her winter break from the university) and try to get out 6-8 weekends during the summer and fall. We hope to spend 3-4 months down south each winter when she retires and do other traveling up north when the weather is good. We love our Bigfoot Silver Cloud and know you will find just the right trailer for you!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 04:58 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Welcome Jane. If you want to take the Harley with you on your travels, then you could do as we do and use a pick-up truck with an 8' bed...the bike goes in there via ramps and a winch, and we pull our Lil Snoozy behind it, or you could purchase a Toyhauler for the bike and your living quarters when the bike is removed.
As a retired ICU RN I would highly recommend that you and your significant other get all the power of attornys (Medical, Durable, etc.) paperwork in order first, and have living wills made out. Unexpected things happen in the blink of an eye.
Happy Trails
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 05:18 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Hi Byron, We did boating (called it our floating condo) for many yrs. and owned trailer on Lake Erie that we used every weekend. Have a 2009 Harley that we tour Ohio. Love the outdoors and the night sky and a glowing campfire. We have both tent camped in our younger years and are ready to jump back in but we can't sleep on the ground anymore lol. Our fur babies have all crossed the rainbow and we have no children. We really want to see our beautiful state parks (been to Glacier Natl. Park) but we need to explore this big beautiful country. We figure we have about 10 good years left to get this done before we start to fall apart.

By all means go for it. We've enjoyed our Scamp for the past 12 years. We were camping in a backpacking tent and found it more and more difficult to get dressed laying on our backs. Then the Scamp. Enjoy.
Old 09-28-2017, 07:26 PM   #7

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
We have both tent camped in our younger years and are ready to jump back in but we can't sleep on the ground anymore lol.
Now where have I heard that before?

Exactly the reason we purchased our trailer, after tent camping for many years. It's even why we named it what we did.

I'd say go for it. Find a floor plan and a manufacturer your happy with and get out there. We are so happy we did this while we have decades (hopefully) left to enjoy it.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:20 PM   #8

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
We really want to see our beautiful state parks (been to Glacier Natl. Park) but we need to explore this big beautiful country. We figure we have about 10 good years left to get this done before we start to fall apart.
Very sound reasoning there for sure. We are retired as well.

IF AT ALL POSSIBLE, GO TO A molded F/G trailer rally! Its the one way to see all the brands, talk to owners, and make a more educated decision. Floorplan, floorplan, floorplan! Then storage, storage, storage. Things like can be both change clothes at the same time, is there a place to sit without taking up the bed, how does the bed size compare to the bed at home, etc.

We went to a rally AFTER we bought our camper, and realized the one we owned at the time was not the right choice for us (and of course, saw exactly what we should have bought). Rather than feeling stuck with our mistake, we sold the trailer and bought the one we should have bought the first time.

I've seen a lot of people make the decision on what trailer to buy based on what they can tow with their current car. I think this is a mistake. Most of the time, their current car was purchased without considering towing duties, and it may be very limited in its capability. Instead, figure out what trailer fits YOU best, and then make a change in tow vehicle if necessary.

Weekend trips are totally different than month long trips. What works just great on a weekend space wise may be unbearable on long trips. When we worked for a living, we were weekend campers. Now that we are retired, trips are typically about a month long.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 06:15 PM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
hello and welcome jane

Glad to have you here and pleased to meet you. I posted a method I use to find things you should find it pretty simple and works.

I try to buy used I am cheap and usually have to spend a few bux to get it where I want it.

good luck in your search and adventrures.

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:12 AM   #10

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Welcome. I too have camped all my life and I'm beyond tents on the ground. I used to daydream about Mark's Fulltime RV Adventure, archived at Welcome to Mark's Fulltime RV Resource , before he went to work for Escapees. I am way past wanting a big fifth wheel. I have a Sprinter I can stay in and later tow with.

I believe strongly in fiberglass. They tend to be smaller than some trailers, thus easier to tow, they last longer, and resell better.
You appear to have the appropriate mindset, which is, the trailer is not to live in, but to live out of. Enjoy.

Oh, don't expect to hang a Harley off any fiberglass trailer. I agree put it in the pickup bed.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 01:51 PM   #11

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Either that or consider an Aspen motorcycle camper...(1st choice when I started thinking about retirement back in my 40s!)

« Ellen | Hi I am »