Hi, I am Jennifer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2017, 04:48 PM   #1

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: Currently looking
Vermont
Hi, I am Jennifer

Hi Folks,

Been lurking awhile and wanted to come into the light to say hello and introduce myself. I’m Jennifer. My partner, Drea, and I are in the market for a FG trailer. We have a 13-year-old daughter who will be camping with us for the next five years or so until she’s off in college. We were (and still are!) very drawn to the 13 foot Scamps, but suspect the three of us wouldn’t be happy in such a small space for long periods of time. We were fortunate enough to be able to stop by the New England Spring Fling in NH a few weeks ago, and we met some great folks and toured many fine trailers. We left there feeling like a 16 foot Scamp would meet our needs nicely. We don’t feel like we need a bathroom. We’ve been tent campers and went cross country in a 1971 VW camper (though this was pre-kid) and feel like most of the places we’d be camping have toilets and showers that we don’t mind making the trek to. That said, we haven’t totally ruled it out, especially after meeting some folks at the rally and hearing about how much they LOVED their bathrooms. We’re planning to do a lot of short weekend to one week trips around New England (lots of great spots here in Vermont and we love Maine, Cape Cod and anything near a beach!) and I have a fantasy of doing a much longer road trip next summer to some national parks out west for my 50th birthday. I’ve been in touch with Wayne, a salesman at Scamp, and thinking about pulling the trigger and ordering a 16 foot, leaning toward layout 3, but considering 4. As I understand it, we can put down a deposit and place the order, and if a used trailer comes up before they start building, I can cancel and get a full refund. We’re currently shopping for a tow vehicle (which will make running out and picking up a used trailer much more feasible!) Anyway, that’s us and where we’re at. So thrilled to be a part of this community. I’ve been learning a lot already and we really enjoyed meeting so many great folks at the rally in NH!
Jennifer in VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:47 PM   #2

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I'm much older than you, in fact my younger son just turned 50, so I may have different bathroom needs than you do but when my wife was still alive, having
Our own bathroom along has saved both of us some real grief many times over.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:03 PM   #3

Name: Bob
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Georgia
Since you say you're thinking of a Layout 4, you may want to look at the responses I got in this thread.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...6-a-78469.html
I did recently get into a Layout 4 and moved around a bit on the seat as though showering (definitely a sit down). Doable, but I'd expect to be using the campground's shower if at all convenient; b it'd be easier if I were smaller.
FishingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:57 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
As long as your bladder capacity is such that you can sleep through the night without a tree to the loo, a no bath option should do you fine.
Us old timers on the other hand need to convenience.
Or, you could get a porta-potty for the occasional in Scamp use.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 10:32 AM   #5

Name: Jim
Trailer: Burro
California
I made a shower from an insect sprayer (Google “How To Make A Weed Sprayer Camping Shower”)which you fill with warm water from your stove, and I bought a shower tent (Google “ Portable Pop Up Pod Dressing/Changing Tent”) and it all works great for taking a shower. We have a PortaPottie just in case we need it, but so far we have never needed it due to nearby campground bathrooms (or bushes). So for me, a bathroom would be a waste of space.
jgilardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 10:56 AM   #6

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Colorado
I'm just home from a six week trip where I used a small changing tent outside my Trillium. I set it up at each stop to avoid the midnight trip to the campground washrooms. I put a portapotty in the tent and an aluminium hot water tank pan. The pan served as my shower floor. I used a bucket of warm water and a small battery powered shower pump for showering when the campground showers didn't measure up to my standards (ie. clean, hot water) or were missing entirely. Worked well for my partner and myself!
ckayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 03:02 PM   #7

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Two requirements my wife had on our first molded trailer was a toilet and air conditioning.

When we got our second molded trailer, we added a place to sit separate from the bed to our requirement list.

We tend to take long trips, we are currently on a month long trip, so features that might not be required for a short trip quickly become requirements! We are close to six thousand miles on this trip and will end up over eight thousand.

We took a 3 1/2 week trip in our Casita, no place to sit. When the weather was bad, the lack of a place to sit became a real problem.

As far as showers I always use the ones in the campground. Showering in a molded trailer is really tight. No thanks. If someone needs a bathroom at night, traipsing off to the bathroom in the middle of the night can be a major PITA. Realize campgrounds don't always have bathrooms located convenient to your campsite. Add foul weather to the mix.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 03:38 PM   #8

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
It was so nice to meet the three of you at the Rally and sounds like you had a good time and learned alot while looking at the trailers.
Sure hope to see you at the 2nd annual Spring Fling next year in May.
Haven't yet set the date but keep posted and it will be there as soon as I get the ducks all in a row.
Gerry
Host @ Spring Fling in New England
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 01:42 PM   #9

Vermont
Thanks so much for the welcome and everyone's input! Still on the fence about the bathroom (but leaning away from it). If we don't get a bathroom, we'll definitely bring a port-a-potty along for middle of the night emergencies. We definitely want/need the rear couch/bunks for a sleeping space, so a side bath (small as it may be) would be the only one that would work for us. Still mulling...

Right now, the plan is to hurry up and get a tow vehicle so we can jump on any previously loved trailers that pop up now that we're getting clearer on what we're actually looking for. Thanks again for all your input -- it's very much appreciated!
Old 05-26-2017, 01:43 PM   #10

Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
It was so nice to meet the three of you at the Rally and sounds like you had a good time and learned alot while looking at the trailers.
Sure hope to see you at the 2nd annual Spring Fling next year in May.
Haven't yet set the date but keep posted and it will be there as soon as I get the ducks all in a row.
Gerry
Host @ Spring Fling in New England
It was so great to meet you, too, Gerry! Thanks for being so welcoming! And if we've got a trailer by next May, we'll definitely be at the Spring Fling!