Hi! I am Jessie owner of Mae West - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2015, 11:00 AM   #1

Name: Jessie & Carl
Trailer: Scamp her name is Mae West
Missouri
Hi! I am Jessie owner of Mae West

I thought I posted here when I 1st joined, but it seems not!
We bought an '84 19'fw Scamp in April of 2015. It seemed a fair deal, but after purchase, and the upgrades we did, it was an adequate deal. Not unhappy, but we just did not have enough knowledge at the time.
We purchased Mae West in KY, drove her home to MO with a small, '88 toyota (the po used a small ford I think). We thought the small truck was adequate, and really, Truck did a fine job, but my dh Carl was concerned at the age and reliabilty. So we traded in Bluebird, our hybrid Sonata for a Toyota Tundra, and though the gas mileage difference really stinks, Bluebird could not help us in our endeavor!
We named the Tundra (I name many inanimate objects in our life, my weaving & twining looms for example) Lennie.
The Scamp was named Mae West because she is very curvy, and Mae was a bit of a scamp! Lennie was so named because I discovered that Jerry Orbach in real life was Mae's chauffeur for a period of time. Jerry is not a great name for a truck, but the character he played in Law & Order, Lennie seemed just right!
I will be putting a vinyl saying on Mae in the near future "the shortest distance between two points is a curve", and Mae West on her tire cover, so you will know it is us as we pass you on the highways and byways!!
Not sure they attached, but I tried to put pictures of Truck and Lennie pulling Mae.
We also raised Mae by 8" to allow for the taller truck, and put on a new gooseneck system. So, we have the original hitch attachment for sale if anyone needs one!
JessieJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 01:51 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Tony
Trailer: Dutchman
Massachusetts
Thank you for joining the forum Jessie, it's great to have you here

Tony
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 03:01 PM   #3

Name: Herman & Ann
Trailer: Casita SD
Pensacola Florida
Welcome Jessie hope to see you on the road someday maybe at the Scamp Camp at Sebring in Feb.
Herman M Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 10:21 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Naming things

We sold our Fiat Spyder to a fellow from England and he named her "Gina" for Gina Lollobrigida because they both are Italian.

The photo is Gina in Portugal where he has a vacation home.

Notice we picked up his habit and have named both Homelet and Rosie.

BTW: Welcome to FGRV.
Attached Thumbnails
C020 1991 Gina in Portugal.jpg  

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 12:01 AM   #5

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Starting out is not the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessieJanet View Post
I thought I posted here when I 1st joined, but it seems not!
We bought an '84 19'fw Scamp in April of 2015. It seemed a fair deal, but after purchase, and the upgrades we did, it was an adequate deal. Not unhappy, but we just did not have enough knowledge at the time.
We purchased Mae West in KY, drove her home to MO with a small, '88 toyota (the po used a small ford I think). We thought the small truck was adequate, and really, Truck did a fine job, but my dh Carl was concerned at the age and reliabilty. So we traded in Bluebird, our hybrid Sonata for a Toyota Tundra, and though the gas mileage difference really stinks, Bluebird could not help us in our endeavor!
We named the Tundra (I name many inanimate objects in our life, my weaving & twining looms for example) Lennie.
The Scamp was named Mae West because she is very curvy, and Mae was a bit of a scamp! Lennie was so named because I discovered that Jerry Orbach in real life was Mae's chauffeur for a period of time. Jerry is not a great name for a truck, but the character he played in Law & Order, Lennie seemed just right!
I will be putting a vinyl saying on Mae in the near future "the shortest distance between two points is a curve", and Mae West on her tire cover, so you will know it is us as we pass you on the highways and byways!!
Not sure they attached, but I tried to put pictures of Truck and Lennie pulling Mae.
We also raised Mae by 8" to allow for the taller truck, and put on a new gooseneck system. So, we have the original hitch attachment for sale if anyone needs one!
: for anyone but your getting there. If you ever want to see the original Mae West MH it is in the Elkhart RV museum will worth seeing the trailers, MH's etc in there, they really roughed it in the early days but today were really spoiled as we sure as heck do not have to rough it much.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote