Hi I am John David - Travel trailer wannabe - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-16-2015, 04:46 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: Shopping
British Columbia
Hi I am John David - Travel trailer wannabe

My wife and I are looking at trailering starting next year. We've sorted thru the motorhome/fifth wheel/trailer puzzle and feel that trailering is our thing. Now we are looking at what trailer to get. We want no unexposed wood, no seams in the roof and a good prevention of water ingress. Our Nissan Xterra has a tow limit of 5000 so I think a trailer dry weight of around 3000-3500 is max. I would like to be able to take it on back roads with some roughness to them so higher off the ground is good as long as towing capability doesn't suffer.
For amenities we need a queen bed , shower/toilet, kitchen and dinette.

Currently looking at the escape 19 but what else is out there that's been field tested and passed?

John
John David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 04:58 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Welcome! Escape makes good trailers.

Li'l Snoozy (made in South Carolina) also has a queen bed and all that you listed. The shell is sturdy, and with a higher-than-standard axle it could go just about anyplace.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 05:18 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry

check out the video of the Lil Snoozy here.
Small Travel Trailer: Camper: Smoakin Concepts Composites
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 05:28 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
You will have a number of choices and many suggestions. Your choice of an Escape 19 will be hard to improve upon. I would suggest you come to a Fiberglass trailer event, there you can have tours of a number of manufacturers and sizes and talk with the owners to see what would work best for you.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 09:24 AM   #5

British Columbia
Thanks

Thanks for all the replies. looks like some good options out there!
Old 04-17-2015, 09:33 AM   #6

Name: Gerry
Trailer: Triple E
British Columbia
Also look for inside and outside storage areas. The more you travel the more items you will want to take along with you.
Ie: camp chairs, fold up table, lantern, camp cook stove, spare propane bottles, cook ware, plates, utensils etc.etc.
Gerry Kiernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 11:06 AM   #7

Name: Tim
Trailer: boler
Ontario
I was out in BC last Sept and took a tour of the Escape trailer factory. If you have the opportunity, go and have a look see yourself. I was impressed. It will also show you how most of the other fiberglass trailers are put together. I have a 13ft boler and after taking it all apart, there isn't much difference other than the modern stuff. Toilets, showers etc. They will also build yours with the accessories that you want. worth a look.
slimmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 11:27 AM   #8

British Columbia
Escape Trailers

Yes, Escape trailers is about 6 hrs away from my home. There is a show in Osooyoos in May that I intend to get to.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:24 PM   #9

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
There are some other, smaller options of fiberglass trailers with queen beds and otherwise fully equipped and good reputation. One is a 17' Casita, the Liberty Deluxe model. Another is the Parkliner. Both are very nice, but of course depends on your needs/wants.

Walt
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 11:23 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Lots of Escapes will be at the May rally. A 21 loaded for the road comes in around 3800-4000, so you're still in the safe zone with your tow. The 21 is also just enough wider than the 19 for two people to pass each other in the aisle.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 05:10 AM   #11

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Lots of Escapes will be at the May rally. A 21 loaded for the road comes in around 3800-4000, so you're still in the safe zone with your tow. The 21 is also just enough wider than the 19 for two people to pass each other in the aisle.
I got a smile our of two people being to pass in the aisle in an Escape 21. The distance between the counters in our Scamp 16 is 36 inches, ample for two people to pass.

Life is good when little things improve every day.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 05:49 AM   #12
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Your Nissan Xterra has good power and is reliable but you will need a properly set up WDH (weight distributing hitch) for your trailer. It is the fine details that will keep you stable at highway speed.

Good luck with your trailer search. We always enjoyed the process of looking.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:08 AM   #13

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
John, there is a Fiberglass meet being held at Fort Langley on May 22 -24th if you stopped by on the Saturday you could tour a number of different trailer brands. Cant say for sure what brands will be there as everyone is registering directly with the park only this year but I can tell you there were 32 fiberglass trailers registered as of March 1 and that there will be at least one Scamp 16', lots of Bolers of different sizes, a trillium Outback, a Bigger, a Bigfoot or two and normally an Escape or two. (Edit to say there will be at least one Escape 17' present).

Although I personally don't think you can go wrong if you where to go with the Escape. ;-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote