Hi I Am June - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2017, 10:37 AM   #1

Name: June
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Georgia
Hi I Am June

Hello Fiberglass RVers!
My longtime home is in Alabama, but I will always be a GeorgiaGirl at heart. I've lurked forever - here and numerous blogs. My wanderlust torments me, and I've fallen in love with the rv lifestyle idea and the fiberglass trailers in particular. I am researching trailers and tow vehicles, with the hope of a purchase maybe next year - or whenever I figure out the right rig and find it.
I am eagerly anticipating the Eggs on the Hiawassee Rally coming up in May in Georgia. I can hardly wait to visit my ole stompin' grounds, see a wide variety of fiberglass rvs, and meet some of you.
This is a fabulous forum, and I am glad to finally be an official member.
June
GeorgiaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:20 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Welcome Julie and that's a great idea to go to a rally to get ideas on just what you want for yourself.
Some are going to come to the Spring Fling in New England rally, to the show and shine, to get ideas themselves.
I wish I knew that there were more makes of FB campers when I first got our Boler 20+ years ago.
All I knew was about Scamps and Boler at the time.
Don't get me wrong we love our little "Lady Bug" but I think we could have sprung for a 16 footer or larger if we knew then what we do not have the funds for now that we are retired. ha ha ha.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 01:40 PM   #3

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Hello June, and welcome to the forum. Since you are in AL You might also be interested in attending the Green Eggs and Ham rally in Montgomery AL this month.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:36 PM   #4

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hi June,

Welcome!

Rallies are great places to see egg campers and to talk with owners. Laura and I are attending both the Green Eggs and Ham Rally in Montgomery in AL and the Eggs on the Hiawassee in GA. Hope to meet you at one or both rallies.

Take care,

Dean
Old 03-04-2017, 09:26 AM   #5

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Hi June, welcome aboard!
I only knew about Scamps and Casitas when I was starting to think about RVing. (Those run ads in the AARP newsletter) I first looked at stickbuilt RVs- both teardrops and small name brands and ultra lights. I don't call 7500 to 10,000 lbs an untralight myself!
When my worsening back ruled out the Aspen motorcycle popup and teardrops, I then looked at Rpods. Decided they were the answer to a maiden's (matron's) prayer. However, seemed like impossible to buy one without a slide and all the "how to: buy, repair, renovate" videos on YouTube had made me definitely rule out slides. Shortly before the burglar dropped off our 4th cat, we had found some R pods at a local dealership and I most certainly did not like their layout IRL.

Back to the drawing board and I decided, remembering the ads thru AARP, to google Scamp. One of the hits was THIS BOARD! WOWEE! started lurking Immediately!

To me it was just amazing how many different manufacturers of molded fiberglass trailers there really are!

I narrowed the competition down to Parkliner and LilSnoozy, since I live in SE FL and those factories are close to my DS in NC and my DGS in Charleston.

The Parkliner was really impressive! It has an amazing lot of storage space But DH let me know he would be accompanying me on my camping trips- a change from the middle and last decades of our marriage. With him along, and adding in 3 cats..it was doable but just barely. DH is NOT a minimalist, and I wanted to avoid the dinette/bed setup and breakdown. And there would not have been a discreet place for the ultralarge litter pan. (I can see one or two cats in, if the bunk option were active, since the bunks space would be doubled)

The LilSnoozy was fantastic ! It was already all electric (personal reasons- did not want propane, butane or coleman fuel to be part of our rig) had a DEDICATED queensized bed with roomy storage under it, (space for the ultrasized litterpan) a jackknife sofa for additional sleep space, and only weighed 2,400 lbs.

Having used it for about 11 days of camping I can tell you that's a pretty good mattress. I found it necessary to add a mattress cover for both of us comfort, and the cats this last trip stopped trying to escape constantly (they were already used to travelling, but expected every stopover to be back at our weekend lake house)
Oh, and we're up to 4 cats now, as I mentioned.

Have fun looking- getting there is half the fun!

PS if you want to see a particular RV make without travelling to the factory, you can call the factory and ask if there are any owners in your area so you can see them firsthand. I told LilSnoozy I'de be happy to show off my camper to anyone who was close. Shown it 3-4 times since we picked it up.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:40 AM   #6

Name: June
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Georgia
There are so many trade offs to consider in choosing a trailer! Weight/size! This drives the tow vehicle options, it seems. Bigger trailer - bigger tow vehicle - Bigger $$$. I see some clear advantages to keeping it simple!
Also, 5th wheel versus bumper pull (I'm probably not referring to that properly, but you know what I mean). 5th wheel limits your storage space in tow vehicle right?
I am convinced l'll never figure out the perfect choice, but am committed to "pull the trigger" at some point fairly soon, and not sit forever perplexed and do nothing.
I am energized by responses here on the forum - should have signed up long ago!
I do plan to visit Eggs in the Hiawassee in GA, and Green Eggs and Ham in AL too. Fun!
GeorgiaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 11:09 AM   #7

Name: robert
Trailer: scamp
Illinois
Need help. Can't figure fiberglass RV site.

Sent from my XT907 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
robert vogeltanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 06:49 PM   #8

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1999 Casita Spirit Deluxe
South Carolina
Registry
June, the rally will give you all kinds of great ideas! I researched for a year before I went to a rally in TN back in 2012. The "open house" on Saturday allowed Susan and I to see different designs and talk to owners. We decided a 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe is what we needed ... and then we went on the hunt. Found one, an older one that we could afford, and haven't looked back. Tow vehicle is a consideration... the 17' requires a slightly larger tow vehicle - our Mitsubishi Montero was sort of "borderline" but we used it until we could find a used Toyota Sequoia. With the Sequoia, you don't even know it's back there. The main reason we went with the 17' was the fact that it had a bathroom. To this day, we haven't used the shower, but it is nice having a bathroom on board when it's cold out. Suspect this will become even more important as we get older. Like someone in an earlier post said.... the search is half the fun!! Enjoy!
GerthT is offline   Reply With Quote