Hi, I am Kai in Seattle, New - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-20-2015, 05:54 AM   #1

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Smile Hi, I am Kai in Seattle, New

Hello,
My husband, Paul and I are fairly new to this site; we found it when we bought a little old 1984 fiberglass motorcycle trailer to tow behind our Dodge Grand Caravan for an exercise pen for our two pug girls and other equipment we were having a hard time fitting into our van, like a walker
and sometimes wheelchair for me.

The trailer was full of mold and rock chipped on top, but Paul was eager to see what he could do with it--

The first thing we did was look online for "Remove mold from fiberglass," and found this site.

The advice was super, worked great, and we felt really good about it. We're using our little trailer often, so delighted the inside smells decent!

Once we were on this site, inspired by our early (and relatively easy success), we were reminded of the existence of what I used to call "marshmallow trailers" in the 60's. We learned they're called "eggs," not marshmallows, and began reading and looking and reading and looking.

WOW! It's a whole world out there we'd been barely aware of. Suddenly I had to get a fiberglass RV, possibly redo it inside (well, Paul would do the redoing), resurrect something going downhill and bring it back to life...

Two weeks ago today we bought that dark brown 1973 Amerigo in Salem that's been on FGRV for a few weeks--and Paul now has the entire rotted plywood floor out of it and we have the new plywood coming and are debating what to use for the wallboards.

It's been a busy two weeks. We were woefully naïve when we bought it; we thought maybe new curtains and a funny metal sign and we'd be off camping. HAH! BUT the help we've found on this site has been beyond invaluable! The members are just wonderful and we don't know how we could proceed without them.
Kai in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:41 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Kai and Paul!

I remember your discouragement when you first discovered your Amerigo was going to be more of a project than you anticipated. Glad to hear you are persevering. You already know more about your trailer that I know about mine! Best wishes completing the repairs. Hope to read travel reports soon!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:14 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Azur
Trailer: 1980 Burro, 1973 Trillium 1300, 1977 Surfside 14',1975 Boler 13'
Washington
Registry
Hi Kai

Hi Kai,
My name is Azur and I am also in Seattle. I recently started a fiberglass trailer rental company called gogocamper. I have 3 trailers which I am working on. If I can help you out in some way shoot me a note! Or contact me through the website ( under construction!) but functional. gogocamper.com
Congrats on your new purchase
Azur
Azurko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:44 AM   #4

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Hi Kai and Paul. Hang in there all the pain, angst and memories of hard , seemingly unending work, will fade into oblivion when you are able to take your new baby on it's maiden camping trip and people come up and say WOW! what a neat little camper. The pride that comes from renovating one of these little trailers is hard to imagine. Lee and Norma
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:51 AM   #5

Registry
Hi, All,
Thank you for your kind words of encouragement! I spent much of the first week in tears, and it's hard to wipe them away while you're kicking yourself really hard! Then Paul really stepped up and with the help of so many people here, began to feel more and more confident. It has all helped a lot. I've reached a kind of calm (the eye of the storm?). Now that the rotted plywood is out and that "smell" has diminished, it begins to seem as if we can do this...good to hear from you all; this thread is staying at the front of our computer for fast access!
Old 10-20-2015, 12:15 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Welcome

As a fellow Washintonian, I would like to welcome you to the forum.

I hope you will be able to make your first, or nearly first, trip to our WAG:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...pam-71488.html

Just search for "Washington State Fiberglass RV Gathering" on YouTube for presentations of our past glories.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 04:25 PM   #7

Registry
Hi, fellow Washingtonian! We'll do our very best to come, even if the trailer isn't ready yet, because it would be a really valuable meet and we'll probably learn more than we can even imagine! (And who knows, Paul may have great luck and we'll have something to tow down after all.)