Hi, I am Kathy from Maine - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2017, 10:28 AM   #1

Name: Kathy
Trailer: Scamp '19
Maine
Hi, I am Kathy from Maine

My husband and I are looking for a FGTT for our family of 4. Our kids are high school freshmen and my daughter is 5'8" and my son is 6'4". My husband would like the camper to sleep all four of us. Suggestions please? We have a Honda Odyssey, but plan to buy a full-size "farm truck" for a TV.
Kathy Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:47 AM   #2

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Kathy, Welcome to the forum! Since you'll have a full-sized tow vehicle, check out the various floor plans of the 2500 series Bigfoot travel trailers to see if you think you can fit everyone in. I think that's your best chance for the four of you: https://www.bigfootrv.com/
Best of luck....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:59 AM   #3

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Kathy, A couple other options to consider: Depending on the seasons/weather you plan to camp in, I've known some who put a camper on the back of their truck arranged to sleep 1 or 2 people then pull a smaller camper that will sit four for meals and sleep 2-3 people. One person on this forum had what they called their "bed and breakfast" set-up. They pulled with a full-sized 4WD van that they had set up as their "bedroom", and the camper they pulled was set up for eating and lounging (not sleeping). Lots of options to consider if you don't limit yourself to convention!
Old 08-10-2017, 03:43 PM   #4

Maine
Great idea

Thanks, War Eagle. I like the idea of the smaller camper because in a few short years, the kids will be busy with their own lives. We camp in all seasons, so a smaller camper would be easier to heat.

I've also been looking into modified bunkbeds that can securely hold an adult.

This forum is loaded with great ideas and positive comments. I'm looking forward to learning much more.

Thanks again.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:58 PM   #5

Colorado
It's your 6' 4" son (and still growing?) that throws a wrench in the works. The two of you and your 5' 8" daughter would fit comfortably in any number of campers with a queen- or full-sized bed plus a dinette that converts to a bed. What would your son think of sleeping outside in a tent?
I think Escape (ETI; British Columbia) still offers a "Cot" option in their 19' model with queen-sized bed in the rear (you and your husband), a dinette in the front that can be converted to a somewhat less than standard-sized bed (son?), and an option for a cloth cot mounted over the front dinette/bed (daughter?). See the link below, search down the options list for the cot option, then click on the camera icon to view), but you'd need to check with ETI to see if they still offer the cot option. Click on the "Layouts" tab to see how it all fits together. The Escape 19' is a VERY popular model. Note that all prices on their website are listed in Canadian dollars (CAD), so everything is cheaper (currently) in US dollars (check current conversion rate).
The 19 Foot Escape
We have a 2017 Escape 21'. We love the company and love our 21.
Dale
Old 08-10-2017, 05:23 PM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Wisconsin
Hate to be the bearer of bad news(or good) kathy, but your days with the kids staying in the camper are seriously numbered in maybe the single digits. It is exactly why and when we switched over to a smaller fiberglass camper. Our first was a Scamp which we pulled with a Honda Odyssey, such as what you have.

The kids gravitated to the novelty of tents, we to comfort and convenience when we camp now. It was an amicable parting of ways and we still have fun as they join us maybe a couple times a year.
Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:36 PM   #7

Maine
Bunkbed options

The Escape 21 looks very nice. It seems very open.
I found the cot on the 19. Thank you.
Better yet - I found a gaucho bunk on the 17b! I'll call and find out what the weight limit is. Given that there is structure surrounding most of the upper bunk, I suppose it can be reinforced as well.
Yes, he is still growing. Size 15 shoes. He is also a Boy Scout, and loves camping. I don't think he would mind at all. He even has one of those ultra-light backpacking cots. Good idea.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:12 PM   #8

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Camper View Post
... He [son] is also a Boy Scout, and loves camping. I don't think he would mind at all. He even has one of those ultra-light backpacking cots. Good idea.
Perfect! Your son can sleep under the stars and have a nice fire, coffee and breakfast waiting for you when you rise from the your Escape 17B with gaucho bunk! I'm sure there's a merit badge for that, or if not, there should be. Sounds like a done deal to me.
If you're giving serious thought to an Escape, I think you would enjoy and be well-served to join the Escape Form, too, if you're not already a member (Escape Trailer Owners Community). Great information, great people -much like this forum.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:41 AM   #9

Colorado
FYI, over on the Escape Forum:
2016 Escape 17B for sale on East Coast - NJ - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Another thing about fiberglass - they really hold their value....
Old 08-11-2017, 08:50 AM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I agree with all that has been said. You need to be looking for an empty nest trailer, and let the kids fend for themselves, at least your son, who sounds more than up to the task. Most "empty nest" layouts have at least one extra bed.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 05:02 PM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
With your tall son you might have to put a hatch on the side so something can stick out. Either his head or feet. Height will be an issue too. I think you need the truck with a camper on it and the fiberglass egg. Might be better with an egg and a class B camper van. Of course the kids these days seem to be going retro and you kids are old enough to be driving themselves so maybe a VW camper is in order. My grandson wants one so bad.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 05:04 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
What are you going to do in four years when they've left home? My suggestion is a couple of small tents. Let them sleep in tents.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:20 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Ask them if they each want their own tent, or if they want to sleep in the trailer with mummy and daddy.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:44 PM   #14

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Hey Camper Kathy, I'm from Maine too. No matter what you get be sure to consider coming to the 2nd annual Spring Fling in New England Rally I will again host at Chocorua Camping Village in Tamworth NH.
We will be having it in Mid May or 2018 and I have to take care of some final details before I post it but go check out the link from last years Rally and check out the Pictures from one of the last threads in the post.
A great time was had by all.
Keep an eye out for the dates soon to be posted
Gerry
Gerry is online now   Reply With Quote