Hi. I am Lee. I want to trailer but my wife doesn't. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-08-2016, 10:18 AM   #15

Name: Tap
Trailer: 2015 17' Casita SD
Florida
"For the most part stop calling it camping..." Love this! A little psychology never hurt anyone.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:25 AM   #16

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
California
Leebaz is on to something

Personally I love to camp and my husband..not so much. I have a lady friend that I camp with and we have so much fun....but we go out to eat, a lot.
I think for many women camping is work as usual, cooking, cleaning, meal planning etc, just in a smaller space.

My friend and I like to do things on the water, she fishes and I kayak, we both love the woods..but we also do urban camping and go to events, plays, museums...

So,perhaps some though about making your plans around your wife's interests would encourage her to participate? Do you cook for her? If not, learn how!
When we bought our casita the lady of the couple that sold it said she hated camping...her husband set up camp then did his own thing and she was alone while he chased fish. Can't say I blame her!

Old 06-08-2016, 10:40 AM   #17

Name: Thomas
Trailer: 22' Home Built
Ohio
Registry
Hi Lee,
My wife was against it when I first started looking at trailers. She said..."I am NOT a camping girl !!". As it turns out, she is. We just had our first weekend away with two of our good friends in Geneva on the Lake (Erie). We ate out in nice restaurants, we walked through town, the girls talked endlessly at the evening camp fires. We all had the best time. This morning she said that we should try going to Old Man's Cave next week and try to do more of our own cooking...(WHAT ?). And she also said we need to figure out how to take our bicycles. She seemed most happy about all the time we spent together. Two days was just right for the shakedown trip. It was a great learning experience and felt like a small adventure together.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:55 AM   #18

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita 17 Ft SD
California
Perhaps rent a nice fiberglass trailer for a few days and take the wife out and see how she likes it before considering buying a trailer.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:25 AM   #19

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
One year from now you'll look back and wonder why you didn't start a year sooner. You can always make more money, but you can never, ever make more time.

Don't delay pleasure!
I keep telling my wife that, but she still isn't interested. (drumroll)

Anyway, she used to be on board with my camping bug. But then she had some medical issues that precluded travel. Once she got through that she said camping was boring to her and she'd rather stay home (with all the familiar comforts and amenities). But she doesn't mind me going by myself. At first this felt weird, but by the end of the first summer campout (about 10 days) the weirdness had worn off. I now feel liberated when I can go off and spend time enjoying the woods, lakes, & mountains and preparing my own meals. I stop when I want to stop and move on when I want to move on, whereas previously I had to run everything by the co-pilot and adjust to her desires.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:38 PM   #20

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhTom View Post
Hi Lee,
My wife was against it when I first started looking at trailers. She said..."I am NOT a camping girl !!". As it turns out, she is. We just had our first weekend away with two of our good friends in Geneva on the Lake (Erie). We ate out in nice restaurants, we walked through town, the girls talked endlessly at the evening camp fires. We all had the best time. This morning she said that we should try going to Old Man's Cave next week and try to do more of our own cooking...(WHAT ?). And she also said we need to figure out how to take our bicycles. She seemed most happy about all the time we spent together. Two days was just right for the shakedown trip. It was a great learning experience and felt like a small adventure together.
I like the idea of making your first outing(s) with good friends who are more experienced campers (or RVers if you prefer… ). Having female companionship could relieve some of your wife's anxieties. We did not do that on our first tenting trip, but we have gone with friends several times since. We didn't this year, and my wife remarked that she missed having them around. Meals and campfires are lots more fun with a group.

One other late thought is to make sure your wife doesn't get saddled with all the cooking and clean-up, regardless of how it works at home. Our solution is lots of grilling, which I love to do, and I make sure to jump on the dishes after meals. Over time she has willingly pitched in, but in the beginning it was a big unknown to her. Even with a full trailer galley, it will never be the same as home, and that adds anxiety.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:16 PM   #21

Trailer: Looking
TN
Wow! Lots of good suggestions. I think I'll look for a rally nearby, go and observe then try to rent one for a few days and ease into it. Thanks.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:59 AM   #22

Name: Linda
Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Ontario
My guy used to think "roughing it"
meant a hotel without room service. My idea of "roughing it" was sleeping on the ground in a tent with two boards and a large dug out hole for bathroom facilities.

Needless to say we did not vacation together for about 12 years.

Once the ground became too hard for me I bought my 1978 Trillium 4500. The port a potty was an incredible luxury to me! He still went his own way.

Then my grandchildren wanted to come along and I bought my 1980 Boler 17 with a flush toilet, shower, stove with oven, microwave, air conditioner, fridge and kitchen sink.
I stilled owned the Trillium.

Guess who showed up one Saturday morning and was astonished to see me set up perfectly, sitting in my chair totally enjoying my freshly baked muffin and sipping a steaming latte?

He stayed for the rest of the weekend and I haven't been able to convince him to go his own way on vacation time since then.

My point I guess is don't buy anything until you rent the appropriate RV and tow vehicle that will suit your wife and take her on a three day, close to home mini vacation. The majority of us gals can handle Porta potties and stand up out of a basin washing but it really isn't for everyone.

Pack the trailer yourself so all she needs to do is point to her suitcase. She doesn't need to know the work involved in getting the RV ready for winter and then ready for summer and sometimes just ready.

Mine is big enough to be my home away from home but small enough I can tow it with a Dodge Grand Caravan Mini Van. Myself.😊 I'm not camping anymore, that is for certain.

Sadly I sold my Trillium. The kids are growing older, two have kids of their own and still come for the family long weekend but now I think I could downsize to a 15'.

Steve no longer thinks he is roughing it. Up to last year he was pushing for me to sell my Boler but now it is in tip top shape other than the windows needing re caulking and it has grown on him.

He is pushing me to get it out and up to the family Property this weekend instead of our usual July!

There may be hope for your wife to enjoy travelling in an RV but be patient.

Absolutely go with her to a rally to look at the RV'S and chat with owners. Look online at the pictures of the ones for sale. Show them to her.Take up the offer of the couple who invited you to look at theirs. It may take awhile for the idea to grow on her.

Linda
Old 06-09-2016, 04:01 AM   #23

Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
XLNT story Linda. I never had that problem as we were pretty young when we started Rv/camping and the kids came later. Camping was just natural for them but they're adults now and still camp. I do take our SD out a few times a year for the "boys run" in the desert, no women, which my DW calls the guy time. Good times but it's always better to have your SO with you. Glad it worked out for you.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:25 AM   #24

Name: Linda
Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Ontario
Hi Dave,

I was very lucky regarding the camping as my Dad used to take all four of us camping starting as babies. Once it is in your blood it never goes away.

I became a single Mom when both my babies were in diapers but nevertheless I thought nothing about taking them camping at that time. I rented a boat at a marina , filled it with my tent, gear and babies and headed off to an island to camp. Money has always been tight and the island was free. Both "babies" now 49 and 50 still camp.

My daughter is now looking for a fiberglass RV !!! but the prices have gone through the roof.

I have been trying to get Steve to go to the Ontario Bolerama since the Latte incident but being a practical fellow he only wants us to set the Boler up once for the season and that is it. He even bought a "honey pot" to drain black and grey water into so we don't have to move the trailer to drain it.

We set up in the Algonquin Highlands and Bolerama is way the other way and I do see his point but I am itching to see the other Fiberglass RV'S and meet all you folks.

Well I am rambling on so signing off now. This point now that I think about it is we have a convert but unless Bolerama takes place more to the Kawartha's I am SOL.

Linda
Old 06-09-2016, 05:36 AM   #25

Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Well you could always do a "girls run", many women travel alone. From a guys stand point, it may just get him to thinking that he best change a bit or he'll be spending time at home alone. Got one example of a camping convert. A long time buddy used to tent camp. His wife's idea of roughing it was a Holiday Inn. She did start to go tenting with him on occasion but didn't like it. We all camped together long ago for a 3 day weekend in the sticks and I could see she was not liking the lack of "extras" in the tent. After two days I asked her if she would like to take a shower in our RV.....YES. They now have a SOB TT and travel all over. The funniest part was the look on her husbands face when she said yes and his comment to me that I just cost him the price of an RV....priceless.
Old 06-09-2016, 08:42 AM   #26

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Linda, it sounds like you need a small Trillium or Boler for side trips! I chuckled out loud at the part where you snared your husband with fresh muffins and a latte! I get that. Hmmm… They make expresso/steamer machines that work on camp stoves… Father's Day is coming…
Old 06-09-2016, 10:10 AM   #27

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
I spent most of years 5- 32 years of our marriage camping (and vacationing) either alone, with my children, or with fellow Pack and Paddle or Florida Trail Association or Boy Scout friends and associates. While I loved ALL my experiences it was hurtful to me not to be able to reminisce with the one person I saw over breakfast practically every day. Worsening of my back injuries and his hip defect has left us unable to sleep on the ground-even with the airbeds- and I became quite depressed. DH started to promise he would do more travelling with me after he retired, to which I, as a Hospice nurse, responded that "Someday never comes"- Heard that from too many Hospice patient caregivers. I actually had to tell him a few years back that I was initiating a computer search to find travel buddies before he started to do an occasional trip with me.

I did manage to appeal to DH's sense of cheap when we talked about attending the New Orleans World's Fair (1985) and Boston (2012) by showing him hotel rates and then KOA rates. Also Boston's hotels have a "parking charge" amounting to about $75-100 extra each day. Staying at the Koa really made the trips do-able for us.

Tennessee is close to the Parkliner factory in NC and the LILSNOOZY factory in SC. Why don't you suggest a vacation destination in those states to incorporate a tour of those factories?
And as otherwise suggested, take her by an rally so she can visit some of the variety of molded fiberglass trailers?

As an interesting aside, in one of my Boy Scout advanced training classes, the topic was announced as "How to get your spouse on board with camping". After the announcer said that he added "Lady Scouters- This is set up for husbands to get their wives out with them. Sorry we have no idea how to get your husbands to come out camping with you". I have no idea what was discussed in this class since I was in a different one. But good luck...
Old 06-09-2016, 02:42 PM   #28

Trailer: Looking
TN
More good suggestions. Thanks.

I went to a local dealer today (former client before I retired) and looked at a RP-180 R-pod by Forest River (a Berkshire-Hathaway company) and a 232RBXL by Salem Cruise Lite also by Forest River. Both pretty nice but once you've seen an egg it's hard to get enthused by a sardine can!