Hi.. I am Lucy - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2017, 06:54 AM   #1

Name: Lucy
Trailer: Casita 17' SD
Tennessee
Hi.. I am Lucy

I am interested in a 15'+ unit. Must have bathroom w/ shower.
I'm new to travel trailer world, but have read many articles, posts, etc., indicating that Casita is the way to go for many reasons. I'll certainly consider similar units.
I will be using the trailer to travel solo to multi-day horse shows throughout the Southeast, but in a caravan situation with friends in their own trailers. I'm doing a lot of research and think this is a perfect option for my situation.
I live on the "quiet side" of The Great Smoky Mountains, near Maryville TN.
LucyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:27 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Welcome Lucy
A lot of horse people and fisherman use truck slide-in campers that way they can camp and pull their horse trailers or boats. Even with not towing a boat or horse trailer with a Casita you will need either a SUV or pick-up to tow a Casita with a +400 lb. tongue weight. Welcome to the forum.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:37 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Either a 16' Scamp or Casita would fit the bill nicely. In my opinion it's a Chevy-or-Ford thing. People form their preferences and stick with them.

Know that a 16' Casita will be a little heavier than a 16' Scamp as well as possibly harder to find (if you're shopping used). 17' Casitas are much more common but even heavier, especially on the tongue, and typically require a somewhat larger tow vehicle. Check out the thread "Trailer Weights in the Real World" thread in the General Chat section. Post #297 links to a spreadsheet of the data.

Given your location, you might also want to consider Parkliner, built in NC. Only 15', but taller and wider with a very open layout. It's a newer design, so not many used ones out there.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:21 AM   #4

Tennessee
Thank you for info

Thanks so much for the info! My tow vehicle is an F-150 4x4 w/ tow pkg. so I hope to be in good shape there.
Ill look into the info shared so far. I really appreciate it!!
Lucy
Old 01-02-2017, 11:51 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
You're right- you should be fine with pretty much any molded fiberglass trailer that takes your fancy. Enjoy the hunt for the one that's right for you!

It's the wrong season now, but if the right one doesn't turn up over the winter, you might consider visiting a molded fiberglass rally in the spring. There's a link to the Rally Calendar in the "More" tab at the top. The Rally Map is easier to use, but it looks like it isn't updated for 2017 yet. Rallies are a great way to see a lot of different makes and models in one place. Some have a scheduled open house time, while others allow for informal visits, which many participants are happy to accommodate. Contact rally coordinators about scheduling a visit.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 12:02 PM   #6

Tennessee
Smile Other brand mentioned above...

Was just reading their website and apparently there have been some issues that I think I'll let others deal with... sounds like a great product design but, being a newby to RVing, think I better stick with more established products.
I'm very thankful for help and advice from those willing to share!
Old 01-02-2017, 01:42 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyH View Post
Was just reading their website and apparently there have been some issues that I think I'll let others deal with... sounds like a great product design but, being a newby to RVing, think I better stick with more established products.
I'm very thankful for help and advice from those willing to share!
ParkLiner has had some growing pains, but seem to be making a serious effort to improve their quality. We have a new one. It had a bunch of minor problems.
They were willing to let me do the repairs (being a handy sort) and compensate me for time and materials.
Also, they have developed a final inspection check list to make sure they don't miss anything before delivery.
They only build to order. You get to pick from a list of options. To order one, you need to give 25% down. The balance is due at delivery.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 01:50 PM   #8

Tennessee
Other brand...

From what I read, it does seem they are working to resolve any issues in the build and delivery process. I really liked what I saw in the pictures and through the descriptions. It does reflect a goal to produce a quality trailer.
I looked for something to indicate pricing, but didn't find anything. Could you share a price range one could expect? Do you happen to know of any used units offered for sale?

Thank you.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:38 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
From what I read, it does seem they are working to resolve any issues in the build and delivery process. I really liked what I saw in the pictures and through the descriptions. It does reflect a goal to produce a quality trailer.
I looked for something to indicate pricing, but didn't find anything. Could you share a price range one could expect? Do you happen to know of any used units offered for sale?

Thank you.
In the ParkLiner home page, look for the downloadable Options and order form. It says to call or email for 2017 prices.
Ours cost more than our second house. >20K, with our list of options. Their base price went up by 3K last July.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 06:42 PM   #10

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hi Lucy,

Welcome! Wish you the best with your egg hunt. Laura and I bought a new to us Casita a year ago and camped 38 nights this past year, including an egg rally in your neighborhood, Townsend, TN. We have been very happy with our Casita, but there are lots of options for you.

Keep us posted.

Take care,

Dean
Old 01-02-2017, 06:54 PM   #11

Tennessee
Thank you, Laura & Dean! Maybe I can join the next rally in Townsend, which is about 45 minutes from our home. I'm hoping to have my egg by spring!
Thank you for being in touch!
Lucy
Old 01-02-2017, 07:03 PM   #12
ABK

Name: AB
Trailer: Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Georgia
Quote:
Thanks so much for the info! My tow vehicle is an F-150 4x4 w/ tow pkg. so I hope to be in good shape there.
Ill look into the info shared so far. I really appreciate it!!
Lucy
There is a Fiberglass RV rally in Townsend, Tn at the KOA. It is in April and think the dates are 13, 14, 15, 16, 2017. There will be many of the most popular FG RV's and most all travelers would your visit and questions. Come around and see us Fri or Sat.

Brad
ABK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:00 PM   #13

Tennessee
Thank you for the dates for the Townsend rally! I'll put that on my calendar now to be sure and not miss it! I'd love to meet and talk with other owners! Maybe I'll be one by then!
Lucy
Old 01-02-2017, 09:25 PM   #14

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hi Lucy,

Laura and I attended several egg rallies this past year. We really enjoy them. Great folks and lots of opportunities to learn from more experienced egg campers.

See ya in the Campground!

Dean