Hi I am, Marc - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2018, 02:47 PM   #1

Name: Marc
Trailer: In the market
Alabama
Hi I am, Marc

Wife and I are beginning to look at TT. The perceived quality of the Oliver got me interested in FG TT? I think we want something a little larger. Will be eager to learn about the various brands and the advantages of FG over the others. I am eager to learn from this group.
aufan1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 04:01 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Marc!

Bigfoot 25 is the only molded fiberglass model in current production bigger than an Oliver. Though technically smaller, the Escape 5.0TA is pretty roomy due to the efficient fifth wheel layout. Bigfoot, Escape, and Oliver are all high quality units, though different in details.

And that's about it on the large end. Even though all-molded construction is theoretically scaleable, there are practical limitations to working with giant molds. Bigfoot once made a 28' all-molded model, but it was short-lived.

All-molded trailers are not available with pop-outs, tip-outs, and slide-outs, which further limits the space inside. The lack of internal superstructure framing may be one reason.

The big advantage of all-molded construction is the lack of panel seams to leak and internal framework to rot. Because of that, resale is much better than conventional RV's.

Best wishes in your research!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 04:30 PM   #3

Alabama
Wow, thanks for the info! Really appreciate it!
Old 08-25-2018, 04:55 PM   #4

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Consider the size of your potential trailer and your real needs. If you are going from camping in a tent to an FGRV then a 13' trailer will seem luxurious. That was the case for us. Really, for two people you need a place to get out of inclement weather, a place to sleep, cook, eat and get dressed. Most campgrounds have decent bathrooms, (even the outhouses are clean nowadays) and showers and so, are not needed in a trailer. A small porta-potty gets the job done in the nighttime or in an emergency. The more basic your trailer, the easier it is to maintain. 'Just sayin...
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:18 AM   #5

Alabama
Thanks so much , great info!
Old 08-26-2018, 10:22 AM   #6

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
We call our 16' Amerigo our "two-bedroom unit" as it has two twin-type beds, dedicated seating, an adequate galley and relatively good storage. One floor-to ceiling shelved closet and a front "putin niche" that has a clothes rod (great for airing out damp things and holding jackets, etc.), our portapotty, laundry bin, folding dining and game table, doggy gate, and two big wall pockets for shoes and toiletries. It is plenty spacious enough for the two of us and our two dogs. BUT the beds are relatively narrow, Paul's is 28" wide and mine is 32" wide. My sister was appalled, but we manage fine, and I'm horizontally gifted. One dog sleeps on my bed and the other underneath in a "nest."

We have an electric ice chest, a microwave, a ceramic heater, and a butane cookstove for outside. We use burnable paper plates and try to cook with the least amount of washing up necessary, as we don't have a sink or running water in there. We have a 6-gallon water bottle with a spigot that we found at Winco, our favorite grocery store in the water section, that fits under the galley and perches on the galley counter when we're parked. We were using emptied pop bottles but chasing them around was getting real old.

We rebuilt the inside and narrowed the galley by two inches so we had more room to walk past each other; we appreciate the extra interior space.

So--a 16' trailer works for us. YMMV.

BEST
Kai
ai as in "wait"
Attached Thumbnails
Peanut 8 2016 A.jpg  
Old 08-26-2018, 10:48 AM   #7

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Marc,
Notice the "glamping" touches in Kai's trailer. There are many fellow glampers out there who believe half the joy of owning a camping trailer is the fun decorating options inside and out!
Attached Thumbnails
Doug's art and Scamp 031.jpg   Doug's art and Scamp 030.jpg  

Doug's art and Scamp 028.jpg   Doug's art and Scamp 026.jpg  

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 12:46 PM   #8

Name: Bob
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
Consider the size of your potential trailer and your real needs. If you are going from camping in a tent to an FGRV then a 13' trailer will seem luxurious. That was the case for us. Really, for two people you need a place to get out of inclement weather, a place to sleep, cook, eat and get dressed. Most campgrounds have decent bathrooms, (even the outhouses are clean nowadays) and showers and so, are not needed in a trailer. A small porta-potty gets the job done in the nighttime or in an emergency. The more basic your trailer, the easier it is to maintain. 'Just sayin...
I'd just make sure you have a good handle on your anticipated camping. I'd quibble about the cleanliness of at least a quarter of the campsite vault toilets I've visited in the last five years (and I'm not real picky), and many of those campsites (often USFS CGs or similar) are miles from any shower, much less one available to campers (some sites you're lucky if there's a well with a hand pump within a decent walk). Of course, for many, that doesn't describe their preferred campgrounds. FWIW, I've spoken with a few Oliver owners who go places like I've described, and chose their rig because it was well set for that.
FishingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 01:17 PM   #9

Registry
I have long carried "rubber shoes" like crocs or "jellies" to wear into the various public bathrooms (I wear crocs almost all the time anyway) because they can so easily be washed, and they keep my bare feet (camping: bear feet) out of whatever's on the floor. Then I can easily give 'em a rinse and a wash if I feel I want to.

Kai
Old 08-26-2018, 01:21 PM   #10

Registry
Gilda: wow, I'm honored you said we had glamping touches in our trailer. I love decorating it but I hadn't considered we'd managed any glamping. That was two-plus years ago, too. We've labored on it since.

BEST
Kai

ai as in wait