Hi! I am Maureen - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2015, 11:05 AM   #1

Name: Maureen
Trailer: Ordered a Scamp 16
California
Wink Hi! I am Maureen

I have ordered a Scamp 16 after an exhausting search of trailers and motor homes that might meet my needs. I am recently widowed. My husband and I have had an RV continuously - though not the same vehicle! - since 1975. Now, I am downsizing from a 26 ft travel trailer pulled by a Ford Expedition. I now have a Subaru Outback 6 cyl. It has some load restrictions - 3,000 lbs, 200 lb hitch weight. My plan is to continue the great trips that I enjoyed with my husband. Most of my trips will be solo, accompanied by my 7 yr old Bengal kitty. I live in the Los Angeles area.
Maur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:20 AM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Maureen, you a likely to exceed your max tongue weight.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 05:09 PM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Maureen, you a likely to exceed your max tongue weight.
Good thing to consider.. does your rating change if you use a weight distributing hitch? I know that my veh is rated for 350 lbs tongue weight, but if I use a WDH hitch it goes up to 500. (Also in my case, anything over 2000 requires sway control).
PS.. condolences on your loss, and welcome to the ONE ON ORDER club! It can be painful at times to be waiting.. but we can commiserate while still doing research.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 05:26 PM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Ummm.... Loss?

If you are referring to my recently posted story about my Trillium going missing, it was in the impound lot. That was just another romantic date with my wife. She is such a lucky girl.

Since I possess six, (no not a typo) Trilliums, my wife has told me that is enough till I fix-up and sell at least two of them.

You may be thinking of another Dave. There are so many of us.

My condolences on the loss of your husband though. That has got to be tough. I can't even imagine.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 05:39 PM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Opps.. Sorry.. my message was actually to Maureen, but I quoted your comment for her review. As the kids say, My bad.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 05:46 PM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Maureen, welcome! Yes, it would be all too easy to exceed the 200 lb hitch limit. I suggest that you carry a bathroom scale and a short piece of wood (or something similar) so you can check that hitch weight from time to time. Also, it would be a good idea to have a sway bar installed to make sure the trailer doesn't start to sway, since your hitch weight will probably be only around 8% of the total trailer weight. With those things you should be fine. More than one person on here has towed a 16' Scamp with a similar hitch weight limitation; it just needs a little extra attention and precaution, that's all.

Which floor plan did you settle on?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote